The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Verhan Saddle on Ebay?

Just saw this Verhan on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Ver...item41667345e6

Very tempted to buy it. I rode in one years ago and loved it. I just wasn't in the financial position to buy a new saddle then. This one looks like its almost new - and I am still not in the financial position to buy a new saddle...., but that's what credit cards are for!

Can anyone tell me their experiences on buying a saddle via Ebay? Anything to look out for? Is it a good or bad way to go for a new/used saddle?

request the serial number & you can contact Verhan & discuss whether this saddle can be adjusted to your horse & at what cost - sometimes the tree shape just will not work despite gullet & panel adjustments.

Even 2K would be an excellent price for that saddle (if I was the owner I'd think long & hard before selling it for any less!)

Downside is that saddle was built for an Andalusian & they do have special backs & shoulders, so unless you have a Baroque horse, chances are you will need to have the saddle adjusted.

Unfortunately buyer will only sell to a US resident! else I know at least 3 people that would start a bidding war on it

(I've no idea why a PO box is not acceptable )

Thank you for your reply. I'll contact the seller and request the serial number. I thought the price was extremely good too. The one I rode years ago was priced at almost $4K. I have a baroque horse so saddle fitting should be okay. I'll check with Verhan after I get the serial number.

No idea why the restriction on where the buyer is. Maybe for customs reasons??? I also have friends in Canada who would bid on the saddle. One asked me to bid for her and ship it to her if I won the auction.

I have bought lots of saddles on ebay, and have never had an issue. I only buy if the deal is good enough that I think I can get my money back locally if the saddle doesn't work out, but there are great deals to be had, if you study the pics carefully, ask any questions about condition etc that concern you, you should be fine
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Thanks for your reply. I've asked the seller a lot of questions about the saddle and it seems like an amazing deal. The seller seems to be reputable and very upfront about the details and condition of the saddle. It's good to know that you've had good experiences buying saddles through Ebay too.

I have purchased 3 saddles on ebay without problems.
    Like others, I only buy something that I am pretty familiar and/or looks like a very good deal. I have been happy with each saddle.

I've had problems with other purchases on ebay and had occasion to use their "Buyer protection program". I think that process, though not speedy, works quite well. It allows you to get your money back if things are not as described or damaged, even if the buyer doesn't offer returns. So if you understand the description, you've got some coverage that way.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

It's reassuring to hear that other people have had success buying through Ebay. I surf Ebay periodically to see if there are any small tack items I can't live without. Several times I've seen saddles on Ebay that looked like amazing deals. But I was not in the market for a new saddle at the time. However, just last month I bid on a saddle and ultimately lost the auction to someone who obviously had a lot more money to spend.

Still undecided on whether or not I can afford the Verhan. But it sure looks nice....

Another tip Chris, don't share amazing deals with anyone until the hammer falls, you find it, keep it to yourself.

I have a saddle here I have on trial from a local store, LOVE the saddle, but was struggling over the $1000 price tag..

I hope I love its twin which I have just been billed $425 for, including shipping a (cross fingers and hope) great ebay buy, and if it doesn't work it will be back on sale up here.

Haffy,

Thanks for the tip. I thought about not sharing the information about the specific saddle....after the fact. Not a huge problem since I've come back to reality and realized I probably can't afford the price tag on that saddle right now anyway. I have to build shelters in two paddocks this month and I can't possibly do that and get the saddle. So I guess the horses get new shelters, and I get to ride in my old saddle a while longer...

Good luck with your new saddle!! Sounds like you found yourself an amazing Ebay deal!!

Default Those are your ethics?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Another tip Chris, don't share amazing deals with anyone until the hammer falls, you find it, keep it to yourself.

I have a saddle here I have on trial from a local store, LOVE the saddle, but was struggling over the $1000 price tag..

I hope I love its twin which I have just been billed $425 for, including shipping a (cross fingers and hope) great ebay buy, and if it doesn't work it will be back on sale up here.
    I see advising your on-line buddy to play her cards close to her chest with respect to an Ebay auction.

