The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Snowbird, it is good to know that we have a representative who is as passionate about this issue as we are. Good luck, and congratulations on having the strength, desire, and motivation to go through with an attempt at change rather than just shaking your head and turning the other way.

One of those city that are big towns, real big!,San Antonio TX

Hi guys Im back. Well Snowbird seams like you have a very powerfull feeling on this issue. Im in the process of writing the AHSA a long letter. As soon as I get it done I will let you all read. Remind you all I didn't keep it plain and simple. Its a heart felt letter. I am pleased to see how many people have come out of the closet weather or not they posted. I have recieved some very disterbing letter and I am proud of each and everyone who wrote me to tell me about them selves. YOu all make me proud and It makes me feel so sad and at the same time good because they have reached out. We all might be family here but for many you have never seen my face yet you look to me as a friend. This is not the end of me. Its only the begining. But in order for something to be done with power I need help of everyone weather they are recovering or just begining the road. Majical I know it is hard on you but please take the time to write me cause I need your help. Your guisance to speek. I need someone to be my eyes. I know it feels aquard but pleas help me. Its a hard road and without people like you we will never be able to get the full attention.

I would like to update you on what else is going on. I am working with erin and we will be getting something together for an issue. You can only go so far. It takes time but when you all read my story you will be able to know who it is and feel good that people are reading. I hope that we can start a posative fad. I was on the phone today with an old friend and informed them of these threads. I then about an hour and a half later got a call back and their first words were WoW Its about time something became of this and now we need to work together to make this real. I know it is hard to get people to talk but an idea i have is posably to do a websight. Ok now let me tell you what I would like to see and maby we can work together and make it happen. What about a sight where people anonomously can recieve help. Open to the rideing comunity. Go to something fishy and take a look but revolve it aroung the rideing industry. Any one got some good ideas fill me in.

Ok above i was reading I think on the second thread about this problem being exclusive to the H/J/EQ areas. I hate to tell you but you are teribly wrong. its not just these areas. It affect all of them English western all of them. Do you know how many anorexic girls are in the saddleseat and western world? alot!!!! I have heard people in the barenraceing world say she would have had a faster round if she was 5lbs lighter or in the saddleseat world. The hose would have more lift if a little lighter. So its not exclseive its just more hissen then we seam to see. this just shows us our ignorence. We see it from time to time but we ignore it. Come on people lets get a hold of this and take it into our own hands and do something.
    I don't like it any more than anyof you but instead of talking lets plan something and do it. We start somewhere and go from there. We have erin on our side and I know the Chronicle is going to make the first moove. But what about the other magazines. A letter to Practicle horseman, Jump, yanky peadler, Online magazines we have the power we just need to start at one place. I can only do so much. If we each take one of our stories and send them to each magazine it will be sean and read. I have more than enough help with my half of the cronicle segment now we need to find a group for each magazine that is popular and fourm a group of 4 each to work with each magazine we can think of. Now lets start doing something. Please email me and we can get better organized.

Ok enough preaching but lets think with our minds and get organized. LETS DO IT!!!

