The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Wow Ponykid we are a lot alike. I'm from Florida, just turned 15, I have a junior/children's horse(depends on how my eye is faring) and a large green pony. what state are you

Hey Pat ... I always wondered about the Chelse Equestrian Center... so what was the lowdown on it? I was always so concerned with the horses being holed up in NYC and all...

Hi, I haven't posted much but here goes,
    I am 15 and live in NY state.

Horse-Very tall black TB gelding, 4yrs old, extreemly talented, I LOVE HIM!

Cats-3, 2blacks, 1grey tiger
    I started riding when i was 6, and have just bought a horse. It just goes to show you that hard work and dedication really does pay off. now i have the horse of my dreams, and i couldn't be happier!
    Emily

It is very hard to keep horses healthy and happy in NYC. The Chelsea horses get more turn out than the Claremont ones I suspect. Atleast Chelsea has an outdoor that can double as turnout during the slow part of the day. The major mistake made at CEC waaaay back in the begginning was that they bought an awful lot of inappropriate horses. Many care in with serious soundness issues, not just little things. Then later down the road when anyone else would have cut those horses loose, they still had them. The owner, CEO or whatever, had it in his head that he could get what the horse could make in a month if he sold it. So he hung $5000 price tags on horses that were worth maybe $800 to $1200. Some even less, like we'd be lucky to find a free home. So, instead of going on to retirement or another loving home (with turnout) they stand in 8x10 stalls. Nice, huh? With 46 horses and only one turnout, how do you balance the needs of the ones in work with the ones out of work. The whole mess was quite depressing at times.

In general,it's a pretty crummy place to work. Tons of weird interpersonal crap going on all the time. People quit and get fired all the time, and then get hired back only to be gone again. I honestly believe that the phones and possibly the office I shared with Lee are tapped. I think there are only 3 or 4 people who have been there since the beginning left. They only stay for the money, and honestly, none of them are good horse people.

As a matter of fact, I was hesitant to work for Montclair because one of the owners of CEC also owns MRA. He is NOT my favorite person in the world. Beggars can't be choosy, so I take the work where I find it.

Wow guys, this is great! I never imagined such a huge response and it has been so much fun to read about everyone's backgrounds and their current horses or ponies. So many of you older ones out there (and no, you are not elderly and have no reason to be bashful) have so much experience and wealth of knowledge it is amazing. You are like the old schoolmaster horses that pack their rides around- you know everything! I love reading all of this. To HorseLuv- my mom (who posts on the board sometimes but I wont tell her sn!) wont let me tell you what state I am from (over protective, huh?) but I can say I am from the South! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Ponykid,
    Every one of your posts is so impressive. Good for you mom (about the state you live in) and good for you for respecting her.
    Gry

Great idea, Pony Kid. Your question has not only gotten the folks who've been around awhile to tell more about themselves, but has even gotten lots of lurkers to show themselves and become part of the group! Yeah for you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Hey Guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Im Erin Githens, Im 15 and live in Glen Ridge, NJ. I have two horses, Coco Dancer "Coco" who I show in CHildrens Hunters, M&S, NAL, and SLT. And Breathtaking "Bella" who I show in 3ft jumpers. I ride at Sterling Meadow Farm in Bedminster NJ. I also have two cats Marble and Puzzle. Well thats just about it for me! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif Byebye!

[This message has been edited by ErinElliston (edited 01-17-2000).]
    -------------------------
    -Erin-
    \"Im so terrified of no one else but me
    Im here all the time
    I wont go away...\"
    (Matchbox 20, Long Day)

This was a neat idea! I am 25 and live in Alabama. Can't figure out what I really want to do! I have been teaching lessons lately. Have 1 one horse named Noble (Over Exposed) a 10 year old tb who at the moment is at Auburn. She had surgury Saturday morning. But she is doing better they say! I am married to a great guy who doesn't think to much of horses but after this weekend has become attached to her! We were gonna have her for sale but he really likes her now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]! We have 3 dogs a yellow lab Duke, a jack russell (gotta have a least 1) Tucker, and a fox hound named Kirra. We live 2 blocks from the beach so we are always there.

