The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

DON'T tell me that! What a scary thought!

horsemad! Here's your shudder graemlin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orange:

And if she hides it under the covers, I may not survive it...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orange,

It has scarred me! I now turn on the light before picking anything up like that! Thankfully, the dogs did not have it under the covers.

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

Breezymeadow - who is a complete & total ARACHNOPHOBIC, has spiders in her barn the size of BUICKS!!!!

While I have gritted my teeth & de-cobwebbed the stall bars, etc., I have absolutely NO plans to swipe down the HUGE, OPAQUE, BEDSHEET-SIZED webs higher up where I have seen hairy moving things larger than my HAND!!!!

And I don't see Mr. Breezymeadow exactly jumping up & down to help here, either.

Can't wait for the first hard frost. . . .

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoReDQthanU:
    AHHH the joys of Canada. Spiders are my biggest fear. I swear I have arachniphobia(sp?) If I see a large-ish spider, I practically cry!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is me as well MoreDQ! I just freeze if I see a big one. Unfortunately, after having moved to the westcoast from Alberta I have discovered that Canada does indeed have some nice big ones; and they run like hell if you try to get them, which makes it worse!

Good lord, I can feel the goosebumps already just thinking about them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breezymeadow:
    Breezymeadow - who is a complete & total ARACHNOPHOBIC, has spiders in her barn the size of BUICKS!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, you just reminded me of one I saw in my feed room. I swear it was the size of a mouse and it was hairy. I saw that thing crawl out from behind the feet tub and LEFT immediately. When I got my husband out there to see it and get rid of it, it was gone. He thinks I exagerate but you and I know it's true! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:
    I think there are brown recluse spiders in the hay barn!! Anyone know what those look like?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had a horse get bitten by one once... It was NOT a pretty picture. We think it was a brown recluse, anyway. The horse was a school horse and was responding to treatment, so they never acatually ran tests because they didn't want to pay the money when the horse was getting better. Nasty nasty bite, it was like someone absessed part of its skin on the neck.

-----
    http://www.catchride.com <My Site
    http://news.catchride.com <Scandal Sheet
    -----

They (black widows) have invaded our garage this summer, I have killed about 6 so far. Living in Fl all of my life I don't react TOO badly when I come across one.

It usually goes something like:

*Looking in show trunk for a decent show pad*

*Find one*

*Glance at the bottom of the trunk lid*

* Realize that I am staring at an unhappy momma black widow with a gross looking egg-sack that my hand is about an inch from*

*Run away screaming*

*Come back half an hour later armed with a can of Raid (the stuff for roaches does kill them) and a pair of thick gardening gloves*

*Kill Spider*

*Repeat process the next day while looking for some other object housed by the garage*

KILL THEM, KILL THEM ALL!

Brown Recluses (I have only seen a few thank goodness) usually induce chills and shrieks of "AHMYGADAHAHAH" which brings along some unsuspecting family member turned excutioner...
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Common sense aint so common.
    Common sense aint so common.

South Dakota has black widows and brown recluses,too. I have never found a black widow, but my friends have. I did find several brown recluses in the grain shed.

There are a couple of other species that freak me out just as much--wolf spiders and those little black-and-white striped, jumping spiders. (I don't know exactly what they are called, but when they feel threatened, they jump at you!)

My dad found a wolf spider in the kitchen one night, and jumped on the kitchen counter, he was so startled! (Imagine a 6'3" man, about 280 pounds, vertical-jumping onto a kitchen counter. That makes you sit up and take notice!) I caught him under one of those clear/smoke-colored Tupperware juice glasses--and his legs touched the rim of the glass!

I got bit by one of those little jumping spiders--it was on the patio table, and I reached for my drink. It jumped off the glass and bit my forearm! I had a huuuuge lump on my arm!

Four weeks down, two to go...the immobilization brace is off and occupational therapy has begun...After one week, I have half of my normal range of motion back!

I apologize for my typos. But at least I am able to type with two hands again! (Kind of) Thanks for your patience.
    ~This is *way* more fun than doing something productive~

We have all sorts of widows. We have them with red hour glasses and orange hour glasses. But then there are the brown ones, and ones with stripes on there legs. We also have all~black ones. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I used to get paid 5 cents every time I killed one. (By the end of the week I had $15) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~Lauren
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

My husband feels that the scene in "Annie Hall" where Woody Allen is going after a spider in Diane Keaton's bathroom was filmed in our house without our permission - LOL!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What you probably saw are brown wolf spiders. They get as big as your hand.However there is no need to be worried because you think they're big and going oh my god that thing is huge. Well if you think they're big think of how you look to them. They are going OH MY GOD I'm gonna die cause that giant will squash me. They only bite when you grab them and shove your hand in they're mouths, however it is only defense. I assure you you would do the same. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] They are harmless and they catch bugs. I have held them in my hand and they won't bite. I promise. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~Lauren [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

sorry, I don't think there's ANYTHING you can do to make me bite a spider... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I used to mow the back end of a Golf Driving Range, behind the fence... it got 2 or 3 feet high before we mowed it (with weed eater brand push mowers that fell apart every 50 yards) and there were THOUSANDS of wolf spiders there, from the size of a dime to the size of my mower's wheels, and they all ran away very fast, regardless of their size. Black widows, however, seem unfazed by anything but their imminent doom...

