The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hi, I am new on the board (although I am an avid Chronicle junior reader) and I was wondering if everyone would take a minute to introduce themselves- their horses, hobbies (well, I guess it would be horses!), what they ride in, et cetera. I know that many of you already know each other (Portia, Lucien, Barb, Ben & Me...) but I would love to get to know you! I'll start. I am fourteen and I live in the south, I have a children's hunter and a large pony hunter, I love science, I want to be an ambassador to the UN when I grow up, and I love horses! I might be getting an adorable corgi soon (my yellow lab Jasper had to be put to sleep recently), I have a rabbit named Matilda, and a cat named Annabelle.

Hi, I am new on the board (although I am an avid Chronicle junior reader) and I was wondering if everyone would take a minute to introduce themselves- their horses, hobbies (well, I guess it would be horses!), what they ride in, et cetera. I know that many of you already know each other (Portia, Lucien, Barb, Ben & Me...) but I would love to get to know you! I'll start. I am fourteen and I live in the south, I have a children's hunter and a large pony hunter, I love science, I want to be an ambassador to the UN when I grow up, and I love horses! I might be getting an adorable corgi soon (my yellow lab Jasper had to be put to sleep recently), I have a rabbit named Matilda, and a cat named Annabelle.

Hi! I'm Jody. I am finishing law school this May. I'm 23 and have my BSBA in Buisness Management from the University of Florida. I'm single, but dating a tremedous guy, who supports my obsession. In addition to my horsey habbit, I ice skate, play piano, and help run a children's choir at my church. I usually ride in the open jumpers and own and work with a few horses. I also enjoy dressage. I do teach some lessons, but am so busy right now one of my working students is running the show. I live in Florida. I'll always remeber at the last WEF running around and teaching on crutches after an ice skating accident landed me with a broken ankle. Great idea about this post... I know names, but don't know much about the people behind them! =)

[This message has been edited by Jody (edited 01-15-2000).]

I'll go. Hi Ponykid, welcome to the board. I live in the Northeast and have two horses, one thourobred and one polish warmblood, both, unfortunately retired - so I'm grounded right now. I ride dressage, so what am I doing on this board?

1. I like the people on this board
    2. I like the ideas expressed
    3. I may ride dressage(and love it), but I also love to watch hunter/jumper and am always willing to learn more about the disciplines.

As for age, well, lets just say that I'm considerably older than you are and leave it at that. And, as for what I want to be when I grow up -- retired, so I can spend more time riding and being with my horses.

Have fun on this board, we'll look forward to hearing from you.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Well, it's so hard for me to talk about myself, but if you insist [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

41 years old, single, lawyer with a mega-firm, lived in Houston since '86, before that born and raised in California (San Diego, family is still in CA). Graduated with a degree in Dramatic Arts from San Diego State, then after a few years went back to law school at University of San Diego.

I grew up riding saddleseat, then rode off and on for a while through school, took it up again seriously 8 years ago. Evented for a while and now do the adult jumpers up to 3'6" - 3'9".

Two horses, 12 year old chestnut Trakehner gelding Lucien and 4 year old grey Oldenburg mare Portia, both are jumpers but my trainer shows Portia.

Three cats, 10 year old grey female tabby named Greyling [a/k/a her evil twin, Grelnig], and two 8 month old kittens, sisters, a black and white named Monster and a grey/brown/white tabby named Creature. Love dogs but not home enough to keep one so I spoil the barn dogs.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Oh wow Ponykid, I'm honored that you mentioned my name, I'm probably one of the youngest posters on this forum! I'm 13, show in Children's Hunters, and live in NC. My horse, Ben, is a TB Gelding, 15 years old, around 16.1 hands. We're going to be looking for a scopier horse sometime soon. I've been riding since I was 5 and I really love horses! I like all of the people on this forum and enjoy learning from all of their expirience.

Welcome!

Okay, I'll play.
    Also started out riding Saddlebreds, moved to the h/j's as soon as a I saw my first jumper - I was about 10. Took the usual time off to chase boys, drive cars and go to college. Bought my 16.3h, TB, G exactly 3 years ago. Started him in the 3'6"'s and then found eventing.
    My gelding is 18, so he will continue to be ridden at Novice and Training for as long as he is sound and happy. I am looking for a horse to do my first CCI*.

I am 31, live in Chicago have a Siberian Huskie, Nanook and a husband who plays a lot of golf and thinks he wants children some time soon. (Ben-want to be adopted?) I am a commercial real estate lender with a boss that understands my "much more than a hobby" hobby. My hair turned gray in my early 20's.

Love this board and the opinions expressed.

Oh well...44, recently single again, family from MA, moved to south FL in 1957, back to MA in 1967, back to south FL (which I found considerably changed) as an adult in 1986.

BA Dartmouth College 1977, double major in English and Biology/Psychology. One thesis short of MS in marine ecology. (Just for you, Portia--one semester law school, wrong hoops for me...<G> ) Conventional jobs include: Stringer for regional newspaper; magazine industry; litigation legal assistant, non-legal writing. Unconventional jobs include: hotel and restaurant industries; picture framing; PADI SCUBA instructor and divemaster in FL and Bahamas. Current plans in process.

Rode in teens, pony club, local shows, with a great old-time horseman (who probably would horrify some people now <G> ) and stopped in college. Re-obsessed 3 years ago, one-plus year layoff when first horse retired. Now very happy owner of 12yo TB gelding...who knows what we will accomplish <G>.

Visitation rights and pet support of 3 great cats. My wonderful Dobie was put down last summer, and I'm preparing for a new Dobie puppy now. Also like reading fiction, tennis, all things marine, writing and debating <G>, comparative religion, philosophy, ethics...etc.

[This message has been edited by Nancey Phillips Fisher (edited 01-14-2000).]
    Tinwhistle Farm

Today is my LAST day working at the University of Virginia in beautiful Charlottesville. I'm taking some time off to travel then who knows.

I'm 25 and have always been a horse nut. I have dabbled in many different areas from equitation to 3day. I play polo with my boyfriend now, though I'm missing those jumps terribly! I've mucked, taught lessons, groomed, managed a small facility and generally just done anything necessary to keep me around these wonderful creatures.

I no longer have my own horse, but would love to buy a foxhunter next.

BTW, for those single gals on the board, there are a lot of sexy men playing polo.

Hi My name is Stephanie. I'm 14 but I'll be 15 in less than two weeks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I have been riding since I was 5 and half. I have a 15 year old TB Childrens hunter who is sadly laid up till summer.(a breif update for all you, he seems to be getting worse and not better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ) I also have a Large pony who is semi retired. I also do vaulting. I play locrosse and I cheerlead. I'm not sure what I want to do when I grow up. Maybe an FBI agent or a photographer. I guess that's about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Hi there! I'm 32 years old and live in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Moved here 2 years ago from Middleburg, Virginia because of work - am still adjusting!) I have 4 horses, 3 dogs, a cat and a goat.

Horse 1: 6 yr old QH that is a saint for my husband to ride (beginner) western
    Horse 2: 2 yr old paint. Have had him since he was a weanling - is adorable but spoiled - incredible mover.
    Horse 3: 4 yr old 17h TB G - investment pre-green horse - trying to sell - too many horses!
    Horse 4: 14yr old TB G - has done it all and is very fancy - spend a fortune keeping him sound but he's a perfect boy

Dogs: Whiteny (grt. pyrnees); Henry (st. Bernard); and Echo (cocker spaniel)

Goat: Felix. Generic Pygmy - adorable - 8wks old

Husband: Animal lover (thank you!!) and sweet as they come

Utah is not exactly hunter/jumper land. It is not unusual for me to be riding at the equestrian park across the street from my house and to have western riding kids ask me what kind of saddle I have. I often get strange looks! This board is great to read because I feel like I can somehow stay connected!

Welcome!

