The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dalmar Boots?

Anyone have good/bad experience with them? Just ordered some from my local tack shop and I've been hearing horror stories about the strike plate shattering and going into the tendon? Anyone have their Dalmars shatter? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for an XC boot? Tried the Ecogolds and am not happy with them, the Eskadrons also trap too much heat for my liking. Suggestions/Reviews?

I have them and I love them. They are lightweight, easy to clean, they breath and they do not hold water. One of the horses in my barn had a really hard strike on a back boot and it tore the boot to shreds BUT DID NOT SHATTER the strike plate. It did its job and it did it well.

Nancy

We have quite a few sets and they are terrific boots....

But I must admit I was slightly perturbed when a horse took an awkward tumble one day and one of the Dalmar overreach boots got the brunt of it. The boot ripped and the strike plate underneath was exposed and had broken into large scary looking shards.

I have a pair of open fronts for stadium, and I love them. That said, I only use them for stadium and have a set of Ecogold xc boots because of that strike-plate scariness. They ARE lightweight and easy to clean, which almost makes me want some of their XC boots...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Love my Premier Equine XC boots.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

3 members found this post helpful.

I love that they don't hold water or heat. Horse's legs are nice and cool afterwards. They're easy to clean too.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Angry Dalmar front boots caused tendon inflamation...

So, my experiance with the Dalmar front cross country boot was a bit of a problem. My daughter loved the look of these boots and we ordered a pair for the front and the hind. They were on back order with Bit Of Britain so months later they arrive. The hind boots were too big so they were returned. Used the front as the everyday boot on my daughters horse and had no clue that we were in for a problem. Noticed a few white hairs on his legs but he was winter furry and I did not even think twice about it...
    Jump forward to a week ago... I body clip the pony and when I get the forelegs clipped the EXACT print of the boot has worn the hair white on the bilateral fore tendons. Without the boot on it looks like the boot IS on. On the front of the legs the bilateral fore extenson tendons also have white stripes down them. Compare the boot...and it is exact. Now on the exterior hair the hair was normal with a couple of hairs...shaved it is scary. I had my veterinary practice look at the forelegs and compare to the boot and the pattern, and the consensus is inflammation of the tendons both on the back and on the front. They said that the boots held the heat in and it put pressure on the leg. The inflexability of the strike plate seems to be part of the problem. When the leg would flex the boot would not and hence the cycle. I hate to think of what would have happened if I had not clipped and seen the damage. On the exterior the boot looked like a good fit, but inside it was not. So I have a hunter with substantial white scarring of the front legs and neither the company Bit Of Britain, who sold the boots to me, nor the Dalmar want to even talk about it. Then Bit of Britain says that I can send them back but now since they are a used product I need to pay the restocking fee. Thank god the rear ones REALLY did not fit! I could have blemished all 4 legs instead of just 2. I am seriously crushed about this. Well everyone else that would be tempted to buy Dalmar boots PLEASE BEWARE and watch very closely, or just go with another boot. And Bit Of Britain...I think you should be called the S*** of Britain for standing behind the products you sell. Just wanted to have a conversation about the problem and they ran away from me like I had the plague. Way to go! Lost a customer people. Watch that custom strikeplate protect your horse...Yeah right. WCYD?

3 members found this post helpful.

Another experience here .... I helped someone duck tape one of hers on prior to a competition; she said the velcro had ripped off and she had the boots less then a year.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a pair of front racing-style (so there is only a strike-plate on the rear tendon, and no hard protection over the front of the cannon). I like them for being lightweight and with airflow.

Having worked with some very sensitive TBs I am very, very conscious of boot fit, rubbing, strike plates, stitching lines, and breathability. I minutely examine my boots for suitability prior to purchase and after use.
    Last edited by Blugal; Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: To be fair
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Blugal, as I am VERY conscious of any wrap or boot fitting correctly. Unfortunatly the horse in question has white on his legs interspersed in as he is roan. We waited until very late in the season to body clip and when clipped it exposed the markings. Purely making the suggestion to those less experiance than I am,(a equine health care professional, working in an equine hospital inspecting legs, wrapping legs, putting on surgical wraps, etc)to please be aware. If it got by me it WILL get by those with less experiance. It may not be the boot for me, but it may float your obviously VERY experianced boat. My experiance only. Glad you are such the better horsewoman. Go minutely inspect your legs, fit and your suitability. My opinion when someone (the OP)asked. Isn't this what COTH forum is for? Honest opinions and answers? Not condecending, treatment of others. Wow. Hope you have NEVER had a tendon or leg problem in your barn EVER with those inspections.