Charlotte
    \"I\'m going to go see a horse about a man\" - Unknown

Well I have finally decided to add to this thread after thinking about it for a long time. I am one of those short, pudgy pony riders you see, and while it doesn't seem to hurt me at all in the pony hunters for ribbons, a few times I have been passed up for WIHS or AHSA pony eq ribbons for those leggy kids (heheh sorry about that) who are thinner than me. But it hasn't bothered me at all until recently. While right now I have a children's hunter, he is not capable of the 3'6 (he's one of those oldie but goodie packers, yes I admit) and so my trainer and I have been searching for a horse to take me to the bigger stuff. Recently I have tried out three different very expensive, very nice hunters, two of which have qualified and competed in Indoors before and one of which has taken many championships this year in the first year greens. While none of these horses were the right horse for me, one of the trainers (watching me try out his very pricey junior hunter) said to my trainer "She would look perfect on this small junior, if only she lost 15 pounds!" I felt sooo bad as I got off that horse! I show and compete my large pony, jogging at some of the best shows under the best judges! Why did this trainer think that I looked wrong on his 15.3 hand horse, if I can ride my 14.2 h pony successfully! My trainer didn't realize I heard that well-known trainer's comments or at least she hasn't mentioned anything to me about it yet. But it has definitely made an impact! I realize now that most of the other pony kids I ride against are thinner and leggier and whereas before I didn't question the pinnings of a class and the weights of riders in it, I started to wonder last weekend, does their weight make a slight difference in the judge's opinon? If there was a close tie, let's say two riders with scores 80 and 80, and a judge had to decide who to pin first, would he pin the thinner rider? While it bothered me, I wasn't losing sleep over it until I heard another famous trainer saying to my trainer that I should definitely try his almost 17 hand warmblood who was having a great winning year so far because "it would make her look right, very correct and thin". Correct = thin?? I have always been pudgy, from the time I rode my small pony at Devon. So why now do I feel so bad for it! AAAH! I know when I go this year I will be paying more attention to the whole weight issue, and like Cozmo said, it does make a difference! I have gone on a diet....

Oh ponykid - I am sooo sorry that this happened to you. Please try to realize that adults can be ignorant and cruel. I ENCOURAGE you to talk to your parents and your trainer about what is happening. Explain to them, just as you have explained to us how much this experience has affected you. If you don't feel you can talk to them, how about a counselor at school or a favorite teacher (if there is such a thing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

If this EVER happens to you again I encourage you to screw up every ounce of courage you have and reply in the most respectful tone you can muster "I'm sorry you feel I don't fit your lovely horse, I like myself just the way I am." Please let these people know it is not at all acceptable to treat you this way. Good Luck!

And, PonyKid, email me or CTT directly for moral support whenever you need it! (Hey, have I got a horse for you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Hi there Ponykid,
    Let me tell you something, I don't even know how many teenagers we have sent happy into adulthood. Generations of them over some 30 years.

There is a short view and a long view of life. In the short view, today is the most important thing and you as a youngster are very much with today. Winning is where it is in only the short view.

Now, there's the long view. I have seen so many who were so wrapped up in appearances that they jeopardized their lives. And, then later they had lost themselves and became just another face in the crowd.

In the long view many of those who were not the most successful, and some who were 2nd forever wound up with great lives and a very big success for themselves, and yes! healthy happy children. That happened because they just said "Hey! World! I'm me and I like what I see looking back in the mirror."

We all have something that we'd like to fix, to alter or correct but with maturity you learn that is what makes you an individual. What makes you stand out as a special person in a crowd!

Where are those people who are just a copy of an image going to find themselves. Many at 40 are still out there looking and lost.

As to the sales pitch, and that's all that it is. The horse probably didn't go as well as it might have and so the "salesman" blamed you instead of the limitations of his horse. And, the other had a moose to sell so that was his pitch. Neither of them know you, care about you or your dreams. They just have a horse to sell. Tomorrow you will be out of their world when they get the check and they will look like a hero to the owner. A salesman is someone who if you spit in their eye, says thank you! my eye was really dry!

Keep your chin up and you be you! Be proud that is the real difference between 1st and 6th. When a person is sitting on a million dollar horse, being trained by the top trainer decked out in all custom apparel and tack what happens is "pride".

The kid on the "good find" horse without a record, in ready made becomes awed and the shoulders droop, they eyes go down and the focus slips. I know because that's what we have. BUT! if you ride proud and remember that you got there and you're being looked at, and you haven't made any mistakes then in the long view it will work for you. Winning comes from the inside-out not the other way. It's heart, focus and discipline that will beat the skinny any day.