I have been riding since I was 13 so it is in blood forever. Started in short stirrup then childrens and jrs then tried jumpers. So that is about all! Again great idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I've left this a bit late, but here goes! I started riding when I was 6, but I've never had a horse of my own. I'm in college at one of the very "equine" schools in the Southeast, and plan to go to veterinary school. (I can't decide if I want to do small animals or horses, though, or maybe both!) http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

My eventual goal is to have a practice of my own, and also to rehab TBs from the track for useful lives in the hunters and jumpers. (Mostly I want to find a nice hunter for myself!)

I have a lovely Brittany dog but I don't see her as much as I'd like. The barn dogs at school kinda take her place, but it's not the same! I also have a "thing" for black labbies and plan to get a puppy as soon as I have the right environment for one.

Oh, my other major interest is the Thoroughbred lines that produce hunters and sporthorses of note. As you can imagine, I am a great fan of Dr. Birdsall's Chronicle Commentaries! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited 01-17-2000).]

Hi, been away from my computer and I come back to find all this plus little faces and folders on fire!
    My name is Melissa, I'm 24 years old and live in Waterford, NJ. I'm a Editor/Analyst for a biological abstracting company in Philadelphia. I started riding when I was 9, and did the whole junior thing. Pony hunter, Junior hunter, Eq., Junior Jumper. I went to Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA. I rode on the equestrian team my first year, went to Nationals, and then got more into the "college life"!! My husband is a pro. and runs our farm. I'm hoping to be doing the A/O's jumpers soon, but my prospect is only 3 so I have a few years to go! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I forgot to add we have two rottweilers, Axl and Kaya, two guinea hens, and fish. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Philly (edited 01-17-2000).]

OK--here goes.
    I'm 48 (aarrgh), was a horse-crazy kid who never had much opportunity to do anything about it. Out of college a year, working nights for a newspaper, I found myself crying in front of a soap opera. It was before the expression "get a life" came in vogue, but that's what I decided to do. Had always wanted to take formal riding lessons and called to a local hunter-jumper stable (not that I knew what that was at the time) and started taking lessons. Bought my first horse a year later.
    By the time I got married 10 years ago, I owned two horses. By the time my husband and I moved out to the country 6 years ago, we had three. Now we have 5 (including two daughters and a granddaughter -- born last Memorial Day -- of a mare that I bought 18 years ago).
    My husband has started riding -- we bought him a horse not long after moving to the country. And after I twisted his arm to get him in the competition field, he decided he likes it so much that he'll leave me behind to go to a show if I'm not ready. (Of course, I'll do the same to him, although we enjoy going together.)
    Although I still keep a toe in the hunter world, we both do combined training.
    We also have two dogs -- a toy poodle who is our child, and a labrador, who's very much a dog -- and (at the moment) six cats -- three house cats, one occasional house cat and two barn cats. Plus nine (also at the moment) head of black angus cattle, three guinea fowl, and some goldfish and catfish.
    We are both in the newspaper business -- he a reporter; me an editor. And we never have enough time at home. And, no, just because your horses are at home doesn't mean you always have time to ride them. But we love looking out the window at our horses.
    It's nice to meet all of you. And, ponykid, I've been very impressed with your comments. As I said before -- good spelling. Also, good grammar.

Hey HunterH, I live in Webster too, even if my profile says Rochester. I figured no one would have the slightest idea where Webster was. I was going to send you an e-mail, but I see you don't have one posted, probably a good idea! If you want, send me one. I'm betting that you ride at either Huntington or Patterson's, am I right?

[This message has been edited by LOUISE (edited 01-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by LOUISE (edited 01-17-2000).]
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thank you Olmos! I am flattered.

Hi! I'm new too! Some of you might know me from the EquiSearch boards. My name is Jenn, I'm 14 (but I will be 15 in about two weeks), and I live in Pennsylvania. I don't have a horse, but I take lessons twice a week, and in the summer I will be leasing a horse. I will lease and show either the large pony I am riding in lessons now, or one of my trainer's horses. I have been riding for 3 1/2 years, and I ride hunter/jumpers.
    Jenn

