The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    One of those city that are big towns, real big!,San Antonio TX

I find that this is a very important topic to be talking about. Because of the lenghth of the other one I find it important to keep this thread going. I recomend reading the 3rd page of that thread cause I finaly realized its time for us to talk about it on the personal leval. I don't exspect people to tell their story like i did but what is neaded is to find a way to help educate people on what happend when we look to much at the image factor. We need to reach out to people of our industry and let the people know that this needs to stop. I hope people can find it in themselvs and share how all of this has affected you. I know some have already stated but what is needed is for us to get together to stop this and to premote the health and not the image. Ok Ill stop sory but this is a very special topic for me and im tired of waching talented riders thinking they are fat. Its not right.

Other weight threads are:
    Weight IV LetÂ’s Act - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001738.html
    Weight I - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001146.html
    Weight II - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001206.html
    Weight III - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001245.html
    Weight Essay - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001457.html

[This message has been edited by Weatherford (edited 06-02-2000).]
    \"I\'m going to go see a horse about a man\" - Unknown

I find that this is a very important topic to be talking about. Because of the lenghth of the other one I find it important to keep this thread going. I recomend reading the 3rd page of that thread cause I finaly realized its time for us to talk about it on the personal leval. I don't exspect people to tell their story like i did but what is neaded is to find a way to help educate people on what happend when we look to much at the image factor. We need to reach out to people of our industry and let the people know that this needs to stop. I hope people can find it in themselvs and share how all of this has affected you. I know some have already stated but what is needed is for us to get together to stop this and to premote the health and not the image. Ok Ill stop sory but this is a very special topic for me and im tired of waching talented riders thinking they are fat. Its not right.

Other weight threads are:
    Weight IV LetÂ’s Act - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001738.html
    Weight I - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001146.html
    Weight II - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001206.html
    Weight III - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001245.html
    Weight Essay - http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001457.html

[This message has been edited by Weatherford (edited 06-02-2000).]

I agree, CTT. I know that the Chronicle is thinking about an article on drugs and alcohol for its Junior/Pony Issue; I think that that "body image" is an equally important issue that should be addressed as well. Perhaps we could all contribute something; the previous thread has proven that we all have something to say on the issue!
    I think Erin said she was going away for the weekend (a well-deserved break I'm sure!) but maybe when she comes back we can have a discussion of sorts about including our concerns in a future issue of the Chronicle.

Diamond111 Guest

I ride on the A-3, 2, whatever it is now, circuit with one of the top trainers in the country. I show in the big eq, junior hunters, and junior jumpers. I don't consider myself to be overweight...I'm 5'8", 135, size 6. During Florida I was down to a size 4 just from walking so much, sweating so much and exercising so much. I ate more than I usually do, but I burned it all off everyday between riding, running, and everything else. I've been home for almost three weeks now and I have gone right back up to my size 6. That's what I was before FL but now I feel fat because I have been a 4 for the past three months. When I tried to put on my jeans from Florida exactly a week ago today and couldn't get them on I had a breakdown. I didn't realize how much my weight meant to me. I immediately drove to the store and bought the diet pills most of the juniors at my barn take and totally cut down on how much I eat. What hurt the most was the other night when my father mentioned that I had gained weight since I came home from Florida. Since then, I have managed to cut back to just a small dinner a day, and have totally cut out all the other meals, replacing them with diet pills and a lot of water. I don't know, maybe it's the wrong thing to do, but if my father had noticed enough to say something, I'm sure my trainer isn't far behind. I know that if I let myself get fat enough that he/she said something to me I would never be able to live with myself. It's been a week since I've started the pills and 4 days on my diet, and I've lost about 7-8 pounds. Hopefully by the next big horse show and especially for Devon I'll be back down to a 4. I don't necessarily think I'm doing the right thing but if it makes me, my trainer, my parents, and the judges happy, then I will do whatever it takes.