That broke my heart. Personaly just brush the coment off but do talk about it. Your trainer does nead to know that you heard the coment. Just don't think of looseing weight to live in their rhelm. Im here any time you nead to talk. Remember I have been there too. I know what its like and I know the pain mentaly and physacly. Its not pleasent. I am here for you any time. Hey Weatherford you promised me your horse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] PLEASE!!! J/k I can calm down and think of it as another day. Anyways I am here for anyone who neads to talk. I was talking to some good friends of mine about all of this. Most of them have known me since I started college. It was strange cause one of them said that for the longest time I looked skiny. When they realized I was aware that I was they did everything to get me to gain. so even back when I weightd 120 people still thought I looked too skiny. Now to them Im a skelaton. But I like haveing my milkshakes everyday now. MMMMM best way to put on weight. Some ice cream and carnation insent breakfest with some chocolet serup.... Now im hungry well go to run and make one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

CTT, You are AWESOME.
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Im just a trip. LOL I half to have a laugh. Oh I went down stairs and took a look on the scale yay Im 107 now yppe! just 13 or so lbs to go. Anyone have some real healthy yet fatening ideas for snackfoods. I always love to try something new.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CTT:
    Im just a trip. LOL I half to have a laugh. Oh I went down stairs and took a look on the scale yay Im 107 now yppe! just 13 or so lbs to go. Anyone have some real healthy yet fatening ideas for snackfoods. I always love to try something new. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ctt-
    My personal favs are pretty healthy - not sure how fattening though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I am a die hard fan of popcorn (light salt - no butter - soooo good - a snack food but much healthier then most chips) and goldfish (especially the chedder and pretzel kinds.....

and yes- you are brilliant - and I owe you an email (my email has been *ahem* not behaving!)

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

Bannanas are good! Jello might not help with weight but it helps keep your bones healthy, I know that bone deterioration can be a factor with eating disorders, Also, try smoothies with protein powder, and oh yes, expensive but fattening and at the same time delicious, macadamia nuts! Just try to eat as much as you can as many times as you can, eating more small meals is really healthy for you. I try and always have something to eat, usually healthy but with a twist of something weight gaining like Protein powder! Also, rice and potatoes are good for helping pack on the pounds. It's a good thing to gain proper weight by eating right, because it does not shock your body and you don't have cholesterol problems and the like! If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

Don't feel bad sarah I can send but my server won't let me get mail at the moment so guess Ill salf to wait till tomarow. UGH I love smoothies. YUM makeing me hungry sgain and I have had enough food. Im trying to stay calm after seeing that joke. Yes I hope it is delited. I just lost respect for her. Well got to run need my sleep for my long day tomarow. Sailing ugh too stress ful. but hey Ill be getting my exercise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

CTT - don't worry, I have <help!!!> three horses at the moment - enough for all of us!

Meanwhile, go for that milkshake, & a bagel with butter & creamcheese, & peanut butter with ANYTHING - including wheat fats - I mean wheat thins....apples & cheese (or pb) if you are feeling the need to be healthy as well....
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Weatherford you know you could always send one of them my way. nothing better than summer all year round. Just giveing you a hard time.

PONYKID PLEASE copy the pages listed here and talk to yur mom about this issue. You need to make the right choices for the right reasons. You should make the adults in your life aware of how you heard their comments and how they make you feel. You sound like a VERY mature young woman, show your maturity further and get the correct help. You have read all the horror stories here. We are on you side. We want you to look for the correct help. Your parents MUST be part of it.

I think it would be good for all of us to get together and actualy talk more. any ideas. I have ICQ and if others have it then we can chat more. If you are interested in haveing some discussions email me if you want but all you nead to do is go to ICQ.com and download it. Once you have it you can email me for my info. lets have a real live talk ok. I realy encurage it.

Ponykid, pony kids should look the way you describe yourself! Most kids have "baby fat", its normal and is an issue that will resolve itself. Your body needs that protective layer to develop properly. As you mature through your teens that layer will disappear. There is no excuse for people making those comments about your current body shape. You're obviously a young teen, or even pre-teen if you're showing a pony, and that is much too young to start depriving your body of nutrients to fit into an ideal. I strongly encourage you to talk to your trainer and your parents, and NOT to do business with the trainers who made such remarks. Buy a horse from someone else- there are good people in this business and one of them must have a suitable mount for you! The worst thing we can do is condone this prevailing attitude that a woman's worth is directly proportional to her weight by putting our dollars in the pockets of those who encourage this philoshophy.

Just moving this important thread to the front page.

I agree this is too important to slide to the back page.

Amen, Slugger!