The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Forward Flap

Can somebody tell me the reason you would need a forward flap on a saddle? Is it mainly for someone with a longer leg from hip to knee? Or are there other reasons?

I like to ride with a little bit of a too-short stirrup, so I have a slightly forward flap. Pony kids, too, sometimes jack up their stirrups to look smaller.

But normally it's for someone who has unusual personal geometry

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    But normally it's for someone who has unusual personal geometry
    That's me! For my height, I am unusually long from hip to knee, yet short from knee to ankle. A forward flap makes me look a little less ridiculous.

That's kind of where I'm at. I am 5'5" & my trainer is 5'8" but my legs are as long as hers.

That's me, too - and I could only really go up half a seat size before it started looking like I was swimming in my saddle and my balance was affected. I just got a forward flap Childeric and it's amazing how much my riding has changed now that my leg can fit normally!

I was in a 16.5 regular flap (way too small) My new trainer put me in an 18 forward flap & it's much better. My new saddle is a County Conquest FF & I love it!! I

Just like everyone else said, it's for people who are unusually long from hip to knee and also good if you ride with shorter stirrups. I'm 5'8 and my horse is a hair under 15.3 and I have really long legs so I have to have a very forward flap.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Same here:
    long from hip to knee and short from knee to ankle. CWD semi-deep seat HJ forward flap puts me where I need to be. It's really not a huge difference from their other flap, but makes a huge difference in the way I sit and use my leg.

Long from Hip to Knee here, and at only 5'4 I needed the most forward flap Antares makes. However, now my stirrup bar is bit more forward than I like. I know others stated they've put martingale rings and other things on their bars to bring the leathers back a bit. Just wondering how to go about doing something like that?

I'm 5'5 and don't feel like I have a particularly long leg compared to everyone else, but I did need a more forward flap on my Black Country saddle. My saddle fitter even suggested I get a slightly longer flap too. I hate the feeling of my knee coming off the front of the flap which is an issue in other saddles.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I have long femurs and like my stirrups relatively short for jumping so I need a forward flap or it looks ridiculous!

DS - i've used the rein stops for a running martingale and cut off the points. Pull your leathers off and slide the stop onto the stirrup bar, then put your leathers back on.

It moves your leathers back a small amount but sometimes it makes all the difference.

My 3AA flap Antares has the stirrup bars in the right position for both long stirrup flat work and shorter stirrup jumping - it's a good thing to ask about when you buy a saddle with a forward flap.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders