The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking at the EcoGold and Premier boots! Went back to old fashion polo wraps for the time being until I can figure out what to use. Want to make sure that everything has calmed down before booting up again! Thank you for the suggestions!

1 members found this post helpful.

This is a great thread because I now will mark Dalmar off the list. I've been shopping for the "perfect" xc boot for the past few months and haven't gotten them yet.

I do not boot my horses that often. They are turned out 24/7 (with the exception of horrible weather) on hilly, rocky terrain, and the herd runs all about quite often. With the exception of one, who sometimes interferes in the rear and wears a pastern ring, they just don't get leg injuries. If this is the case, why do I need to boot up when I'm hacking out or doing flatwork in a sand arena?

I do put on boots if I am jumping a lot, or if I am doing a lot of upper level dressage work.

And, of course, I always wear nice boots for lessons or when in public.

I have the P.E. xc boots but the hinds are really tall and my horses always do the "dance" when I first put them on. I wonder of they are restrictive because they go so far up on the hock.

I'm interested in the new N.E.W. air-colled boot that is only available across the pond at this time. But I'm not willing to spend the money to have them shipped over here, if they're not what I want.

I do have the Nunn Finer XC boots that I've had for years. Easy to clean and put on. They do trap heat.

So I have not yet found boots that I love.... and am hoping that the new NEWs will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    When I was young, I used boots on my horses all the time religiously. As I have gotten older, I am rethinking that quite a bit and using them only when I have a specific need. In part this is because I now do a lot more riding in weeds and in part this is because one of my horses is hard to fit... but I haven't had any negative experiences from not using boots to hack.

TullyMars, thanks for your account. I would have been shocked and appalled to see that too.