But you'll put milage on some local merchant's saddle with no intention to buy it from him, but to see if you can undercut his price using the test-drive information he provides?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post

No idea why the restriction on where the buyer is. Maybe for customs reasons??? I also have friends in Canada who would bid on the saddle. One asked me to bid for her and ship it to her if I won the auction.
    When I listed some items on eBay recently, it was my first time doing it, and I, too, wondered why they would ask if I wanted to restrict the buyer's location. It is to prevent scams. So I limited the origin of my bids as well.

If your Canadian friend buys it and you ship it, do it through USPS or she'll have to pay duty on it.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

If you send to a PO box, there doesn't have to be a person there to sign for the package. If there is no proof of delivery in the form of a written signature, then the buyer can claim the package never arrived, and the seller has no proof to the contrary. Paypal will refund the buyer more or less automatically. The seller could lose both the merchandise and the money.

Note to ebay sellers, ALWAYS require signed proof of delivery, it is the only way you can be assured the package was delivered.

"Delivery confirmation" is not signed proof, it just means the parcel was dropped on the doorstep, where it can be stolen before the buyer collects it.
    “I am sorry negativity, I have no time for you. I have far too many positive things to do.”

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I see advising your on-line buddy to play her cards close to her chest with respect to an Ebay auction.

But you'll put milage on some local merchant's saddle with no intention to buy it from him, but to see if you can undercut his price using the test-drive information he provides?

Actually I had every intention of buying locally, but was doing my due diligence research, finding out that the saddle is usually offered at about $850 used, checking reviews how people actually lived with the saddle etc etc.

In the middle of that I found the ebay listing, couldn't believe the low price, and had to bid........sorry but when life puts a bargain in your way you best snap it up.

On the other hand it means that I will probably consign a saddle or two to the store for selling as I need to get rid of all my spares now a lot of horses have gone.

If your Canadian friend buys it and you ship it, do it through USPS or she'll have to pay duty on it.
    Thanks for the tip. But now she can bid on it herself because the seller has changed their shipping policy to ship to Canada. At least one of us has a chance at getting the saddle....

If you send to a PO box, there doesn't have to be a person there to sign for the package. If there is no proof of delivery in the form of a written signature, then the buyer can claim the package never arrived, and the seller has no proof to the contrary. Paypal will refund the buyer more or less automatically. The seller could lose both the merchandise and the money.
    That explains it. I kind of figured it was something like that. Thanks for the info.

Now, back to my old saddle. I will not look at Ebay....I will not look at Ebay....I will not look at Ebay.....

Actually I had every intention of buying locally, but was doing my due diligence research, finding out that the saddle is usually offered at about $850 used, checking reviews how people actually lived with the saddle etc etc.

In the middle of that I found the ebay listing, couldn't believe the low price, and had to bid........sorry but when life puts a bargain in your way you best snap it up.

On the other hand it means that I will probably consign a saddle or two to the store for selling as I need to get rid of all my spares now a lot of horses have gone.
    Do what you want. But I don't understand the "sorry" part.

Best wishes to you and your local tack store with your consignments.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Whatever, I support local business when I can, but not to the point of paying double what I can buy for elsewhere.

You don't have to explain yourself. Honestly some folks on this forum just love to find something to scold or lecture about. Your money, your business. I'm sure you buy items from the local guy. Just found a deal, who could blame you???

You don't have to explain yourself. Honestly some folks on this forum just love to find something to scold or lecture about. Your money, your business. I'm sure you buy items from the local guy. Just found a deal, who could blame you???
    AMEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Just found a deal, who could blame you???

LOL one on the list so far

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Since we already established that y'all can blame me, I have nothing else to lose and might as well say my piece.

It is your money and your business. The "sorry" is disingenuous. You act as if constrained and contrite. Nope. You had the ethics that said "buy local" or at least "don't use the local guy" and that was all good until you could save $400 and change. Then you sold those ethics for that $400. Don't apologize if you do think that all decisions are economic.

The other reason-- the one not about getting into heaven or avoiding some circle of hell-- is that if you do this enough times, there won't be a local saddle to try. In that case, you'll have to risk the whole $800 or so on Ebay.

You get to choose. But you are choosing for the rest of us, too. So please don't get all up in my grill about it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat