The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone have these new(?) High Country Plastics "Slow Feed Saver" with grill on t

No -- but there are a lot of slow feeder styles out that that people are using successfully. Do you like this one in particular? If you youtube hay slow feeder you will find tubs with chain-link wire-weld inserts that are heavy enough to ride on top of the hay and not be pulled out of tub.

Someone made a plastic one out of a 55 gal barrel and the insert is a plastic disc with round holes cut into disc. The disc inserts on plastic rods which help hold it in place as the hay is consumed.

jan

wow, they copied my design. I made something almost like this several years ago and it worked well... except mine were light and they could toss them around and tip them over. Eventually they beat them up so much that they cracked. The one in the ad looks much more durable and heavy so it might work out really well.

Bumping this back up, as the High Country Plastics ones look interesting to me, too.

For anyone who's bought one, what about horses being able to stick their leg(s) in it when they hay is low?? And yes, of course I have one who'd do this!
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Bump, bump, bump... Anybody out there have one of these? I found them on sale and I think I will give them a try...
    Fox Wood Farm

I would avoid anything with a metal grate.

Air horse - the metal grate was the only real negative I saw, based on lots of research and time spent on the paddock paradise website.. But, this particular grate is widely spaced with pretty big holes. I am trying this feeder more to reduce waste than to restrict quantity. My guys can have as much as they can eat (both TBs) but they are both absolute PIGS. Throw hay on the ground or stall floor, then pee and poop on it and stir it all up. Also, I am planning to try feeding bagged, chopped forage in these.

If I like the feeders, and the metal grates become an issue, I figure I can always find some other sort of plastic grates.
    Fox Wood Farm

Once their teeth are damaged, it is quite simply too late to deal with the issue. You may or may not have a problem, I will never use anything with a metal grate again.

I have one for the 25 year old. He was peeing in his hay, so I needed to do something to keep it clean. The High Country hay feeder works very well for him. I don' t think it slows his eating, but it does keep the hay neat and clean so he isn't wasting so much or peeing in it. The hay feeder is not as sturdy as I would like. It was difficult to put together, as the screw holes did not line up, probably because of the feeder being dropped during shipping. I still have not gotten one of the screws into it. I am overall pleased with the hay feeder for the old guy but would not use it with my others. My big horse likes to flip it and push it around the stall when he has access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    Once their teeth are damaged, it is quite simply too late to deal with the issue. You may or may not have a problem, I will never use anything with a metal grate again.
    So, now I am worried... Were your bad experiences with this specific feeder, or one of the others on the market?
    Fox Wood Farm

I have it! I just got it about a week ago.

Do you like this one in particular?
    I wanted this one in particular because I want it for feeding Chaffhaye, not regular hay. Chaffhaye falls right out of a small-mesh hay net. (I tried.)

I didn't want one of the barrel shaped ones because I have two critters, and I need them to share. My big guy bullies my little guy, so I knew there was no way the little guy was every going to get his head in the barrel.

The feeder saver is plenty big enough for two horses to share. Probably more than two could share if they were really friendly.

except mine were light and they could toss them around and tip them over.
    The Feeder Saver is not light. A human can drag it, and certainly a horse can shove it around; but it is not fragile. I think it will be durable and sturdy.

For anyone who's bought one, what about horses being able to stick their leg(s) in it when they hay is low?
    My horse did paw at it the minute I gave him access to it. I nearly had a heart attack. The sides are high, and I don't think my horse actually got his hoof over the wall. I'm not saying a horse couldn't; just saying the design discourages that.

I would avoid anything with a metal grate.
    I haven't had mine long enough to comment on this yet. I have seen my horse put his mouth around the bars, like he was putting a bit in his mouth, and eat that way. If the metal becomes a problem, I can imagine rigging up a frame with netting or some Nibble Net sheeting.

this particular grate is widely spaced with pretty big holes.
    The holes are 7.5 x 4 inches. They were too wide for me. I took mine to a welder who for $25 added three more bars to it, reducing the hole size to 4 x 4.

Here are pictures of mine, modified and in use.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Wood Farm View Post
    So, now I am worried... Were your bad experiences with this specific feeder, or one of the others on the market?
    Very similar with 3" x 6" openings. Our dentist says we are not the only ones with tooth damage. We have switthed to mesh and have no further issues.