The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tb goes team penning...

A few weeks ago I took advantage of a clinic planned by the riding club I belong to. It was for team penning. I made my friend go who is always nervous if her horse sees cows on a trail ride. We had a great time. Here are a couple of pictures.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/7293686384/ I'm in the purple shirt.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simbalism/7293686006/ The pony belonged to the trainer's granddaughter. My friend's mare was actually more worried about the pony than the cows...hehe.

That's so cool!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Too funny !

My horse is terrified of ittybitty ponies - but cows are okay !

I did (not very well LOL) some team penning with my mare years ago - at first she was petrified, but then when she realized that the cows RUN AWAY the light bulb went on and everything was good ! Well, until a cow stopped and turned and faced her ... then they were evil monsters again!

I stopped penning when she started to bite the cows if they weren't running fast enough for her liking.

YAY! Dad was at that clinic too, but I don't think he rode that day.

I know where that is!! I was out there a few weeks ago sans horse to watch my Dada ride a trainer friend's Morgan and trainer friend take another friend's mare for her first time penning. We had so much fun. Another trainer friend, the one who I apprenticed to, she used to take her Swedish Warmblood team penning. I can't wait to have a truck to haul a horse down there and participate!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

My $300 OTTB mare had been started in a feedlot, so she was comfortable around cattle, seemed to have plenty of "cow". You could open gates off her. She was lousy at racing. Probably from following other quadrupeds around all day. She got used to being at the tail end of any bunch.

Hd a Arab who definitely had "cow". None of the cowboys at the ranch liked him, though. Big trot, big attitude. We got along fine, though. Mystified the guys!

My Hannoverian loves following cattle around. One of these days I think we have to try team penning.

years and years ago (about 25yrs) I would team pen with my big warmblood in my english saddle and get laughed at by all the Q-horse western riders. The biggest problem I had was my horse licking, that's right LICKING the cows instead of 'pushing' them and the indoor was just a bit too short, he was reach the other end in what felt like 3 strides. We always had a blast and usually won the 'loser's pot'.

To the poster that say, they stopped when the horse started to bite the cows; that is what all the team penners what, a horse that gets the cows going. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    To the poster that say, they stopped when the horse started to bite the cows; that is what all the team penners what, a horse that gets the cows going. lol
    Actually that can be grounds for disqualification.

10. Roughing includes, but not limited to, unnecessary or aggressive contact, running over cattle with horses, stepping on cattle while in pursuit, running through the herd in such a manner that the cattle are knocked down, horses consistently biting the cattle and entering the pen with such force on the cattle causing them to collide with the back pen panels (see also page 25 inhumane treatment). A Judge‟s call for "roughing" will result in immediate disqualification of the team. USTPA.

Yep, we got DQd quite a few times ... I wasn't competitive but they were starting to get mad about my horse constantly trying to bite the cows. So NBD ... :-)

thanks! Learn something new every day.

My local team penning was more just about fun. They all laughed when the horses would go after the cow.