The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up Cute note from my daughter about starting riding lessons

My daughter just started lessons last weekend with an Eventer we are lucky enough to have right around the corner from us, and this is the note she wrote to me the Thursday prior. She had a great time at her lesson and we've joined our local Pony Club chapter. I hope it lasts.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...b/e9302a21.jpg
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

"I don't care if I fall down from my horse."

She's going to be a great eventer!

How very sweet. That may have been the first day of a lifelong passion that will determine what she does in life, who she marries, where she lives ...

I am very, very thankful to my non-horsey parents who, those many years ago, agreed to pay for and provide transportation to years of riding lessons.

My sister who also took a year of lessons at age 12, but decided not to go on with it, says that after she learned to ride a horse, there was nothing left to fear. A great gift from a brief time with horses.

What a sweetie! And a trooper!
    And what a lucky girl to have a supportive mom!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

Yes, she has come off a few times. It's taken us 7 ponies to find two good ones, one small and one medium; both palominos oddly enough. We sold the small to get the medium. But all of her "falls" have been tumbles fortunately and she has been good about getting back on. Peaches, her pony, is a 12 yr Welsh Paint Pony cross and is a super little guy.

Last evening I was riding my gelding in the dressage arena and my daughter was riding her pony around it. We went by them at the canter and her pony picked up the trot (she's been practicing posting) and they trotted over a ground pole and she says Peaches actually jumped it (I didn't see it, but I suspect it was more of a hop than a jump) but she was SO proud and excited. Good stuff!
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Thanks for sharing. She's lucky to have a mom like you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatFarm View Post
    My daughter just started lessons last weekend with an Eventer we are lucky enough to have right around the corner from us, and this is the note she wrote to me the Thursday prior. She had a great time at her lesson and we've joined our local Pony Club chapter. I hope it lasts.

How sweet!
    She was afraid you might "forget" so you needed a little reminder...

Thanks everyone! We both had lessons last evening. It's so much fun watching her trot her pony, practicing posting. Cute overload if I do say so myself.

Keep that note FOR-EVAH!!! Too cute. I have lots of them stashed away. Precious. There is NOTHING like riding/eventing with your kid. We're still at it and my baby girl just turned 28!

When I was helping run the YR camp here in Area 1, I got to read all the essays on the applications. One child wrote that she had ridden ALL HER LIFE-she was 8-and that she had fallen off quite alot, "sometimes even with blood."
    Yes, she was accepted into the YR camp! That kid was so spunky, cheerful, helpful and nothing phased her.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

that is adorable!

So cute!

Quote Originally Posted by FatCatFarm View Post

oh that's awesome!!!

One - what a great kid you have there, and agree future event star

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    One - what a great kid you have there, and agree future event star
    LOL! We'll see. She's pretty gutsy but not in an impulsive, throw yourself at it kind of way. I am just happy she likes horses, however long it lasts. Off to a promising start anyway. Thanks again.