Diamond first thing to look at is how did you feel about yourself before you went to florida. You probubly felt good right? Only after this change you saw yourself as fat. What you need to look at is how this is afecting you internaly. I am a big hater of diet pills. If you want to be that 4 again quit starveing yourself its in no way healthy. Im sure in your toun they have a weight gym that you can go to. you said with runing and everything it helped you loose weight. Don't do what you think everyone wants from you. Do what you want. Im going to say this again its your body not someone elses. Your first objective is not to aim for quick dieting. Try going to the gym atleast 2 times a week and whan your not there try a nice light jog. I bet you have a bike somewhere in that garage. If you are like me and hate joging subsadize it with bikeing. The objectiwe is to motavate you motabalism to burn. Your not going to do that if you starve yourself. Actualy when you do that you are stalling it so that it takes longer to burn what is in your system. Along with the daily exercise ride. Don't do either or cause doing diffrent exrercises cause you to burn in diffrent ways. Another thing is to go to a newtrisionist. I can't stress them hard enough. They can help you develope a good healthy diet so that you get what you needin order for your system to properly work. If you ever need someone to talk to don't be shy you can e-mail me trippe@earthlink.net. That goes for anyone else who wants to talk on a more personal leval or is just too skaired to say it publicly. Im not a biest person and actualy ask the ones who know me. im pritty easy to relate to.

I talked to my trainer about what I overheard adn she apologized adn said that I was too skinny. But, I still feel fat! I've been taking diet pills also, adn I started on water pills- which make you pee out all of your water weight. I talked to another trainer and she said it would be a good idea if I lost weight for Devon.

Diamond,

Go back to page three of the first thread and read CTT's post!! You are not eating enough food to sustain your system let alone your activity level. And, speaking from experience, any weight you starve off with such a restrictive diet will come back quickly because it will be mostly water weight and wasted muscle mass. If you feel you MUST be a size 4, please at least consider getting there more slowly and not being a calorie counter/crash dieter jeapordizing your health. I just don't think a size 6 is big!

Parents can be really harsh about weight--mine were. In fact, my mother had me going to the Diet Center at age 9, that's right, 9 because she thought I should be really slim at that age. Looking back I realize that that is when my battles with food began. As a nine year old I already had a whole list of forbidden foods and I developed a very unhealthy relationship with food.

Diamond, please heed CTT's cautionary tale...

I just read CTT's reply to you, Diamond, and I must defer to her! She said it in a much more graceful way than I did. I am rooting for you!

[This message has been edited by CWP (edited 04-07-2000).]

Cozmo read my post to Diamond and apy it to yourself. Again remember its your body. I take it you are young. Im not to far ahead of you, yet I have had some more experience. Doing un healthy things to your body will leave an afect on you for when you get older. If you take proper care of yourself with the right foods viatamins and proper exercise other than rideiny you will see a better person yet find that you have more energie and look grate. When you get rid of excess fat that seams not to be important you end up haveing less nutrision for your muscles to grow. Your main concern should not be loosing it it should be developeing it into other forms. Your main concern should be takeing the corect vitamins that your body needs, Calcium, Magneasum, Iorn Vitamin B12, Bata caroteens, ect. Don't use the stuff along the lines of centrum get each pill in a diffremt bottle so you can take what is neaded. I hate to bring this up but for us feamales doing stuff like this afects one thing that we get once a month. Its called our period. Ok guys laugh at me but for the females when you starve yourself you are also hurting yourself when it comes to this time of month. Your major concern should be to make sure you are eating well and takeing the proper witamins so that when this time roles aroung you have the sustained energy to function. Remember your blood contains many vitamins and especialy iorn. At this time you loose your vitamins so you need to replenis them faster this is doen by adjusting your vitamins. I could go on about more of the problems you do to your body by doing this but Ill wait till my next post to add.

For thoes of you that want to see what eating disorders are and affects i recomend you to take a look at these sights
    http://www.something-fishy.org/
    for thoes of you that don't see the problems with what you do take a look at this page from the Something Fishy sight. Each candle is in the momorie of someone and a story to go with it http://www.something-fishy.org/memorial.htm
    Scroll down and look for a girl by the name of Debroah simone fradin. Read this please! http://www.anred.com/ http://www.concernedcounseling.com/e...dersindex.html http://www.eating-disorders.com/ http://www.edap.org/
    Take a look at them and read the personal stories in each of them. Sory to skare you all but I find these sights to be important.

