The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

http://pelotes.jea.com/spiders.htm
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

We have the Rubbermaid water troughs and the underside is sort of waffle-y - there are always Black Widows under there!!! Creepy!

Other recent unwanted pests visiting the farm this week:

the fearless red fox that farm owners husband has been feeding chicken scraps to (he got in major trouble for that when she found out!!!)

The farm owners husband (just kidding!! we were all just upset with him for baiting the fox - he's been, hmm, re-educated about the subject)

4 wild dogs which received some bird shot to motivate them to travel elsewhere

those crazy build a nest in the horse trailer birds!!! They are becoming pests!

About the spiders - I always try to have a stick handy that I can smash into the waffle holes to kill them. (where's the yuck graemlin??)

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

But, I prefer just looking at their pictures. You have all convinced me of one thing and that is I won't retire to the south. I can deal with bears, foxes, bob cats and even cayotes, but eight legged things are not a favorite friend of mine. I have even survived the invasion of Canada Geese, found a friend who likes to train his dogs who are competitors in the working dog field trials.

I am looking for an owl I can convince to live here to get rid of pigeons but that's my personal limit. Compared to a Black Widow spider I think the Polar Bears are kind of cute.

or did anyone else not have the nerve to open those last two links posted? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I really don't want to know what they look like.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janeway:
    or did anyone else not have the nerve to open those last two links posted? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I really don't want to know what they look like.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid the North isn't exempt from big, yucky spiders. We have some that come out every spring in our basement. They can get to be as big as a half dollar with legs attached, and they are very flat, so they fit into crevices really well.

When I was young, I used to shriek and call Dad to kill the things quickly, but, since he died many years ago, I have had to deal with the things myself.

I'm with Snowbird, I can deal with most varmints, but these things give me major shivers, and I would much rather do without them.

---------------------------
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
    Aristotle
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

I don't want to find anything named Olios GIGANTEUS in MY house.... or any other GIGANTEUS insects!

If you loan someone twenty dollars, then never see them again, it was probably worth it.

www.geocities.com/winglet18

[This message was edited by Winglet on Jul. 19, 2002 at 05:31 PM.]
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

Thanks for the encouraging words YD! They don't help one bit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You sound much like me Louise! I warned my new male roomate when he moved in that one of the prerequisites for living with me was dealing with any and all bugs in the apartment! He agreed thankfully [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

From my recollection, nothing could live in your room [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jul. 20, 2002 at 08:01 AM.]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Such a beautiful opportunity on a Friday afternoon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

I always knew it.

If you loan someone twenty dollars, then never see them again, it was probably worth it.

www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

I got bitten by a Brown Recluse. The horseshoer (George Fitzgerald) was shoeing horses on the same aisle and he recognized the symptoms right away.
    Got me to Palm Beach Hospital (Wellington) in record time. Doctors said his speediness prevented a lot of problems. Who'd -a- thunk a farrier would be a hero.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Breezymeadow, get a pressure washer, empty out the barn on a warm, non-humid day, and blast those suckers down! Thats what my barn does! I have found that the only way for me to kill spiders is to make them immobile by spraying them with Windex, then smashing them to bits. I did find a teeny black jumping spider in my car a few days ago, he was rather cute, so I let him live!

yd

Sounds like you were really lucky! Was the bite painful? I've heard that recluse bites aren't but the reaction to the bite is really bad. Thanks for sharing that with us arachnophobes!

Incidentally, we had to kill another black widow yesterday! It was a big momma with egg sacks and there was a little male with her. Thank heavens we got those two or I'd have even more around here soon! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:
    Was the bite painful? I've heard that recluse bites aren't but the reaction to the bite is really bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Painful wasn't the word. But I sorta was in shock, so I don't remember it much. Just remember George Fitzgerald throwing me into a truck and telling somebody to put the horse away (he was in the middle of a shoeing job). Then doctors and stuff. I know I kept hearing how lucky I was.
    Now when I see alfalfa from the southwest I run away.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

yd

It was in the alfalfa! Holy Smoke! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

I go to college in Vermont and actually there do appear to be brown reculse there. Some people have seen them and I know one person who was bit by one.

It's not the reaction to the bite. It's actually the acid they inject into your muscles which hurts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

And I actually like spiders and crawly things (except tics) but injected acid no. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

They have a violin on their back I am told. I do not believe they kill you as quickly as a lot of poisonous things do. The acid eats ate your muscles and you get lumps and very ouchy and you can develop blood poisoning and die. Or so I've been told by the person who was bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do not believe they kill you as quickly as a lot of poisonous things do. The acid eats ate your muscles and you get lumps and very ouchy and you can develop blood poisoning and die. Or so I've been told by the person who was bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Shiaway, what you are saying is instead of dieing quickly, one can look forward to a slow & extremely painful passing?

And here Breezymeadow thought she was already as frightened and wary of eight-legged beasties as she could be - guess there's always room for more! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

Janeway, I couldn't look at the links either! I have trouble with the S volume of the encyclopedia! Never liked spiders, never will. I've gotten better about co-existing with daddy long legs and little spiders in the barn - although it's mostly avoidance or get out the hose - but those big suckers...I'll sweep them out if I can get up the nerve, or I'll find the fly spray. At least that slows them down till I can get some better ammunition! Eeeeewwwwww!

What do brown recluse spiders look like? We have a client who was bit and she is missing part of her leg because of it.

While I don't want bugs or spiders ON me, they don't really bother me. I don't ever kill spiders because they serve a useful purpose, but of course I sweep them out of areas I don't think they belong.

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde