The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Copius urination

My 22 year old mare has started peeing a lot. Yes it has been very unseasonably warm so she could just be drinking more. Bring her in for a ride and she pees at least twice in cross ties, maybe once while out and once again when we get back. Its not the little "I am in heat and am a hussy" sort of thing but fairly large quantities and very pale.

She NEVER has been the type to happily pee in cross ties (though the isle of this barn is sand so that likely makes it more inviting)

Nothing else seems out of whack. Her coat and weight are good. She is still a pretty hot ride so energy levels are great. No changes in her food or routine. She is on pasture 24/7

I am planning on getting a vet to look at her. But do you think this is an emergency? I have the vet coming out in a few weeks anyway... What can cause this?

It could be excess protein from the pasture. Mine are noticeably producing a much larger volume. They slow down when the spring burst of grass/clover declines.

You mentioned that coat and weight are good, but have you checked for Cushings? She's at that age and excessive urinating was the one sign that got my attention that something was wrong with my horse. Peeing several times on cross ties and during/after ride seems unusual.

Cushings, urinary tract infection, kidney failure, are the potential problems that come immediately to my mind. If she seems comfortable, is eating well, and is not running fevers, I guess I could let it wait for a while. Can you move up your previously scheduled vet visit? Then, you will be able to stop worrying.

I can't move up the vet visit, it would have to be an extra one. I am having the vet come ultrasound a couple of mares.

She seems totally normal, other than the pee. I hate it when they do this...

Call your vet & discuss possibilities ...
    me, I'd have the vet out or at least collect a urine sample & bring it in for analysis - if it's kidney or infection related, she is NOT comfortable

Pale pee could indicate that she's drinking a lot more water...this to me, along with her age, would point towards Cushings as my first guess.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

If she is eating/drinking an otherwise acting normal, Im sure she can wait and it doesnt warrant an emergency visit. But yes, sounds like she does need a bit of a workup when your vet is out.

Yup, Insulin Resistance and/or Cushings would be my first guess. They can still be in good weight and start showing other signs of IR. Could be other things - but IR/Cushings is a good place to start.

Have your vet do blood work & ask specifically to test for IR/Cushings possibilities. Also, call ahead and find out what's needed - most times, the horse needs to FAST for a certain # of hours prior to the blood being pulled, so find out a few days' in advance so you can fast her that morning/night before, if needed. Sucks to have the vet out for blood work and find out it's no going to work without the fasting - "something that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!" - so, just call and ask

Can you monitor her water intake to see if the increased peeing is correlated with increase water intake? Do you know what is "normal" water intake for her?

When my gelding started showing IR symptoms, #1 was the excessive peeing (he would insist we go back to his stall immediately after my lesson, which was not characteristics) - he would pee right away, and I could catch him drinking all kinds of crazy times that also weren't normal.

Can a horse that lives on pasture only be IR? I have never dealt with an IR horse. (though I recently found out my personal weight issue is IR/leptin R)

I can't easily monitor her water intake as she and the other horse live out and drink from a stock tank. I DO know what her normal water intake is like as normally she lives at home. But soundness wise she is doing so much better at this place I hate to bring her home if I can avoid it. (All my paddocks are relatively steep, this place is more gently rolling)

Thanks everyone so much. This horse means a lot to me, I have had her for the past 19 years. I will call the vet and ask what they need to do, and whether they want to see her now or wait till the ultrasound apt.

Can a horse that lives on pasture only be IR?
    Yes, especially if it's age related onset.

I will call the vet and ask what they need to do, and whether they want to see her now or wait till the ultrasound apt.

as prey animals, horses are instinctively stoic (or maybe they were all cats in a previous life ) - a call in to your vet is never inappropriate.

ok another IR question (I likely won't hear back from my vet till monday as this is not an emergency) do IR tend to fat or thin? Or is there a trend that way at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    ok another IR question (I likely won't hear back from my vet till monday as this is not an emergency) do IR tend to fat or thin? Or is there a trend that way at all?
    More often than not they are fat but Cushing's and or age related IR horses can be thin (I have one).
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Cushing's would also be my first guess. I understand that excessive thirst/water intake can be one of the very first symptoms.