The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slightly creepy question

What do you think poor Teller All Gone is doing out in this location?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us...acetracks.html

Would he be "waiting" for the large animal pick up people?

I do remember watching him race a few times on television. He was cute.

Excellent article.

One can't help but notice that Penn National Gaming is as usual mixed up in the worst of the worst racing in the country

Is really unfortunate that horseman can be banned but certain track owners can't be run out of the business.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Assuming you are referring to the dead horse, I read that article when it came out so didn't reread it again now, every track has an area they call the pit. Sometimes it really is a pit, sometimes it is just a secluded area where they put the horses until the renderer can pick them up.

Yes. That's what I thought, Laurie. Just wanted to be sure.

Darn, he was not a big deal of a race horse but I really liked him.

I'm a little perplexed by the photo, although I've never seen Ruidoso's pit I can't imagine it's open like that and they leave the horse hanging out, makes me think they "posed" him for this photo which is pretty disgusting. If the horse were left like this, his body wouldn't last long at Ruidoso, as they are up in the mountains and there are coyotes, bears and mountain lions all over that place. Maybe thats what they do with them, wouldn't surprise me

At Zia Park the "pit" (actually the metal box like this one) is RIGHT across the pathway from one of the barns (and at Zia, it was usually full) and at SunRay, the pit was actually attached to the test barn, right in the middle of the stable area. My friends pony horse would freak out and refuse to go even by the barn that was next to the pit. You could tell he knew what went on there.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I'm a little perplexed by the photo, although I've never seen Ruidoso's pit I can't imagine it's open like that and they leave the horse hanging out, makes me think they "posed" him for this photo which is pretty disgusting.

I thought that too, Banshee. Disrespectful to the horse, to say the least.

At Zia Park the "pit" (actually the metal box like this one) is RIGHT across the pathway from one of the barns (and at Zia, it was usually full)

Eeek, usually full - did that get odoriferous? And rodent infested?

and at SunRay, the pit was actually attached to the test barn, right in the middle of the stable area.

bluck

My friends pony horse would freak out and refuse to go even by the barn that was next to the pit. You could tell he knew what went on there.

Oh, poor guy to have to think about that.

Where I used to work, they would scoop them up with a payloader and bring them to an area out back (scrubby lot) where they would be before being picked up. My barn used to be near the path the payloaders buckets with the legs sticking out of them would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    I'm a little perplexed by the photo, although I've never seen Ruidoso's pit I can't imagine it's open like that and they leave the horse hanging out, makes me think they "posed" him for this photo which is pretty disgusting.

I thought that too, Banshee. Disrespectful to the horse, to say the least.

At Zia Park the "pit" (actually the metal box like this one) is RIGHT across the pathway from one of the barns (and at Zia, it was usually full)

Eeek, usually full - did that get odoriferous? And rodent infested?

and at SunRay, the pit was actually attached to the test barn, right in the middle of the stable area.

bluck

My friends pony horse would freak out and refuse to go even by the barn that was next to the pit. You could tell he knew what went on there.

Oh, poor guy to have to think about that.

Where I used to work, they would scoop them up with a payloader and bring them to an area out back (scrubby lot) where they would be before being picked up. My barn used to be near the path the payloaders buckets with the legs sticking out of them would pass.
    I didn't mean full as in full of dead horses, lol sorry should have worded that differently. But there was so many breakdowns there that many dead horses were taken there. They usually tried to take the ones that needed to be euthanized and put them right in the box to put them down so they didn't have to haul a dead horse around. I know it's logical but it made me feel so bad for those horses, you know they knew what went on in there :-(
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Gotcha. Thanks, BB.