If you loan someone twenty dollars, then never see them again, it was probably worth it.

www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

Arnika, I think I know what a wolf spider looks like..they are brown with a black stripe. What I saw was kind of a medium brown with no black, very hairy and it's legs were different from wolf spiders. It really resembled a tarantula more than anything else. It did not move quickly, TG, or I would have had a heart attack! Someone told me it might have been a Banana Spider. Do you know what they look like?

Breezymeadow, I'm so bad I can't even watch that movie Aracnophobia without whimpering and cowering on the sofa. My husband thinks it's very funny, but I'm not amused. There is some new movie coming out called "Eight Legged Freaks" with giant spiders that eat people or something. I think I'll avoid that one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Has anyone ever heard of a black widow biting a horse? Just curious. I have seen a Brown Recluse bite on a persons leg, it was like a sunken, infected hole. Very disgusting.

Breezymeadow checks the ceiling of the room - as she does every room - for creepy-crawlies before beginning to type. . . .

Arnika - Although the logical part of my brain (if I have one) knows all these good things about spiders, it does not keep me from getting downright nauseous at the sight of them. In addition, I have a number of friends & relatives who claim that a spider in the house means "good luck and money", none of which I have seen so far. And from the size of the spiders I've seen lately, I should be damn lucky & damn rich by now!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] These guys aren't catching bugs, they're probably catching birds, cats, small dogs, & children.

Daydream Believer - I have never even watched "Arachnophobia". The spiders were just too realistically sized for me to stomach. And I have absolutely NO plans to watch the new creature feature you mentioned. The only spider flicks I have been able to view without leaving the room are the black-&-white golden oldies where the spider is the size of a skyscraper & obviously nothing more than a poor special effect.

So Intent Guest

When I lived in florida, I woke up one morning to find a wolf spider that was literally the size of a tarantula, in all seriousness, on my ceiling. I screamed.

A few months later, I woke up and found a cock roach on my ceiling. I sighed and went back to sleep. Florida [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

I just tuned in and I can't believe this thread. I would have run away 500 miles if I ever saw a Black Widow or any of those other guys you are all talking about.

Thank goodness for winter frosts and snow. I remember looking for a cockroach picture in the Encyclopedia once, but it turned out it was a water bug. Still have never seen a real one.

Whenever you see what appears to be a miniature horse in Florida, be sure to count the number of legs before you offer to pet it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

If you can stand it--hard to do, I agree [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]--they (wolf spiders, not minis [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) ARE good at eating roaches and other undesirable insects . IMO, however, geckos and lizards do a MUCH better job. Some may feel the cure is worse than the disease, however...

I once discovered a wolf spider in my apartment so large as to cause me to confine my cats in another room lest the spider take them hostage. And anyone who thinks this is an over-reaction has obviously not seen them when they are moving at warp speed! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Must be all those legs--minis are generally slower.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." --Catherine Aird
    Tinwhistle Farm

arnika is right, there are two OTHER species of widow spiders that live around buildings and farms(at least here in Florida), the brown widow and the south african brown widow (the ones with the striped legs). The egg cases (round and fuzzy) and abdominal markings help with identification. Webs which resist a prolonged full blast with the hose are another tipoff! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Any dark nook or shady area which remains undisturbed for more than a week or so is a good candidate for one of these to set up shop. We found a black widow and nest under the AC cord in our (spotless) feed room, and a south african brown widow and nest under a box containing wash supplies on the wash rack.

We now routinely hose the undersides of everything not nailed down, including bucket rims and plastic chairs!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

There's just no excuse for these things. They are not endangered and have the entire outdoors to thrive in. ARGH!!!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." --Catherine Aird
    Tinwhistle Farm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
    Thank goodness for winter frosts and snow. I remember looking for a cockroach picture in the Encyclopedia once, but it turned out it was a water bug. Still have never seen a real one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snowbird, If you'd like me to box up a few cockroaches and ship them up to you, I'd be more than happy to! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I find cockroaches revolting but not frightening.

The Black Widows around here are shiney black with red markings on their abdomens. Sometimes it's the hourglass but I have seen some with red spots too. It's hard to say for certain as I try not to get close enough to observe their markings in any detail. They are definitely not endangered around here!

I'm actually not completely hardhearted when it comes to spiders. Last year, while cleaning up some lumber, I disturbed a fairly harmless looking, small brown spider (not a recluse, I know what they look like). She had an egg sack she was dragging around. She was so upset by my violation of her nest that she started dragging her eggs to a safer place. She was so devoted to her unborn babies, that I just couldn't bring myself to squash her even when I thought about all those baby spiders hatching soon. See, I'm not totally hopeless!

On a side note, they said on the news this morning that poisonous snakebites are up in NC from previous years. They believe the snakes are getting thirsty due to the severe drought and are coming up to people's homes searching for water. Now isn't that just what we need?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I'm going to try and post a link to a spider page that shows my feed room spider...I think. It's similar but doesn't sound as big. I don't know if this will work but it's called a Giant Crab Spider. Yuck!

It seems to work if you click on the 'x box' with "Giant Crab Spider" under it. Be warned. It is ugly and my skin is crawling just from my visit to that website!

I promise not to download anymore spider pics as I know it's OT somewhat but is WAS in my Feed Room [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]