The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default Saratoga Bandages

    Anybody use them? How do you like them? I have 4 and love them, they have held up really well too.

    What do you think of them as an alternative to leather boots or polo wraps in the equitation ring?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 12, 2002
    Location
    Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    I use them in the rain or wet conditions , they shed water , but hold to much heat for regular everyday riding.. If you want something with just as much support try trace bandages .. Both types however are not for those who don't know how to wrap properly . I will use light sheet cotton under trace wraps too, and have used them in Eq classes and jumping , they offer much more support than boots although I have used boots on top of trace bandages too.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2012
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I love them. They are the only wraps I use for flatting. They support much better than Polos too. I don't like jumping in them though, I'd much rather use boots with a strike guard.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2006
    Location
    Newtown, CT
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
    Anybody use them? How do you like them? I have 4 and love them, they have held up really well too.

    What do you think of them as an alternative to leather boots or polo wraps in the equitation ring?
    Ok. I will ask here and not my daughter, she asked me to get her saratoga bandages? But i ordered two sets of eskadron climatax wraps? Is that the same? Or close, another friend said the other option was equi fit wraps? With rubber on the inside?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 27, 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    130

    Default

    When I was eventing I used Saratoga bandages over top of Porter boots for cross country. They don't let in water, so you don't end up with soggy boots, and they don't let the Porter boot move an inch.

    I wouldn't use them for anything else though, if I'm flatting I will just use plain polos.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Does anyone use them over the Eskadron Climatex liners? I love my Saratogas and my jumping boots but they both make my horse's legs SO hot.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,780

    Default

    Sorry, but no wraps or boots "support" anything. They offer protection from interference/jump rubs and that's pretty much it.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I don't believe any boots or wraps "support" anything either, as far as from a longitudinal standpoint. Nothing is going to prevent fetlock extension when 1200 pounds of force come down on a leg, except maybe a plaster cast. I do, however, think that certain form-fitting boots and wraps (such as the Saratogas and Equifit boots) that really conform to the leg can stabilize the tendons and ligaments laterally, especially if they have some elastic that allows for compression. Just my opinion, and it makes sense to me physics-wise. Not sure how you would test that, though.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 28, 2012
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    Ok. I will ask here and not my daughter, she asked me to get her saratoga bandages? But i ordered two sets of eskadron climatax wraps? Is that the same? Or close, another friend said the other option was equi fit wraps? With rubber on the inside?
    Does your daughter event? If so, she was probably looking for the Saratogas. They don't hold any water and are non-slip, which is pretty handy when you gallop through water on cross country. If she doesn't event, the climatex wraps are similar... half the wrap stretches like Saratogas, and half of it is made of towely material that supposedly wicks sweat away from the leg (which Saratogas DONT have... I wish they did). The Equifit wraps also stretch and stabilize the leg better than a polo, and supposedly transfer heat out of the leg. The "rubber" on the inside is actually a thin layer of "breathable" t-foam (a type of memory foam).

    If your daughter events, Saratogas are the only one of the 3 that don't hold water. If she does something else (dressage, Hunter/Jumper) then all 3 wraps will do similar jobs. But they require very good wrapping to ensure they don't bow a tendon, because they all stretch.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2010
    Location
    where the red fern grows
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
    I don't believe any boots or wraps "support" anything either, as far as from a longitudinal standpoint. Nothing is going to prevent fetlock extension when 1200 pounds of force come down on a leg, except maybe a plaster cast. I do, however, think that certain form-fitting boots and wraps (such as the Saratogas and Equifit boots) that really conform to the leg can stabilize the tendons and ligaments laterally, especially if they have some elastic that allows for compression. Just my opinion, and it makes sense to me physics-wise. Not sure how you would test that, though.
    I've always thought the same. Much like how a hiking boot stabilizes your ankle. Is it going to prevent you from injuring your ankle if you roll it? No. But they might prevent you rolling it in the first place by offering a bit of support. Personal opinion.
    The best is yet to come



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    I use Saratogas over eskadron climates liners. They keep the leg pretty cool relative to other options.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2009
    Posts
    612

    Default

    cadaver models suggest that some types of bandages can support the limb.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    cadaver models suggest that some types of bandages can support the limb.

    do you have any links?



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    cadaver models suggest that some types of bandages can support the limb.
    Yes, I would be interested in seeing some links as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2006
    Location
    Newtown, CT
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
    Does your daughter event? If so, she was probably looking for the Saratogas. They don't hold any water and are non-slip, which is pretty handy when you gallop through water on cross country. If she doesn't event, the climatex wraps are similar... half the wrap stretches like Saratogas, and half of it is made of towely material that supposedly wicks sweat away from the leg (which Saratogas DONT have... I wish they did). The Equifit wraps also stretch and stabilize the leg better than a polo, and supposedly transfer heat out of the leg. The "rubber" on the inside is actually a thin layer of "breathable" t-foam (a type of memory foam).

    If your daughter events, Saratogas are the only one of the 3 that don't hold water. If she does something else (dressage, Hunter/Jumper) then all 3 wraps will do similar jobs. But they require very good wrapping to ensure they don't bow a tendon, because they all stretch.
    She does jumpers, and did want the eskadrons or saratogas. I couldnt find the saratogas until recently, but eskadrons will work!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    9,713

    Default

    I think the Saratogas are a great product. While I know wraps theoretically don't support, when I had a horse a decade ago with a suspensory issue he would be sound with the Saratogas on, and lame with regular polos or standing wraps on. It was remarkable and they were great to have during the rehab process, and after he healed for jumping. I don't find them any hotter than polos. Maybe they appear that way because polos absorb sweat more so you don't see it as much?



Similar Threads

  1. How often do you change bandages over a cut?
    By 4Martini in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2011, 04:07 PM
  2. Boots, bandages the like
    By Vindicated in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun. 7, 2010, 12:14 PM
  3. tapeless bandages
    By Sadie'sMom in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 29, 2009, 08:24 PM
  4. Bandages for stadium ?
    By mandalea in forum Eventing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 3, 2009, 05:44 PM
  5. Bandages
    By Vindicated in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2009, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •