The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paint pedigree

Without joining the association, is there anyway of finding out the breeding on a paint with it's APHA #?

Well, you could ask one of us who is a member of APHA to run the pedigree for you. ;-)

Well why didn't I think of that ...#[FONT=arial][FONT=arial]145,445[/FONT][/FONT]

Let me clarify that.....#145,445

That registration number belongs to "Miss Kaylee" a 1987 black tobiano mare. The dam's side is listed as "unknown"

She is by a 1983 black tobiano stallion named "Devil Reflection". His sire is "Mighty Reflection" (bay tobiano) and dam is a QH named "Devil's Isle"

"Mighty Reflection is by"Mighty Tink" out of Spooka Dot". "Devil's Isle" is by "Mr Go Devil" out of "Jamaican Isle"

"Spooka Dot" was by "Tinky's Spook out of "Peppy's Squaw"

Do you want me go back another generation?

In the earlier days of the APHA, there was still the "hardship clause" whereby a paint horse with some holes the pedigree, or perhaps no verifiable pedigree at all, could be accepted into the registry/breed (IIRC). Perhaps this applies to this horse since the damside is unknown.

She has eight registered foals, with the last being in 2008. Recorded owner shows a James or Barbara Breedlove of Oregon, WI. Of the eight offspring, seven are listed as being black and one listed as a bay. Last five foals are by "One Bull" also owned by the Breedloves. She is apparently not homozygous for the tobiano pattern as two of her offspring are solid.

She does not have an APHA performance show record.

I had a 1980 mare that was half Tb and her Tb half was unlisted/unverified. ....so it did occur around that time. I was only her third owner and the guy I bought her from got her from her breeder....so the Tb half was verifiable to me even if the apha would not put it on her papers. Since the apha began in the early 1960s it was only 20 years old or so at the time....they needed horses.

Thanks so very much, Paint Hunter. I'm the proud owner of Miss Kaylee's 2008 foal. Big 16.1h handsome fellow, beautifully colored. I was told the dam was appendix and would love to dig up the thoroughbred side. I've wanted a paint/pinto since was a kid (many of the model horses I had were pintos). So this is my menopausal event horse.

You can't say "handsome fellow, beautifully colored" in front of color geeks WITHOUT PICTURES!!!