The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Show name for "R-line" hunter- has to start with "R"?

Recently I sold my former horse and just bought a young hunter prospect that hails from the "R-line" of Hanoverians. A quick search of USEF records clearly show that most people give descendants from this line a show name that starts with "R."

I had two names I liked, neither of which started with "R." Is it a major faux pas not to follow this convention? Not a big deal? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by baymarewithflair View Post
    Recently I sold my former horse and just bought a young hunter prospect that hails from the "R-line" of Hanoverians. A quick search of USEF records clearly show that most people give descendants from this line a show name that starts with "R."

I had two names I liked, neither of which started with "R." Is it a major faux pas not to follow this convention? Not a big deal? Just wondering.
    I don't think it's a big deal. But it could be fun to stick with tradition - I probably would.

When I bought my young horse years ago, part of the sales agreement included a clause that said I would follow their naming protocal - and that meant my horse had to have a name that started with W......so you might check first to see if there are expectations on how you name him.

Did he come with a name? If so, why not use that?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Why not tell us the names you like and we'll see if we can come up with something similar that begins with an R?

I had to go to the Italian dictionary to come up with an R name for Rico. Ended up with Razzaro, which means 'little boy'. It fit him perfectly, as we always called him Trav's little brother and baby boy.

For Inky, I wanted something that went along with his barn name, and we decided on Inclination.

I'm very partial to one word names and am not into 'cute' for my personal horses, but have to admit that I enjoy the 'name game'.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Oh man show names!

I too would probably stick with tradition but if the seller didn't specify then I am sure you can do what you want
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

I would stick with the R theme.

I have always liked "Ricochet" for a hunter. Name him that
    Professional hunter princess

Does he have papers? If so, what is his breed registry name? I would stick to whatever the breeder chose unless it was completely horrible.

Then my next question would be, who is the sire? Who is the dam? I would play off of those names so that it is somewhat recognizable WHICH R-line horse he came from.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    Does he have papers? If so, what is his breed registry name? I would stick to whatever the breeder chose unless it was completely horrible.

Then my next question would be, who is the sire? Who is the dam? I would play off of those names so that it is somewhat recognizable WHICH R-line horse he came from.
    Agreed. And in some cases his name must start with an R.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Did he come with a name? If so, why not use that?
    I don't always agree with Madeline but in this case I sure do! If you're concerned about tradition, why not use his registered/original name? Is it yucky?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

how about Rythmic

A quick search of USEF records clearly show that most people give descendants from this line a show name that starts with "R."

I think most of the people give their horses "R" names (or whatever letter applies) because they are proud to own an "R" Hanoverian and want everyone to know they have a fancy, expensive warmblood.

If you want your competitors to know that you are riding a "R" line horse, name him as close to his sire's name as you can.

If you don't care if people know your horse's pedigree, then go with one of the names you already love.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post

I asked today and they had been calling him Raphael, but no show name as far as I know. He is coming from Germany, so I think we can technically name him what we want.

The horse is by Rotspon out of a Hohenstein mare. There seem to be a lot of Rotspon babies in the US as well as several approved stallions, although he might be a bit more common in the dressage ring.

I am ok sticking with the "R" theme, just want to come up with something unique that isn't crazy and doesn't have dozens of horses listed under the same name. A friend suggested "Rhetorical" which I kinda liked. There is only one other horse registered with the USEF with that name and it is a dressage horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted River View Post

If you don't care if people know your horse's pedigree, then go with one of the names you already love.
    Yeah I really don't care, just wondered.

I would go to Pedigree Query and see how many of the same breed are named the same as the name you chose. Not so sure I'd care if it was a TWH or something.

A friend suggested "Rhetorical" which I kinda liked. There is only one other horse registered with the USEF with that name and it is a dressage horse.
    Love this name!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Rhetorical is a great name!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I like Rhetorical. What about Rhapsody?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted River View Post
    I think most of the people give their horses "R" names (or whatever letter applies) because they are proud to own an "R" Hanoverian and want everyone to know they have a fancy, expensive warmblood.

If you want your competitors to know that you are riding a "R" line horse, name him as close to his sire's name as you can.

In reality, the name protocol for each registry varies. Some use the first letter of the sire name. Some use a specific letter per year. It has nothing to do with wanting everyone to know they have a fancy, expensive warmblood... And even coming from Germany the horse will already have a registered name. Maybe wait to see what that is before picking something. (it will be on his passport so make sure you at least get that when you get him)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    In reality, the name protocol for each registry varies. Some use the first letter of the sire name. Some use a specific letter per year. It has nothing to do with wanting everyone to know they have a fancy, expensive warmblood... And even coming from Germany the horse will already have a registered name. Maybe wait to see what that is before picking something. (it will be on his passport so make sure you at least get that when you get him)
    I guess I needed to be more specific. I thought the discussion was on a show name, not a registered name. At least, that's what I was referring to with my statement. I am familiar with the naming protocol of the various WB registries.