The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

This is a TB that came to me with his foot waaaayyyy out in front. Tons of toe and nothing underneath the wall untill half way up his foot.After cutting away all the loose wall I stuck dental impression material on the sole to give him some support and nailed on a shoe so he could walk. After it grew out he was fine and went on to be a A circut hunter.
    I have a few really neat pictures with the wall mostly gone and blood all over the place, but I have to get them scanned in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FiddleNFSoleEquilox.jpg 
Views:	1868 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	7951  

This is the first picture with the toe chopped off,

Name:	FiddleNFLateralView1.jpg 
Views:	1504 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	5786  

HossShoer, did you see changes in the coranary region as the foot returned to normal? If so, what changes?
    December 13 - National Day of the Horse!
    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish Clique *

This horse's coronary band was pinched and sorta puckered up at the front and virtually straight on the sides and hooked in hard at the heal. By cutting of the front of the foot and 3/4 of the way up the wall at the toe the pinching pressure of the long toe was relieved and the coronary band just popped out over a few days.I think the measurement from the apex of his frog to the toe was almost 3 inches when I got him. It was about 1 1/2 inches when he left. A lot of farriers that I know are reluctant to be so aggressive on a client's horse because they can get pretty sore for awhile and it does not always work, so they don't want to be resposible. On my own horses I usually put the foot where I think it should be right off the get go. Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't. But at least I know in a few weeks not months. On this horse I figured it was something in his back or hips and had him cracked a few times and ponied for a month to get in shape before even putting a saddle and rider on him.

This is just what ya wanta see when you get home from a long day at the office and you're ready to go ride for awhile.

Name:	Wilt_Rip_1.jpg 
Views:	1472 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	5900  

Wilt is a 15 yr. 17.2hh Han. G. with the toughest feet in the world. I've him since he was 6 and I hardly ever shoe him. Anyway last spring he was out being Joe Stud and ordering around everyone in the field and ripped up his back foot. I cut off the rip above the cononary band and wrapped it with a poltice for a month or so and stallrested him for 3 months. Then put on just a plain shoe and filled the sole with the Equithane Quick set, the really hard stuff and turned him out till the shoe fell off.Now you have to be down on your hands and knees with your nose a few inches from the seam where the rip was to see the area where he ripped off his heal. I deal with a lot of old quarter cracks and they never seem to heal up like this one did. I think the extended stall rest was the best thing to do.

[This message was edited by HossShoer on Jan. 05, 2003 at 12:07 PM.]

Name:	Wilt_Rip_2.jpg 
Views:	1307 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	5789  

wow! That was one helluva gauge!

Wondering if anybody has any opinions on this--4 year old TB, has had a rank nasty Quarter crack for almost a year. FINALLY getting some foot to grow--previously there wasnt enough to even get a shoe on for support.
    Any opinions about treatment?

Name:	various_102502_001.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	8907  

I'd sure be inclined to back that toe up a lot. looks to me like it's jammin up the coronary band, thus less growth and thus the crack. did this one race???

Crieseda, I have a question.

Cressy's hoof looks great, from the side, but when I looked at the picture of the sole, it looks like there is a lot of sole past where the point of the frog is. I always thought that was bad. Yet, with Cressy's foot, if you cut off that toe closer to the point of the frog, you'd darn near cut the toe off.

Am I wrong with my impression that you aren't supposed to have quite so much sole after the point of the frog? Forgive my ignorance - I don't know much about this subject, but I am THRILLED with this thread. I can LEARN here!!

Thanks.

Ha...HossShoer...you beat me to it http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I agree, get the toe backed up to get the pressure off the coronary. Get the heels back under him where they belong. Whole foot is moved forward.

Hi Elisabeth...yes, the best "formula" to use, is to try and get 1/3 of the foot in front of the widest part of the foot (somewhere near the apex of the frog) and about 2/3 behind. The heels (where the wall hooks into the bars) need to be back where the widest part of the frog is...approx. where the straight edge of the frog strarts to round. Generally, just chopping toes off isn't enough. You have to make sure that breakover is enhanced. Generally the best way to determine correct breakover is to use x-rays to determine where P3 lies, but you can also tell from the toe calouse that protects the tip of the coffing bone. The toe should lie just ahead of that and to enhance breakover, a bevel should be applied from the bottom upward across the bottom edge of the toe.

OK, I didn't want to get too carried away and get people mad, but if this is truly a learning experience, then I should say what I think. I appologize if I step on anyone's toes, but we can't learn if we don't discuss things either. The following is MO only and should be taken as such. I do not claim to be an expert http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Cressy's feet are excellent to use as an example of what doesn't look too bad, but really isn't well balanced at all. Since a couple of people commented on those particular feet, I will make my first observations on those.

Observing the striping in the hoof wall, you can see that they are "curved" looking. There is a slight dish in the foot...this means the horn tubles are not growing straight....toe wants to run forward and heel will go with it.

In the solar view, it is quite obvious that the heels are slightly underrun and not pulled back to the widest part of the frog. IMO, they are starting to contract and could eventually become a problem. The foot is evenly spit 50/50 front to back on either side of the intersection of the widest point of the foot. Althouhgh it appears the toe is being backed up, it is not being taken back aggessively enough.

Fairweather...let's get your prerspective on some of these feet. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Here's a couple of feet that might give you a clearer picture of the long/short idea.
    I can't remember which horse this was but it's a new one cause the nails on the shod foot sure aren't mine. I tend to drive 'em in as high as they will go. The toe is gone on the other one.

