The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saratoga Bandages

Anybody use them? How do you like them? I have 4 and love them, they have held up really well too.

What do you think of them as an alternative to leather boots or polo wraps in the equitation ring?

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I use them in the rain or wet conditions , they shed water , but hold to much heat for regular everyday riding.. If you want something with just as much support try trace bandages .. Both types however are not for those who don't know how to wrap properly . I will use light sheet cotton under trace wraps too, and have used them in Eq classes and jumping , they offer much more support than boots although I have used boots on top of trace bandages too.

I love them. They are the only wraps I use for flatting. They support much better than Polos too. I don't like jumping in them though, I'd much rather use boots with a strike guard.

Quote Originally Posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
    Anybody use them? How do you like them? I have 4 and love them, they have held up really well too.

What do you think of them as an alternative to leather boots or polo wraps in the equitation ring?
    Ok. I will ask here and not my daughter, she asked me to get her saratoga bandages? But i ordered two sets of eskadron climatax wraps? Is that the same? Or close, another friend said the other option was equi fit wraps? With rubber on the inside?

When I was eventing I used Saratoga bandages over top of Porter boots for cross country. They don't let in water, so you don't end up with soggy boots, and they don't let the Porter boot move an inch.

I wouldn't use them for anything else though, if I'm flatting I will just use plain polos.

Does anyone use them over the Eskadron Climatex liners? I love my Saratogas and my jumping boots but they both make my horse's legs SO hot.

Sorry, but no wraps or boots "support" anything. They offer protection from interference/jump rubs and that's pretty much it.

I don't believe any boots or wraps "support" anything either, as far as from a longitudinal standpoint. Nothing is going to prevent fetlock extension when 1200 pounds of force come down on a leg, except maybe a plaster cast. I do, however, think that certain form-fitting boots and wraps (such as the Saratogas and Equifit boots) that really conform to the leg can stabilize the tendons and ligaments laterally, especially if they have some elastic that allows for compression. Just my opinion, and it makes sense to me physics-wise. Not sure how you would test that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    Ok. I will ask here and not my daughter, she asked me to get her saratoga bandages? But i ordered two sets of eskadron climatax wraps? Is that the same? Or close, another friend said the other option was equi fit wraps? With rubber on the inside?
    Does your daughter event? If so, she was probably looking for the Saratogas. They don't hold any water and are non-slip, which is pretty handy when you gallop through water on cross country. If she doesn't event, the climatex wraps are similar... half the wrap stretches like Saratogas, and half of it is made of towely material that supposedly wicks sweat away from the leg (which Saratogas DONT have... I wish they did). The Equifit wraps also stretch and stabilize the leg better than a polo, and supposedly transfer heat out of the leg. The "rubber" on the inside is actually a thin layer of "breathable" t-foam (a type of memory foam).

If your daughter events, Saratogas are the only one of the 3 that don't hold water. If she does something else (dressage, Hunter/Jumper) then all 3 wraps will do similar jobs. But they require very good wrapping to ensure they don't bow a tendon, because they all stretch.

I don't believe any boots or wraps "support" anything either, as far as from a longitudinal standpoint. Nothing is going to prevent fetlock extension when 1200 pounds of force come down on a leg, except maybe a plaster cast. I do, however, think that certain form-fitting boots and wraps (such as the Saratogas and Equifit boots) that really conform to the leg can stabilize the tendons and ligaments laterally, especially if they have some elastic that allows for compression. Just my opinion, and it makes sense to me physics-wise. Not sure how you would test that, though.
    I've always thought the same. Much like how a hiking boot stabilizes your ankle. Is it going to prevent you from injuring your ankle if you roll it? No. But they might prevent you rolling it in the first place by offering a bit of support. Personal opinion.
    The best is yet to come

I use Saratogas over eskadron climates liners. They keep the leg pretty cool relative to other options.

cadaver models suggest that some types of bandages can support the limb.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post

do you have any links?

Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    Yes, I would be interested in seeing some links as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Does your daughter event? If so, she was probably looking for the Saratogas. They don't hold any water and are non-slip, which is pretty handy when you gallop through water on cross country. If she doesn't event, the climatex wraps are similar... half the wrap stretches like Saratogas, and half of it is made of towely material that supposedly wicks sweat away from the leg (which Saratogas DONT have... I wish they did). The Equifit wraps also stretch and stabilize the leg better than a polo, and supposedly transfer heat out of the leg. The "rubber" on the inside is actually a thin layer of "breathable" t-foam (a type of memory foam).

If your daughter events, Saratogas are the only one of the 3 that don't hold water. If she does something else (dressage, Hunter/Jumper) then all 3 wraps will do similar jobs. But they require very good wrapping to ensure they don't bow a tendon, because they all stretch.
    She does jumpers, and did want the eskadrons or saratogas. I couldnt find the saratogas until recently, but eskadrons will work!

I think the Saratogas are a great product. While I know wraps theoretically don't support, when I had a horse a decade ago with a suspensory issue he would be sound with the Saratogas on, and lame with regular polos or standing wraps on. It was remarkable and they were great to have during the rehab process, and after he healed for jumping. I don't find them any hotter than polos. Maybe they appear that way because polos absorb sweat more so you don't see it as much?