The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Found great "safe" treats for my IR horse

My wonderful mare (who is cresty, round) etc, was diagnosed with IR four weeks ago. She was so upset with her lifestyle change, especially the no treat thing. My vet has given some samples of a tested low sugar, low starch treat called BEET-E-BITES. They are flaxseed/beetpulp based all natural treats and she loves them(I think the peppermint are fave's!) Now we can have our treats and not have the atitude we were having!
    I found out from my vet cause she recommends them to her IR copmetition horses, because they are herb-free, no positive tests.
    I also use the triple crown lite and (now) tested hay.
    No laminitis so far!
    Who else has IR horses that still compete?

The treats look great, wish they weren't so expensive! My pony has Cushing's and PSSM so these would be perfect. But for now we just use BOSS as treats, he loves 'em.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Default Emerald Valley Beet Treats

Thanks for sharing - great to know of other options!

My IR gelding is super-picky, and absolutely LOVES Emerald Valley Beet Treats!
    http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/beet-treats.cfm

95% sugar free treat

These specially formulated treats are 95% sugar free, low fat, low starch, high fiber source. You will not find any cereals, grains, artificial colors, preservatives or fillers in these crunchy treats your horse or pony will love.

- Low Fat
    - Low Sugar
    - High Fiber
    Made from Speedi-Beet, a 95% sugar- free micronized sugar beet. Ingredients: Beet flakes, water, natural flavor.

Available in three flavors: cinnamon, green apple and licorice.

My IR horse adapted to "diet treats" easily. He now loves celery (instead of carrots) and roasted peanuts (instead of candy).

No sign of laminitis at 9 years old, but we caught the IR early.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Ditto the Celery

For "treat" treats: you can't miss with Herballs by Hilton Herbs. All sugar & starch free and they smell amazing!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My horse loved the Hilton Herballs at first; after a few months he started spitting them out. Shame, because I loved the smell of those things. He thought celery was the most awful thing ever and after trying one stalk, he sniffed everything afterwards with much suspicion.

Are the beet treats available in tack shops?