You're right, and I apologize.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry. Just got hot with manufacturer not talking to me about what was happening. No more. Thanks.

I do not want anything from them, just to see what the problem was with the ones specifically for my horse. They appeared to be very state of the art and a very advanced air cool design. I only used them for the hunters and I wondered if it was the sand getting worked down in them. What is your thought? The sand though should be far less than should ever be encountered on cross country though... and we should not be wet...I do not know how to post pictures yet, but it is very interesting to see!

It is probably not the sand - when I bought my Dalmars, I spoke to the Rep (was at a big HT in England) and specifically asked about sand because I was concerned about the air vents allowing sand in. He assured me it wouldn't happen. Now mine are a little different than yours, but I have used them in sand arenas as well as XC schooling and never had a problem with sand.

Also agree with you on water - should not be a problem either.

I suspect the issue would be with the tendon guard irritating somehow. Maybe just not a matching shape for leg/boot.
    Blugal

I was thinking that perhaps the tendon gaurd may be a bit long and rigid for this particular match. I keep going back to the sand with the air vents, but again just perplexed. The horse was never displayed unsoundness, nor tendon swelling, but the white hairs are indicative of inflammation that caused the follicles to change the original hairgrowth color. He had not been wearing any other type of boot during this time period, and the previous boots were Eskadron open front boots. We changed him into Mattes sheepskin boots, but I am wondering if that will hold to much heat in right now. Perhaps I should just go back to the Eskadron since that is what we started with. Do you have any other boot suggestions? We ride in the ring 5 days a week as a hunter 2'6" to 2'9" ,go with a trail ride,or occasional dressage lesson thrown in to keep some variation in my daughters training. Would like my daughter to have as well rounded riding experiance I can provide! He is a great pony with what I thought were not to sensitive legs! Suggestions please!

Go with something that is guaranteed not to irritate. Can you go back to what he was in before?

Sometimes you have to experiment if they are sensitive. I hate boots with fleece (trap sand), neoprene (trap heat), too rigid or with prominent seams (rub). Felt-lined boots or polo wraps can be good for sensitive horses, but are no good in wet conditions. Leather boots are also an option, though expensive, and can be difficult to find just the right boot.

I bought a pair of Premier boots, not the air-cooled ones (had someone bring them back from the UK, so I couldn't see/touch them before buying), but am not happy with them - very much a heat-trapping material.
    Blugal

https://www.premierequine.co.uk/acat...ing_Boots.html

Premier has some air cooled brushing boots- have the air vents without the strike plate.

I cannot remember who it was on Horse and Hound Online who had the tendon guard shatter and the shards go into the horse's tendon, but it was a first-hand account. Because of that, I won't use Dalmars.
    Interesting (and shocking) about TullyMars' experience. I have heard that a top U.K. trainer does not like the most popular boot on the market because of the bottom of the tendon guards causing tendonitis... but it was 2nd/3rd hand so I daren't say who or which one. Worth a very careful check, anyway.
    Interestingly, the tendon guard on the Ecogold xc boots (front) is shorter than on their open-fronted tendon boots. When I questioned this, they said they'd made them like that according to feedback they'd received from top riders who tested them.
    I love the Ecogolds. Also NEW (New Equine Wear) aircooled, very lightweight, BUT no shock absorption (if that's what you want). I use PE aircooled on the hinds, usually.

When I was young, I used boots on my horses all the time religiously. As I have gotten older, I am rethinking that quite a bit and using them only when I have a specific need. In part this is because I now do a lot more riding in weeds and in part this is because one of my horses is hard to fit... but I haven't had any negative experiences from not using boots to hack.

TullyMars, thanks for your account. I would have been shocked and appalled to see that too.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I had some, rubbed my horse - sold them, got the EcoGold XC Boots that I absolutely adore.