The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does it get easier to lose a horse?

Shamelessly looking for sympathy here. I'm in a different country, but just got the news that the horse I sold before moving broke his leg in the paddock and had to be euthanized. And I have no horsey friends around who really 'get' it, although my friends try. I can't handle it.

I knew him since he was a yearling, he was given to me by a good friend when he came off the track at 3, I schooled him up to competing at 1m and then had to sell him just before he turned 6. He was a clown, a character every second. He was a puppy in a bay horse's body. His start in life is a story in itself - a mangy little yearling with amazing breeding for jumping, and my friend swapped a saddle for him. He gave me a chance to compete again. And more importantly, everyone who came across him loved him for his antics.

RIP my dear Charlie. It's just not fair.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7243166_n.jpg

I'm sorry Selene... big hugs. What a beautiful boy.

Default I hope so...

I lost the first foal I've ever bred 2 wks ago and I certainly hope it gets easier. Read a quote "grief, like it's opposite - joy, is often isolating and inexpressible" so take your time and grieve and know that someday joy comes back. Your boy was a beaut and I can see the character you speak of written all over his face !

Aww, Charlie was beautiful. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I don't think it gets easier at the time of the loss. We lost one 3 years ago, and then our beloved TWH passed away very suddenly 3 weeks ago. It hurt just as much.

It seems like horse people are the only ones that really understand.

Time does ease the pain, though.

<<Hugs>>

Default I'm so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Shamelessly looking for sympathy here. I'm in a different country, but just got the news that the horse I sold before moving broke his leg in the paddock and had to be euthanized. And I have no horsey friends around who really 'get' it, although my friends try. I can't handle it.

I knew him since he was a yearling, he was given to me by a good friend when he came off the track at 3, I schooled him up to competing at 1m and then had to sell him just before he turned 6. He was a clown, a character every second. He was a puppy in a bay horse's body. His start in life is a story in itself - a mangy little yearling with amazing breeding for jumping, and my friend swapped a saddle for him. He gave me a chance to compete again. And more importantly, everyone who came across him loved him for his antics.

RIP my dear Charlie. It's just not fair.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7243166_n.jpg
    I've lost several over the years, never easy. He's running in green pastures. You will see him again. Hugs. BTW, no certain country required to love your horse. More hugs!

I am so sorry for you, he was lovely. It gets easier after the passage of time, but each one you lose have touched your heart in some way, and it is hard to lose them. Big hugs from NC.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

It doesn't get easier, but eventually you'll be able to think of him and smile, remembering the good times, instead of crying. My condolences on your loss. He had a gorgeous head!

I'm so very sorry.

Thanks for the sympathy. Somehow it helps just to unload on people who get it.
    I said farewell to my heart horse last year before my move too, and it's just crappy. It's been a year of such loss for me, it has to be coming to the end now. My luck has to change sometime. I'm just telling myself that for now.

I am so sorry for your loss, I am always sad when our barn has to say good-bye to any horse, I have my favorites but I am always sad.

I don't think it gets easier, but I think I want to be closer and kinder to my horses the older I get.

It doesn't get easier. Helped my friend put down her 28 year old horse (that was my horse's companion) today. It was the right decision, but I'm still crying 5 hours later. And my gelding is breaking my heart with his grief. He wasn't even mine and I'm struggling.

What a gorgeous boy.....Godspeed and hugs, lots of them, to you!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

I guess I'm glad it doesn't get easier, if that would mean that we love them any less. It's what makes us human.
    I'm going to get a photo of him printed on canvas for my flat.
    Thank you all.

Oh, I'm sorry - I know what it's like to be far away, to have given up so much to do so, and not have that someone nearby that "gets it". One of the toughest things about being there. And it's out of your hands, which makes it that much worse. Having my own crappy week for several absurd reasons, but I kept repeating to myself recently TG for the horse being fine at least.

Here's hoping things will turn around. The picture idea sounds like a plan, but it still hurts, I know. He truly was beautiful. Sending thoughts your way.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes