The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Butet Serial #, help me demystify?

Looking for some help. My trainer has told me that I should never sit in my Amerigo again. Ever. As the compromise, I've been riding in his Butet, which he very generously offered to me so long as he never sees my saddle again, and now I'm going to just bite the bullet and go forward with a used Butet.

However, his serial number is a little confusing? I'm looking at used and his number doesn't match up? Perhaps it's because it's 15 years old.

Serial is: L18 347 5.

My research says that the L is a deeper seat but the 5 should be flap length correct? I'm not finding any in a 5...... Some of the newer serial numbers I've seen don't follow the same pattern. HELP!

Just out of curiosity, what was so offensive about the Amerigo? I have one that I rather like, but also have a Devocoux that fits the more narrow horse better.

He says I'm fighting it too much. It's making me perch and is putting my leg in a funny spot (too far back and pinch with my knee).

Which is all valid. It does. I don't notice until I sit in his Butet. He's by no means pushing the Butet brand, just a brand that FITS me and the horse. My guy has been ridden in Butets all along and he's always done well in them.

You can just call Beval and they will tell you everything you want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I recently bought a used Butet, so I learned a bit about reading the stamp during that process... From what I understand, the L indicates a deep seat, the 18 means 18".

Typically, the flap size is underneath that... 1 = regular flap, 1.5 = forward flap, 2 = long flap, 2.5 = long forward flap. I know sometimes they do come in extra long, which I assume is a 3? Don't quote me on that.

The middle numbers have to do with the number of the saddle in production that year, and the last two numbers in the Butet serial number are the year it was made. So unless your saddle was built in 1975... this one may have been stamped differently. Long story short, I'd call Beval to be sure.

It seems like there are some numbers missing.

Deep seat
    18" seat
    .5 likely means forward flap but there is no 0/1/2/3 to indicate if it is short/regular/long/extra long

Production year also appears to be missing....the other numbers are the serial numbers indicating the # saddle produced that year as someone else said.

Note that if this Butet is 15 years old it will ride very differently from the newer ones. This I know from experience.....

I did give Beval a ring and they said that I'm missing some numbers somewhere. My guess it that 15 years of riding in it has rubbed them down. I did notice that there were a few that I couldn't really read.

They did say that it was likely a 2 1/2".

UGH, so you mean that the one I do find may not be the same. Perfect.......

I'm curious, did your trainer have any explanation as to why your Amerigo is forcing you to ride that way? I'm curious because I'm having the same problem with my Devoucoux Socoa, which I bought used. In theory, it fits me and the horse, though the seat may be a tad big, but it's really screwing up my position and I'm fighting it. I was riding in someone else's County Innovation before and that REALLY put me in the back seat. Seems I'm fighting the Devoucoux in the opposite direction.

Someone has offered to buy the Devoucoux from me for what I paid for it, but I don't want to ride in the County again (hated that more!), so I want to find something else first. I've ridden in so many saddles, if there's a hint as to what type I'm looking for that would help narrow it down!

This one is throwing my leg back and making me perch up front. So I wind up gripping more with my knee than with my calf and when I'm trying to use my leg I can't get it around him like I should....

He also dislikes the length of the flap because it's not forward enough or long enough.

I had half hoped to sit in a bunch of saddles on my horse but I just am too lazy for that. Butet works for the horse. Works for me. DONE! LOL!