The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I think a good interview with Susie Schoelkopf on the towerheads web page. She makes some interesting points and seems to know what is going on.I thought it was informative,although I don't know much about those rules.

I think a good interview with Susie Schoelkopf on the towerheads web page. She makes some interesting points and seems to know what is going on.I thought it was informative,although I don't know much about those rules.

I wonder, however, if her obvious ire at Alan Balch stems from the fact she was one of the individuals removed from an AHSA committee under his term. Hmmmmmmmmm? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

Just think they have to up the anti and permit higher drug levels because the new tests can find the drugs too easy!

Cut me a break! What's wrong with zero tolerance at our hunter shows we don't have make rules for everybody RIGHT! Isn't that the whole idea of the umbrella? And, if we have a reason for the drugs then go through channels for the old horses that need help. I still think it wouldn't hurt for horses to have drug limit cards if a veterinarian is willing to certify the need.

But, why should a young healthy Green Hunter on his way up need drugs?

She's a joke! Right I should go to Leo Conroy! He didn't even bother to come to the convention himself and that's her buddy. No one in Zone 2 has had a chance to get elected to to the Zone Committee because they are the ones who want only to be surrounded by people who agree with them or are guaranteed not to dissent.

The only way to get on the Zone 2 Committee is to wait for someone to die of old age, and be so innocuous that you never have a personal opinion. UNLESS, you are part of their very special group.

And, if you want to know about the NHJC just look at the records. I just posted the financial reports and I won't make accusations, I think you're all smart enough to figure it out for yourself.

http://www.hunterjumper.org/Reference_new.htm

I have no doubt that the reason that Sunday was such a dreadful meeting (in the opinion of SS friends) was because Alan Balch actually permitted someone to speak up about problems without being shut down by the Zone Committee or the NHJC.

And, if you want to believe they care about anyone's opinion but their own then you tell me how the Rule Change to give New Jersey a fair break got passed unanimously at the meeting (and many of the Board of Governors were there) and then turned down!

Why should anyone spend money and time to make such self-serving "leaders" feel more important than they are by attending useless meetings. Don't try to say I'm self-serving just because I tried to represent the opinions and problems that we beat up on this BB for a year. There's a difference I'm not trying to perpetuate the worship of "elitism" but to make this sport affordable and goals achievable "heaven's what a concept" to people who maybe can't afford it because they think that children should go to school. OH! Yes! I forgot they call their idea of elitism the "pursuit of excellence. Imagine I'm such a low life because I think children should go to school and that every responsible adult should contribute their labor to society in any way they can.

The so-called bottom is not LOWER VALUED, nor is it less important, just because we choose a different life style. I believe there are 100's of really talented young riders who don't know the "right" people to buy them a million dollar horse.
    We talked plenty about how that works if you're cooperative.

SS is part of the self sustaining incestuous ledership that refuses to let anybody else in. They're the ones you can't disagree with. Alan Balch aggrivated them because he opened the doors and invited everyone to the meeting. Sure from the point of view of SS that's a real waste of time and we really ought to know our place and be willing to recognize their competence.

Reminds of of the old plantation owner who just wanted to take good care of his little slaves. Well, for my part I am thrilled that we have so many people out here thinking and suggesting and beginning to understand. I believe Alan Balch and the other AHSA Leaders are glad to hear from us. I know a lot of them were, even if it wasn't the NHJC where I'm supposed to be a MEMBER. MS.S would be really surprised by the number of very important people who have contacted me an agree. It really too bad so many are afraid for their jobs if they say something to displease the wrong people.

I know I'm weird but as a Member of this sport and one who is supposed to be represnted in this association, I don't think I need to go and beg for their approval. If an idea is good it should be considered, modified or adjusted if necessary or if it isn't good then deal with the problem in some other way.

What kind of a leader says well, I didn't consider the ideas because they weren't in the right forum. Well, maybe someday Zone 2 will have a meeting that isn't between classes at a AA Show so us lowly commoners can attend and talk with the high and mighty.

[This message was edited by Snowbird on Mar. 02, 2001 at 02:30 AM.]

Wow and whew snowbird.I didn't get the same inmpression from reading the interview as you who certainly have more inside information than we bbs do.I know that from my pt of view in Zone1 I think the NHJC reps do a good job for the zone and our finals are the highlight of the year for me and my friends to attend.To say that people are afraid to speak up because they might loose a job is the craziest thing I ever heard.

No doubt about it! She has a big bee in her bonnet about that....

It was my good fortune (ha ha??) to be perched on the rail in Detroit a few years back, with SS holding court from her golf cart nearby. I say holding court, as she was giving a lengthy discourse on Alan Balch, his alleged shortcomings, the shortcomings of the AHSA, and the shortcomings of almost everyone - (execept herself, of course!)

Having never known this woman, this was fascinating to me that she was so stridently opinionated in almost every area. There was no room for disagreement. And this discourse was so vehement and so loud - well, it was amazing is all I can say.

There is a given that she is knowledgeable and experienced. Too bad some of that cannot be used in a more constructive manner by being less inflexible.

do people take such offense at those with opinions. You may not agree with Susie but at least give her credit for standing up and forming an opinion!

I read the article and didn't see anything that could be construed as an attack on Vikki.

Yes Susie had some criticism of Mr Balch but she has been pretty open and honest about her feelings for him from the get-go. Anyone who has read letters she wrote to the COTH and other articles where she has been quoted wouldn't find this to be new news.

You may agree with Susie or not but at least she is an involved professional. She has a sucessful horse business, is an active judge, puts on shows and is involved in commitiee work.

