The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shipping my horse to Europe from California!

wondering if anyone has suggestions for selecting and international transport companies. We're moving to Switzerland, if that makes a difference.
    I am sort of a wreck just thinking about it but we are moving and I really want to bring her.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I personally LOVE Tim Dutta. He flies horses out of JFK into Amsterdam mostly, but anything can be arranged. I think they fly horses out of LAX.

http://timdutta.com/

Jet Pets shipped our horse from LAX thru Amsterdam to Germany. Easy Peasy!

contact honeylips; she has shipped ponies from Europe to the West Coast.

I've not used Dutta but they have an excellent reputation and do this all the time!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Have you got a permit to bring her into Switzerland? They have a yearly contingent that can not be exceeded. You want to make sure she can enter the country before organizing transport Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Things are different now for Switzerland, it is much easier to bring a horse in that it was a few years ago. Unless you try it in December, you will be allowed to import a horse (and if it's December, and the contingent is full, you can either pay a fee or wait a few weeks for January).

http://www.bvet.admin.ch/ein_ausfuhr...x.html?lang=en
    http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_pri...x.html?lang=en

Most people I know who brought horses from the USA or Canada used a shipper to Amsterdam, and then to Switzerland.

Where are you going to live in Switzerland?

Oh excellent. I heard there was a limit on the number of horses that could be imported to Switzerland each year and that quota was reached around September-ish each year. and then there was a big fee (or wait).

We are planning to move in January and my horse maybe late Feb. or early March so I was thinking we'd be OK.

going to be in Zurich -- if anyone has barn rec's, I'm looking for something. I hear many nice places have wait lists so I'm trying to start early. It's so hard without knowing German yet (

Another vote for Tim Dutta. I imported a horse from Germany last September and Dutta did a great job. They handled everything and found a layover facility for me when flooding made it impossible for us to pick my gelding up from Newburgh when he was released.

Tim Dutta is super nice. I'd also recommend Emil Spadone's company, Horseflight (http://www.horseflight.com/).

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by max72 View Post
    Oh excellent. I heard there was a limit on the number of horses that could be imported to Switzerland each year and that quota was reached around September-ish each year. and then there was a big fee (or wait).

We are planning to move in January and my horse maybe late Feb. or early March so I was thinking we'd be OK.

going to be in Zurich -- if anyone has barn rec's, I'm looking for something. I hear many nice places have wait lists so I'm trying to start early. It's so hard without knowing German yet (
    IME in Swtizerland most people will speak English. Learn the basics as best you can, and especially how to say "do you speak English?", "please", "thank you etc. Most Europeans work out pretty quickly that English is your first language and will respond in English. It's worth starting to call places even if the websites are all in German. If you use email, google translator is a huge help and just tell them that you do not speak good German/any German at all, and ask if there is an English speaker you can talk to. Good luck - Switzerland is a beautiful country .

Remember there is far less land in Europe and horse-keeping will probably be different here compared to what you are used to. Hopefully coming from California it won't be such a huge shock, I know horses are more used to less turnout etc over there. The main thing your horse will have to get used to is European winters, especially if you are planning to move him in Feb/March!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thanks so much! I requested a quote and info from Tim Dutta, no reply yet, and will check out the others.

@Event4Life: you're right, I am worried about the shock of moving in the winter and I started another thread about that already.... time to get more blankets

www.horseflight.com

I work at Verizon Wireless, and one of their employees is a great customer of mine. They have a good reputation, and she is wonderful to work with. She deals with most of the west coast stuff, though the company is based out of the east coast.