Off the thread, but Sparkles, sometimes things look worse before they get better. What does your vet say?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Ok My turn I guess.
    My name is April and I am (ew)46, married, two kids in college. I currently work for the PA Dept of Environmental Protection in the State 'superfund' program. I have an Akita named Flash - a great mover - and the kids two cats live with us. (for some reason they are not allowed in dorms, or even apartments where their owner is the only non-allergic person around!)
    I have been riding since I was 2 - with the requisite time off in college. Rode in France for 3 years as a kid, with old Saumur hands as instructors, came back to Pickering Pony Club, back when combined training was the only Rally they had, fox hunted, did h/j. I was the barn rider for a dealer in high school, and often got to ride the 'unrideable' horses from other peoples barns. Worked after college as a trainer, then at Heritage Saddlery in West Chester, PA. Still live on the farm I grew up on - my sister is a trainer. I bought an 'investment' horse off the track years ago, fell in love with him and kept him for >11 years. We fox hunted, and could win in the hunter or jumper ring, sometimes on the same day. He broke his hock in the field in 12/98. I still miss him. I don't own a horse right now - Easy is irreplaceable! (not that I have any available funds - I send all my money to either RIT or USC!)
    I am riding a very nice Roemer mare these days, for her currently non-riding owner.

Oh yeah almost forgot Weatherford and I go back a ways !

[This message has been edited by SoEasy (edited 01-14-2000).]
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

i'm relatively new to this board, too. i discovered it when i had some free time at christmas, and have become addicted to it, i must say. luckily i work in computers (i produce web sites for a public television show) so it's easy for me to check in. One of my favorite things about this board (and about riding, too, more generally) is that it joins together people of all different ages. I'm 31, and love hanging out with the juniors at my barn (and i learn stuff from their mothers, too). I ride at a hunter jumper barn near boston, with the same trainer i had when i was a kid. I took quite a few years off (btw 16 and 28) but have gotten completely back into it. Unfortunately, my job prevents me from having a horse full time during the year, but for the past 2 years i've done short term leases on a two sweet warmbloods. spent the first summer back at 2'6"; ;last summer doing some adult hunters, and i'm hoping to do some low jumpers on a horse at my barn this coming summer. I ride 4 days a week on a good week, on all sorts of horses, from problem school horses to some very fancy show horses that need hacking for their owners.

oh, and i'm single, too, and appreciate the tip about polo!

and to portia-- i went to law school, too, but couldn't hack the corporate scene. i admire you for sticking it out. sometimes i regret giving it up; i might be able to afford a nice horse by now....

anyway--this is probably more than you all wanted to know, but i'm enjoying everyone's thoughts.

Great Idea ponykid... I too have felt like i was starting to know some people on the board, but it is nice to get to know them a little better... so here goes...
    I am 27 and live in southern Michigan south of Ann Arbor, for all the University of Michigan fans... I'm not one.. graduated from Indiana University in 1995!!!!
    I bought my first horse four years ago.. Riley is a tb gelding.. whom many posters know I have been having problems with and whom I hope to find a nice retired type setting for very soon. My other two horse came to me this summer when my birthmother whom I had found five years ago passed away from cancer in may. One horse Mickey ( short for Michaelangelo) is registered Dutch warmblood. He is five and came to me untrained. We have been bonding since August and are getting down to the task of learning to be a hunter/jumper. Last wekend he showed he does have jump and I am very excited. My third horse is Tiara a registered Swedis Warmblood mare. She is 14 and no one had really done anything with her.. so we are overcoming a battle of wills... she wants to be a boss mare and i want to see her potential and hopefully breed her..though I realize that time is running out on that. Hopefully we will be showing on the B-circuit this summer. though i am not sure that Mickey will be ready.
    I love my small but close barn and spend my whole weekend there, and just about every evening. Come home eat, watch a little tv and then check the board before going to bed!!! I have learned alot and hope to continue to get new ideas from the forum.
    Oh I also have two cats... Milo an male Manx ( no tail cat!!!) and SLinky a looooong black cat who was dumped at the barn and who we needed at the apartment for Milo because he was getting fat and lazy with out a daytime buddy!!

Louise: People have told me about it getting worse before it gets better. It was starting to look good util he popped the stitches open. I really don't think it's ever goin gto seal up! Has anyone else ever had something simalar to this? How long did it take to close up? The vet is coming out @ 8:30 tomorrow to consider taking the drain out, and any other options we may have.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Oh, what the heck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm 26, single, live in Tempe AZ and am the Chronicle's West Coast correspondent/webmaster. I previously lived in Middleburg VA (hi Betsy!), and Ithaca NY before that (Cornell Univ. class of '95, degree in communication/animal science), and I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.

I've been riding forever, did Pony Club and have been eventing since about age 8, up through preliminary. I have two horses... my old event horse, Shamrock (Rocky), 23, TB/App who I've had since he was 10. He went to NY and VA with me, and is now here in AZ and semi-retired. I just got a new "project" in September... 8-y-o off-the-track TB named Chief who I hope to event later this year. Our goal is to do a 3-day before I'm 30 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Also have a cat named Gus who's very old and grouchy.

Very into music and the internet (see http://www.geocities.com/~eharty). Enjoying spending some time at home after traveling to cover more than 15 competitions for the Chronicle last year, and gearing up to spend a whole lotta time at Indio!

[This message has been edited by Erin (edited 01-14-2000).]

OK - SoEasy put me up to it (we do go back a ways, as she said, & I think I should add that she did not mention she won Prelim 3-day at Essex many years ago. So in addition to being a very, very nice person and very supportive of me during more than one difficult time, she is very modest about her riding).

I am 45 (eeek), grew up with horses (and dairy cows) in NJ - foxhunted (with my family, including my great Aunt who continued to hunt til she was in her late 70's early 80's - blue hair, side-saddle & all!)... First horse show on first birthday - although, I will admit, I do not remember it ;-)... PC'd - was lucky to have two incredible ponies - a small and later a large - who could do anything! Did the Jr/Amy jumpers - then went to college (Sarah Lawrence), then grad school (UofVA - MBA) (during which times my riding was relegated to pleasure & hunting when I could), then did the A/O jumpers again...then long story, but back to pleasure riding & then grad school again (MA in Music) and then another attempt at getting to A/O's (on the same pleasure horse/foxhunter that I had had for a while). Retired him, now making yet another attempt to get to the A/O's on another project...

Had a thriving out-of-print horse book business - til I decided I'd rather buy than sell books (hence the over 25,000 in my house and barn). Since leaving the business world, I have been working as a writer - primarily technical articles and online help for large corporations. Have just officially retired to return full time to my first love (tied with horses) of writing music.

Am going to WPB for the first time in a couple of days - will be doing all my own work and attempting to at least get around the A/A jumpers...If anyone from here is there, email me - I will have my laptop!

Oh, forgot to mention my wonderful lurcher puppy - blue merle, short coat, and getting taller daily...

[This message has been edited by Weatherford (edited 01-15-2000).]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I will not tell you how old I am.

I live in MD, married, one adorable 2 y.o. son who makes me laugh all day. Did a little showing (hunters) on the very local level as a teen, then got into racing for the next 12 years (whoops, giving away my age). Got my present horse, 9 y.o. TB off the track when i hung up my exercise saddle for the last time (to date). I do the Adult Amateurs with him, and am a TRUE amateur in that I only ride about 4 times a week and work full time as a PI. I have been all over the Eastern US and Kentucky working with some of the most wonderfully generous race horses in the country. Glad to have gotten out of Saratoga without a visit to the jail or emergency room.

This reminds me of when I went in the hospital to have my last baby and I felt like I was everyone else's mother.

I've got kids older than all of you and grandchildren as old as most of you. So I won't tell you my age.

I was in love with horses all my life and bought the first barn because there was no one who would teach the pure love of the sport to my kids. Brought down from Canada my old riding instructor a very rare man by the name of Roger Vigneau.

He and Sullivan Davis, along with some really special people like Max Palmer, you may have heard of, Les Haigh from the British Cavalry, Otto Burneleit was an old Prussian Cavalryman who rode with Lawrence of Arabia (probably a mercenary)They were all determined that I should learn properly and subjected me to all the classic debates. During my 5 years at Suburban I was exposed to every school of riding and every discipline. These gentlemen made it all into one beautiful joy of the horse.