My question is why aren't there more like her?

I am sure there are more like her.

IMO given the number of people who are "professional" trainers, horse show managers, judges, etc... the number who are actively involved outside of their own little world is appalingly small.

Worse yet are the number of AHSA members who have never even cracked a rule book let alone attend a meeting or event.

I may not agree with Vikki very often but at least she puts her "money where her mouth is" too.

It is appallingly small.

Unfortunate, but one cannot legislate "being involved" to those who are determined to sit on their hands...

The uninvolved are the ultimate losers.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

havaclu, I beg to differ. There is a very large amount of "professionals" involved in the happenings of this industry. Maybe it's your zone that leads you to think otherwise. The numbers are more of the professionals, than the amateurs. Which is a another bone of contention for many. I do agree completely with you on "the numbers of members who have cracked a rule book", that is laughable and sad!

People don't seem to take an interest till something goes awry. Then they jump on what ever box that is available. My feeling is we should try to stop the situation before it gets out of hand. Make an issue of not going to the convention. Committee's members should do this. Also, one committee per participant. NO 2-3 committees, no one wins with those numbers.

You got that right!

I think we have a "symantics" disagreement.

When I say number who are involved - I'm looking at the total pool of folks involved - every person who teaches, every person who shows, etc. Not just the "card carrying" members.

Granted we all don't have to belong to the AHSA but if you are a professional with a business shouldn't you have some affiliation? shouldn't you at least be involved at the local level?

Thanks Havaklu!! You're right....

When Jimmie Carter was the President he complained about the "Malaise" of the people.

The lack of involvement is directly related to the degree at which you feel that there is some purpose to be accomplished. People don't bother to go to meetings to be preached at or lectured to on the issues.

Don't misunderstand, no one including Alan Balch is all bad or all wrong. SS seems to think the apathy is from the outside and it's not. We've proved that it's from the inside and the basic structure.

Sure, there are people who are still in a trance and only worry about what color britches match what color jacket but there are also thousands of talented and intelligent people who would be glad to contibute opinions and talent if they knew someone cared.

The problem with power is that it tends to be self-sustaining. It's a whole lot easier to deal with the 5 people who make up an executive committee that a room full of people asking for explanations.

Being in charge and a leader has a responsibility that goes with it to be responsive. So while I can respect the time, effort and money that the present group have spent being involved I cannot appreciate the fact that the system is not democratic and does not make use of opportunities to reach out and welcome new ideas and new ways of seeing what is happening. When you are too close to a situation with people who all agree then you can't take an objective view.

I can respect the AHSA for recognizing that. For example the "Rule Book". Portia has taken on the job of re-organizing it from a new perspective. Those too close didn't see the problem, a new mind and new eyes see it more clearly.

On the issue of drugs and medications, I don't want a committee that tells the veterinary and the Drugs and Medication people what is acceptable. I want a drugs and medication program where the best interests of the horses are first and I trust the vets for that. As people we can adjust our methods to accomodate the horses needs.

There are people who pay their mortgage by being an AHSA licensed judge or steward, there are people who make their living selling products in this industry and they are intimidated when they fear they will lose their job.

Peggy Fackrell in California disagreed with making the $3.00 fee per horse a mandatory part of the Zone program. She is a licensed official and a show manager, because she disagreed she was fired by Larry Langer. As soon as I can scan them in I will publish her letter to Larry Langer as an Official of Zone 10, and his reply to her.

They say it's not mandatory, but the show must pay the $3.00 if the exhibitor doesn't pay. Now, if you're an exhibitor and you refuse how popular will you be with the show manager who pays for you?

Should we not move that to it's own thread Snowbird? Not that we don't want to read it, but since this is about the interview, just a thought.

of the way the NHJC which SS says functions so well actually is headed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

The example you give about the woman who was fired by Larry because she held different views isn't a result of the NHJC - it is a result of the fact that Mr. Langer "owns" lots of shows and can determine who he hires.

That bit of power was created by the AHSA not the NHJC.

Lets keep our cause and effect straight...

I'm just back to this thread after reading the interview last night. As you brought up earlier, I applaud people that have strong opinions, the courage of their convictions, and the fortitude to stand up for them. I wasn't trying to bash SS's opinions, just trying to shed some light on the fact that we all come upon many of our opinions through our personal experiences.

Ms. Schoelkopf is entitled to her opinions,as are all the posters on the BB. Though I've never met either of them, I guess if she spoke about Snowbird directly as an opinion, Snowbird has the right to do the same.

As ohnowwhat's recollection points out, her observation of Ms. Schoelkopf produced her version of the very same behavior she was slamming Alan Balch for. Am I defending Alan Balch? No, never met the man and couldn't speak to his demeanor in his job. However, it is interesting to me that several posters found it possibly an issue of the pot calling the kettle...well, you know. That's just my opinion.
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

I also thought the interview was informative and well-balanced. Snowbird, are you sure you didn't take offense when none was meant -- i didn't see SS pointing fingers at anyone. I did get the impression that there exists a protocol within the current structure and there are ways of getting your voice heard. Perhaps you feel these avenues are closed off to you because you've become a watch dog for the industry? I do have one question though ( for anybody who knows) -- I thought the Zones all elected their officers -- and it was an election open to the members of that Zone. Am I wrong? If it's an open election, I say get your name on the ballot, Snowbird! A dissenting voice working within the power structure and not outside of it can be incredibly effective. Your ideas are so well thought out and innovative, I'm sure the Zone members would vote you in! Anyone familiar with how Zone 2 does their elections and when a new slate of officers is due to come in?