Hi. I have been reading this board for several months now and love it. Figured it was time to stop lurking and this is the perfect opportunity. My name is Carol, and I recently celebrated my 39th birthday for the second time. Currently have two horses, both TBs, one retired. Married, with a basically tolerant husband (who I met during the only non-horse period in my life, thus leaving me open to the claim that I married him under false pretenses) and one sweet almost 5 year-old boy. Past History: Have been totally in love with horses, and especially TBs probably since birth although coming from a totally non-horsey family. Grew up in suburbia (south shore of Long Island)but found some horses not too far away at a "hack" stable in Babylon, NY. Rode once or twice a week (all I could afford) from age 7 to about 14 on anything that had four legs. Today I still struggle with the "bad" habits I picked up during that time, although I learned alot about staying on horses that didn't particularly want to be ridden. Didn't know anything about the hunter/jumper world except for the National Horse Show, which I went to every year, hoping against hope to win that Courvoisier Arabian they gave away (Does anybody else remember that?). At 14, moved on to a nice barn, the Thomas School of Horsemanship, and actually learned how to ride a little. At 16, ran off the race track and got a job walking hots. Almost didn't go to college, since I wanted to ride race horses, but my parents said they'd kill me. Stopped riding pretty much altogether when I went to college and then law school. Got a job after law school at a big Manhattan law firm, and now had the money, but not the time for horses. Then I found a barn going up not too far from where I lived with an indoor ring, and could no longer resist. Took lessons once or twice a week for a year, then share-boarded a horse for a year, and then finally got my own -- a slightly crazy, basically crippled three year old TB (of course) just off the race track. Had him for several years, and loved him to death, but never could keep him sound for more than a month at a time or so. Finally, after much angst, gave him away. In the meantime, quit the law firm job and went to work in-house for a large NY TB breeding farm as general counsel (this was late eighties -- the farm raised most of its money thru tax shelter syndications). Looked like a dream job in many ways and it was for awhile (we went fox hunting on Wednesdays and Saturdays, they had a Lear jet that we flew to KY in for the yearling sales) until they basically went belly-up, so it was back to NYC law firm life again for awhile, until I finally bailed out for a more sane (but unfortunately much less lucrative) lifestyle. On the horse front, I shareboarded and/or leased for several more years, and then finally found the horse of my dreams -- the most wonderful little TB mare with a heart ten times larger than her body. We did the A/A jumpers for several years and she always took care of me. I retired her this year and although its financially extremely difficult for me (where I live, there are no inexpensive options for keeping horses), I am committed to taking care of her. I owe her that much. In the meantime, I am leasing (and hopefully buying at some point in the not too distant future)another wonderful TB mare. We also show in the A/A jumpers and had a great summer this year showing in the NY, VT, CT, NJ area. Looking forward to participating on this board.

Hi all. I have four horses. I have showen in juniors, childrens, eq, medal, and jumpers. This is my first year as an Adult rider. It's different. I had a pony. I never really got to do the pony thing though. I think this thread was a good Idea. Now I know a little bit more about people that I've been talking to. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I'm 33, married and live in Michigan. I currently have a 8 yr. old OTT TB mare who I show on the H/J circuit (she did exceptionally well this past year - 7 Champion/Reserve Champion year end awards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

We also have two labrador puppies (Tyler & Ivy) and a VERY large cat (18+ lbs).

I work part-time as a Marketing/Admin Manager so that I can be home from the barn when my husband gets home from work. It works well and he's 110% supportive of my riding, but lately he's been hinting at the idea of starting a family. Yikes!! Maybe after this show season . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Hello to all! I've been lurking here for many months but will throw off my cloak and say, "howdy!"

I'm Kristin; I'm 30 years old and live in Virginia between the fabled Hunt Country and Washington, D.C. Since birth I've been horse-obsessed and have a fine collection of Breyer models to prove it!

I rode whenever I could beg, borrow or steal the opportunity. About 5 years ago I decided to "try" riding lessons and my obsession was instantly renewed.

Now I lease a horse and hope to purchase one next year (cross your fingers!) I ride in Adult Amateurs at local shows and hope to try a "bigger" show within the next year.

This fall my non-horsey fiance and I will be married at the stables. I'm still tossing around the idea of riding into the event. . . If anyone has attempted such madness I'd love to hear your advice!

It's been nice to learn more about the people here. I've learned a lot from lurking and listening.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 01-18-2000).]
    ----------------------------
    "Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all."
    --Monica Dickens

Read this! http://www.chronofhorse.com/features...ter/cooky.html
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode