The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing Drug Rules

So I've been having a really hard time finding explicit drug rules for eventing which is annoying.

I will preface this by saying the horse in question is sound and cleared to compete by our vet but he has conformation based unsoundness and some footsoreness problems that have slowed down his spring season. Competing him might make him a little sore but will not actually harm him and vet recommended buting him a bit before and after to help him out but I don't want to bute him if it is actually illegal. I will of course be doing the usual icing (standing him in the GMHA river off and on all day saturday) and being careful but we do want him feeling his best.

So anyone have a good place to actually find the eventing drug rules so I can check? I am not looking to be flamed for considering it, I just want to find the rules before this weekend and so that I can find them in the future.

http://usef.org/_IFrames/Drugs/Rules.aspx

But to answer your question, yes, bute is legal. 12 hours prior to competing. And in limited quantities.

thank you!!

There aren't any "explicit Eventing drug rules". Eventing is subject to the same USEF drug rules as eveyone else.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    There aren't any "explicit Eventing drug rules". Eventing is subject to the same USEF drug rules as eveyone else.
    I think the issue is that when mom was looking for them (while I was holding the boy for the chiro) she found rules for limited drug use and no drug use but couldn't find out which one eventing fell under

USEA falls under USEF rules. So all Horse Trials (sanctioned) go here.

FEI falls under, well, FEI rules. Which is "no foreign substances" or "no meds", for all intents and purposes. (there are exceptions, but forms to fill out and much headaching) So all "starred" events (CCI, CIC) go here.
    Click here before you buy.

Well, to be fair, there are USEF sports with "no foreign substances" rules. Endurance is the one I know immediately.
    USEF level hunters, jumpers, eventers, dressage horses, and I'm guessing Morgans and Ayrabs all compete under the same rules which allow a lot more (or less) than one might guess. Worth reading, no matter your starting point!

K, I got what I needed, thanks guys! He'll get a little bit of bute but not too much and given how he has been, I don't think he'll need more than one small dose, we are just being safe.

Have a great time! That creek is a great feature of GMHA.

Just remember to download any relevant info you may need over the weekend before you head to the grounds, since you might need to drive a bit to get to cell/computer signal.

Yup, although there is now free wifi in the youth center! And thanks! I'm just looking to get round without any huge issues since I'm moving up to prelim...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    I think the issue is that when mom was looking for them (while I was holding the boy for the chiro) she found rules for limited drug use and no drug use but couldn't find out which one eventing fell under
    Yes, for some reason I don't understand, they didn't include that information.

To make it even more confusing, there is no longer a "no foreign substances" rule. It is now "no banned substances" and refers to substances banned by FEI. It SAYS it applies to all the FEI disciplines, but when I asked about it at the Area II meeting, I got an inconclusive answer, indicating that Eventing was still under the Therapeutic Substances rule.

Call 800 AHSA MED and ask.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).