Name:	Long_Short.jpg 
Views:	1416 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	7880  

Ok I have some time before dinner to post my new pics.

I am aware the feet are all underrun, etc. But I have gained some valuable insight from fresh looks this board has that open my eyes to other problems.

Oh - and just to keep you all updated - if you didn't follow the last thread with Java's feet. heheh These are the 1st shoeing into fixing underrun heels and poor angles. We have determined his heels are too long and underrun which causes the bad angles in the xrays - particularly behind. The front angles were "ok" according to the vet, but I didn't personally see them yet. The shoer squared off the toes, left the heels and set the shoes back all around. Next shoeing we are prepared to take it further.

I am looking for comments about what to talk to my shoer about next shoeing. I don't think these can be fixed in one more shoeing, but I want to stay focused and not let them get worse or no better.

Of course, pictures can only say so much with some accuracy. Angles, details and other things are probably hard to nail down with pics... but we try.

I see some interesting stuff behind this post that I have catch up on after dinner! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

martha

I edited to put the feet in the right order... hopefully it updated the picture, otherwise, sorry - the labels are correct, they aren't orderly.

[This message was edited by mcmIV on Jan. 05, 2003 at 08:25 PM.]

Name:	Javafeet.jpg 
Views:	1407 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	8912  
    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

Martha, why does this horse not have corks and inner rim snow pads if it's in Chicago????
    On ice, plain shoes are like skates.
    Why not let him go barefoot for the winter if you're just riding him in a arena???
    Otherwise it looks good to me. Nice short toe, esp. on the rears. Lots of shoe at the back of the foot. If he's sound and travels OK look after your farrier if he shows up` on time and whatever he's charging you it's not enough.LOL

Hoss - he has little nails with borium on em at the back of each. You bet I was paranoid about ice skates! Those things are working like magic. He is cantering little tiny circles now days without any slippage in the outdoor. I think he's feeling better. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I can't STAND the noise they make when he turns around on the cement though.... it hurts my ears. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

He has been barefoot for about 6 months. His feet hold up GREAT but the underrun toe and long heel caused us to put the shoe back to hold the foot up for corrections. Vet's advice. Can't hurt to put the shoes on for this.

I told the shoer I want them off in a few months with no more toes too long and the heel where it belongs. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

The vet he saw for his bonescan said he "doesn't have enough hoof wall for his size". I didn't ask her to clarify - and I have no idea what she meant. I wish I had.

His feet aren't huge, but they are normal sized. She said he needed shoes on or he would wear his heel down too fast by nature of his foot construction. I think it was just a vicious circle of the toe too long and not breaking over and then the heel got too long and you know the rest.

His back xrays were severly broken angles.

This new farrier is pretty cool. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif He charged me $98 all around for all new shoes and lots of talking and looking and talking and fixing. He called me 5 times to set up this first appointment, in ONE DAY. I was impressed. I'm keeping him. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

martha
    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

This is a "I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW TOUGH STANDARDBREDS ARE" picture, This mare had her foal in Ontario, was shipped to Pa. to be bred and shipped back to Ontario. In Pa. they figured she was foundering, so in their infinite wisdom slapped a acrylic product, that will remain nameless, all over her foot, wall and sole.
    When she got off the van here she was broken leg lame and the infection was to the ankle. The stable guys said you could even smell it. The big time vet college, which is also nameless, said to put her down, impossible to save. Well the farm's regular farrier was away and I was the first to call back. Oh lucky me NOT. Anyway I figured a heartbar was the answer. The farm vet ran enough drugs into her she could have raced. The left foot was not as bad as the right, but close. This mare survied in spite of me and is still kicking out foals. I have no idea what she was worth, but the attitude at the farm was "Do all ya can to save her" So when someone suggest "Let's slap`on a little acrylic to ......cover up that hole, or hold on that shoe or make the foot look better or,,,,,,
    think real hard about this picture.I know I do every time I glue on shoes.

Name:	Standardbred_Mare.jpg 
Views:	1435 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	4826  

Can you critique my feet?
    Or, rather, my 3 y/o's feet back when they were 2 y/o feet. You can really see the left one, it's kinda chomped off by the camera, but, yeah. I know basically nothing about feet but Zigg's seem to be a bit soft/prone to bruising. He drags his toes along in a horrible manner. The ploddiest 3 y/o I ever did meet. At anyrate, I think we're putting him in shoes once he gets broke (this spring) even though he won't be in hard work, just elementary stuff until he's 4 and his bones are finally finished. Shoes or no shoes?

I'll try to get a better pic sometime but at the minute our entire farm is a muddy mess and I'm not sure I'm willing to show you a picture of the mud. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif And, no, I don't consider it weird that I have a random picture of my horse's feet on the computer. Not at all. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
    "I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

Name:	ziggyfeet.JPG 
Views:	1168 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	4777  

Oh, and here're my old mare's feet. She went barefoot year round. They were great feet! Much better than the horse, actually... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif But, they rarely chipped, cracked, etc. She was never lame from having footsie problems. Actually, she was the healthiest horse I ever met in all respects... How is that the worse they are the sounder they are, just so you don't have an excuse not to ride them? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
    "I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

Name:	marnyfeet.JPG 
Views:	1075 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	8661  

This is a GP jumper mare that kicked in her stall, a lot.That's a nail with the head of it in her foot, just short of the P3. ( The Vet has the x-ray and still keeps it for lectures.) We pulled it with a pair of vice grips. It bled a little and was on antiboiotics for awhile. But she was back to work in no time at all.

Name:	Nail_in_Toe.jpg 
Views:	1169 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	6597