The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Yd, can you tell us precisely what the symptoms were? There was just a news story on that they found brown recluses in the southern part of Iowa. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I know this doesn't fit in with the whole spider thing, but on the "Yechy things in hay" part of it, I once found half a dried up snake looping out of a haybale like the Loch Ness Monster. Of course, I was carrying the bale with my hand an inch away from it when I saw it. Gah! I threw the hay bale about 15 feet, military press style. Hubby dearest came out and dealt with it (and we threw the bale away to avoid the horses being exposed to botulism).

Hubby was so nice to deal with the snake, so understanding, and didn't even make fun of his girly girl wife. But his parting words were, "Well, that was half the snake, wonder where the other half is?" Aaaaaahhhh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I have chills and goosebumps from reading all this! I'm not too bad with spiders, but anything poisonous scares the life out of me!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm very suspicious of the water troughs now, and not quite as enthusiastic about jump-crewing, either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Please, please tell me that those nasty widows and recluse spiders are not in Kentucky!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

~AJ~
    "Got no excuses for the things that we've done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young." K.C.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I'm going to attempt to post another spider picture...this one is the brown recluse. It's an ugly sucker too and look carefully at it's head and you may see the violin marking. This isn't the clearest picture unfortunately. ...Shivering...

Same as last time...click on the little x box above the "brown recluse spider" if the picture doesn't come up right way. I must be doing something wrong with these downloads.

Cammie,

I can just see you throwing that bale of hay! I had a good laugh imagining that. Sadly, I once found the remains of a fawn in a hay bale. It does pay to shake out those flakes before feeding them.

EventerAJ..I'm pretty sure you have these spiders in KY too. Sorry to break the bad news...

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

hahaha we are really lucky, no black widows and brown thingies, just CORN! well we have spiders, of course, but not that kind. i think. i've never been bitten by a spider but they defnately creep me out! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

**anna**
    \"Friends don\'t let friends have mullets.\"

Spider Bite!!!!!!

now if that isnt disgusting--- thats a Brown Recluse Spider Bite!!!!! grossssss eww i screamed when i saw that!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

**anna**
    \"Friends don\'t let friends have mullets.\"