The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Trot
    $450 seems like a decent wage to me - no taxes withheld, free car, house trailer...hell, I may just go join them! They feed, muck, turnout, blanket, hold for vet/farrier/ bushhog, do repairs, etc. They are great workers...just lecherous!

Perhaps I shouldn't be scared...if they were gonna gang-rape me, they would have done it by now...

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

I know you're not picking on me, and you do make very valid points. I know it's not racism (although there is plenty of that too, read my previous post) but ignorance.

I admit I find ignorance harder to deal with in this country simply because there are so many more opportunities to learn about different cultures then there are in places like the city I am from (population 10,000, two tv channells, 3 fm radio channels, one am radio channel) I find it easier to accept cultural ignorance from someone who never has a chance to know better then from someone who has all the opportunities but still insists I'm lying when I say that in Argentina we don't eat tacos (yes, this has happened). Many people here can afford to travel to other countries, there are great libraries here, internet access is very affordable, etc.

I do understand that a large part of the questions and commenst are a way for people to reach out to other people, and believe me, i usually am just amused by most comments and questions. However there are times when I get upset, but that only tends to happen when people are very sure that I'm lying to them, or are being stubborn and trying to correct me (someone once told me that I'm stupid because I should know that Brazil is the capital of Buenos Aires [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) or question me ("Are you sure spanish is the language spoken in Argentina?" "Gee, I only lived most of my life there") or, my favorite, correct the way I speak spanish [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] .
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

Hah Karina - some of what you've described sounds like individuals who choose to remain ignorant and become *rude*. Don't blame you for becoming irritable.

I don't know the capital of probably 40 of the 51 (there are 51, right?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] states in the US. I hope no one ever makes fun of me! Jeezz....you should'a asked that person the capitol of Nebraska or something.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

martha
    Proud member of the * Hoof Fetish & the NervousNellieWorryWart* cliques!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcmIV:
    Hah Karina - some of what you've described sounds like individuals who choose to remain ignorant and become *rude*. Don't blame you for becoming irritable.

I don't know the capital of probably 40 of the 51 (there are 51, right?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] states in the US. I hope no one ever makes fun of me! Jeezz....you should'a asked that person the capitol of Nebraska or something.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

martha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The geography bonehead in question asked me where I was from, and he proceeded to tell me that Argentina is a city in Buenos Aires and that Brazil is the capital of Bs.As. I tried to explain to him that he was a little confused and that's whn he told me I was stupid [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't worry, I won't pick on you about geography. I'm not great at it either.

Karina....too funny "(someone once told me that I'm stupid because I should know that Brazil is the capital of Buenos Aires )"

A friend of mine from Iran lived in Frostburg, Maryland which is Western Maryland the piece that is in between WVA and PA. Anwyay, her Father was the head of the Business Department and after they moved there someone in the store asked them if they have the same sun!!!! And people wondered how they got to the U.S....."Did you swim was her favorite!!!!!"
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Moesha, you win! LOL, the same sun! Swimming here! I've got to tell my parents that one.

I am an anti-poor bigot because I think the welfare system sucks??????? You think it is great?????? It does not do enough to get people off welfare and into jobs in which they can provide for themselves and their families! What the heck are you talking about?

Oh do I ever feel for you!! And ya as previously stated if you are blonde and blue eyed..you are SCREWED!! However I can sympathize if you are an individual that finds these situations difficult. I do to know end and find myself in these situations more than I care to say...lets just say that if I go to say Mexico it will not be without male accompaniment otherwise I get followed.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I agree with the talk about your boyfriend..maybe throw in a disease or two [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

*Wonder*

"What made her great destroyed her"
    -Member of the Thoroughbred Clique-
    *Wonder*

\"What made her great destroyed her\"

The South, like swimming in warm vasaline!!

you are doing what everyone here has been saying not to do and that is make generalizations!
    All humans are worthy of the truth, and the Mexico thing, well I am not even going to go there! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Quantum Phyiscs meet Dressage...Superposition Position

Flash44--

I seem to get myself into trouble everytime I touch the keyboard. I may have misunderstood your post. Re-reading it now, it seems to me that there was some ambiguity in what you wrote. I guess that when I read "the welfare system sucks," being the good liberal Democrat that I am, how I interpret that is something along the lines of "welfare cadillacs," i.e., that the poor are getting rich off of welfare. I see now, however, that you might have been making a statement along the lines of "the welfare system does not do a good job of helping the poor who have families find decent work at a good wage."

I apologize for my misinterpretation and any pain I may have caused you.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I see now, however, that you might have been making a statement along the lines of "the welfare system does not do a good job of helping the poor who have families find decent work at a good wage."

I'll have to agree with the above statement...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> $450 seems like a decent wage to me - no taxes withheld, free car, house trailer...hell, I may just go join them! They feed, muck, turnout, blanket, hold for vet/farrier/ bushhog, do repairs, etc. They are great workers...just lecherous!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gambit, I think I may have solved your problem. Get the barn manager to hire ME. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That way, when you're out there at night, you have backup in the form of a 40+ yr, nearly 6-foot, 180-pound Mean Old Lady - who has a hunting whip and knows how to use it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It's OK, I guess it could be interpreted in many ways. I'm of the "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, you feed him for the rest of his life" mantra. Not enough is being done for the less fortunate.

Come on over!!!!
    Yeah, I think they have a pretty sweet deal, myself...without taxes, free housing & auto, they're doing better than I am! Gee - did I waste all that edumacation & professional licensing?

***UPDATE***
    So, now one of the guys has gone back to Mexico leaving his brother and a friend to care for the horses...neither have horse knowledge...but they're doing an OK job...but still lecherous as ever...
    New twist: discovered them doing drugs on property before night check - told owner - he says "oh, no they aren't"...yet he said he is replacing them soon with an former employee of his.
    I hope it is soon because I really don't want to leave this place - fabulous turnout, my horse seems well cared for (feed, H2O & stall, etc.)...just the employees are questionable.