The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WANTED: Tackroom rejects, single leg wraps, random, sad, lonely, or unneeded items

After spending 8 years as an instructor employed in a relatively wealthy area, I moved to the North Carolina mountains to attend college. Living up here has made it clear to me that although there are many children interested in horses, there are very few qualified instructors, nor can most people afford lessons.

A fellow instructor and I want to offer horsemanship camps and basic (pony club style) instruction to local children as cheaply as possible over the summer months. I grew up with, and have always taught with a strong emphasis on horsemanship, horse care, medical care, etc. but I don't have the materials available to teach more than the basics of it to our students at the moment.

I would love to provide a home for any bits and pieces of random equipment that you are not using anymore. For example, a single leg wrap and a few scraps of cotton bandaging material can provide repeated lessons on wrapping, wound care, etc.

A collection of single boots that have lost their mates can still teach kids the differences between boots and how/why they're used, as well as how to properly put them on.

Old horse magazines, books, pamphlets, and posters are great for rainy day games and projects.

Old supplement buckets and worn out brushes are great for mounted games (collect the grooming tools in order from around the arena and deposit in the bucket)!

Etc.

I can try to provide a list, but at this point I think just about anything that someone might have sitting around would be put to good use. Even non-horsey things like balls or small cones would be welcome.

Of course, if you had small items such as an old pair of safety stirrups missing their rubbers, or a grab strap or old knotty lunge line, etc. I would be so incredibly appreciative. We do have two safe horses and some basic safe tack, so now I am looking for ways to expand and enrich the kids experiences with other aspects of horsemanship.

I can potentially help cover shipping costs, although we're pretty broke (albeit older) college students.

I would love to hear from you via private message or email (rowan@cannells.com) if you think you might have something you'd like to move out of your space and on to somewhere it will be used and appreciated!

Thanks for any help!

I'd love to give you a like-new schooling helmet, it's ASTM not SEI approved, only used once. I also have a horrible webbing girth, never been used and not entirely sure how it made it's way into my tackroom. I can make you a little care package.

I will check my tack room. I am sure I have some old polos that are in good condition but I never use them; I think some rubber bell boots; maybe some other things. I have not had the heart to throw them away because they are still useable, just not used.

Thanks very much! That's just what I was thinking of, S1969. I know that tack rooms are perfect collectors of the older and unused, but still usable. I used to have the random collection of polos, bits, and spare boots as well, and actually ended up sending them to a riding school to use when I moved up here - go figure!

Didn't think I'd be getting right back into teaching after college, but horses are not a life that one gives up easily (or at all, apparently)! I tried to stop when I came to college, and it lasted all of about 2 months before I was trading riding lessons for sewing lessons.

I've got a girth or two I can send along, as well as a few other bibs and bobs like brushes, etc. Are you only looking for English tack? Or Western as well? I've got some split reins that have lost their mates, as well as some curb chains and chin straps that are no longer presentable but still usable.

It sounds mushy, but I really feel thankful to be part of such a fantastic community. The horse world is pretty special. Thanks for those who have offered to send some odds and ends, we are incredibly appreciative.

I had a lucky break today and learned that the local university's construction/building science department had just torn down their housing projects from the spring semester and were going to have the wood hauled away. My SO does some work with that department, so we were able to go and salvage a car load of lumber tonight and use their saw to cut it down. Now that it is nail free and cut to length, there will soon be some cavaletti and pole bending poles at the farm!

i have a big box of old halters,saddle pads, reins, etc i'll send if you want them. pm your mailing address.

please post or pm your address. I have some things you might be able to use, and I could use the space.

Default We have a bunch of misc. stuff

Please send along your mailing addy. We are doing a barn cleanout this month and I will have a whole bunch of stuff for you. I applaud your efforts! Best of luck.

PM me your address, I have books, magazines and assorted tack. You are doing a great thing!

I have some stuff if you want to send an address