michellek Guest

Hi! I have been reading this board for a while, and have really hesitated in posting my story, but I decided to help others now. Weight and food are definetly a very touchy subject with me, and I really hope that others dont have to experience what i did. This past year I was severly anorexic. Im about 5'4 1/2 and at my worst with this disease i weighed 85 pounds.Disgusting right??well, I was still riding and showing 5 horses on the A circut, and as bad as I looked, people either didnt even notice, or expressed that they wish they had a body like mine. This definetly didnt help in my recovery, (which by they way I am physically fully recovered, just not totally mentally)to have others admiring my emaciated body. I got so bad that I had to quit for a little bit, and doctors said I was very close to a heart attack and a pound away from the hospital. What was this all due to? Mostly trying to achieve that "ideal" eq/hunter rider body, which as I look back, I already had, at my heaviest of 110.This is very sad that people are wiling to give up their lives (literally) just to fit an image of the sport. Please if u are reading this board and having problems with your weight, get help before its too late-sorry this is so long, but I just dont want anyone else to go through the pain, torture and hell that I went through just for my body to be the way i thought it "should" be. Keep healthy, and most importantly, have fun- remeber thats what this sport is supposed to be?! thanks for your time, and good luck everyone [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

michellek Thankyou for shareing your story with us. i hope more start to share and come out of the closet on this subject. Its not something that hapens its a pysical dasise tht can take your life unless you look at options. I thankyou for your story. and I hope others folow in your foot steps. Smile and feel good to be you!

Diamond, you posted that you dropped down to a size 4 because you did so much exercising and walking and sweating, and you were eating a lot! don't starve yourself, just ADD 30-45 minutes of brisk exercise (get out of breath) to your day! If you starve yourself, your metabolism will slow down and when you start eating again, you will gain it right back. Exercise is the best way to get rid of weight. although i don't think you need to.

sand stone I don't know if you saw the other thread. Read it not once not twice but as many times as you can stand. Then go to Something fishy.com and look threw the sight. I don't expect you to read it all but if you learn anything in the process let me know. If you haven't let me know that too. This is no jokeing matter. Its real life and it can kill. I was lucky to live but the worst is fare from over. I live and wake up every day to haveing to take a pill cause I was too ignorent to know when to stop. I got lucky but what about the next girl who isn't as lucky as me. This is not a jokeing matter and I hate to be crule but I find you and your friends prioraties to be in the wrong place. I know you are thinking I have it under controll and this will never happen but gess what I said the same thing and look where it got me. By reading any of these threads have you not learned a lesson. I know I can't change you but the only way to stop this is to start with you. When you are in your late 30's early 40's ( if you make it that far) you will think back on this thread and think Why Didn't I Listen. See by that point in life your metablism will be so shot that you will retain so much and there is no way to reverse the process unless you do something now. Now I know why this is an important subject. Ok I know I was harsh but Im sory this needs too become not a topic here but a spoken topic all over.

Ok Erin this one is for you. I hope you had a nice long weekend I hope you enjoy what we have started here since I know this is along the lines of what you will be writeing about in the JR issue. I actualy have an idea that i would like you to see about posably make happen. I feel it is important to talk about these isues and posably adding a new colum to the cronicle that deals with these things. I think what would make a grat colum would be to talk about heathy eating habits, exercises, disorders in our industry and maby some personal letters from people like us that have made it a part of life. I find this to be contraversial but it neads to be discussed and WE nead to premote not eating disorders but healthy habits. So what do you think?

One of the wonderful things about our sport is the right to individualism. Be what you can be!

I am so depressed reading about all of you and the "image", that is just so wrong. Diet pills instead of food, and pounding your beautiful young bodies trying to fit a mold is very sad.

I speak from experience, I spent the first half of my life trying to gain weight and the now the last half thinking about losing weight.

Every human being has a body clock and it knows what you should weigh. It will do what it needs to do to try and make you survive. If you interfere you are gambling with your life.If you don't eat it feeds on your body fat. When there is none you die. Did you know that it is fat that makes your brain work? Without it all those little brain cells can't communicate. So you'll look right and then be a miserable rider because you can't think and have no reflexes.

1. Is a blue ribbon worth dying for?
    2. Who even remembers who won the Medal and Maclay 5 years ago?
    3. The fashion people (and I was one) will lie to you to get you to buy! 50 years ago a Size 10, was probably about what a size 2 is now. In cheap clothes it was a size 12, in expensive clothes it was a size 10, why? just to make you feel good and buy more. Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 not a 2, they lied about that too.

Who in the world decided that a skeleton looks better on a horse than a real person? What makes you listen to these stupid people who are probably nice and fat and round? How is it possible for clothes designed for women to look better hanging on a bag of bones? Who has ever convinced you that you can ride better, control a horse better or feel better if you are starved so much you are barely alive?

Stand up for yourselves, your body is a temple that should be cherished and not abused. Not one of you that I have read is even close to a weight problem. None of you sound like food addicts. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and did you ever think that maybe your father was happy to see you back to normal.

If God wanted everyone to be the same he would have skipped the whole birth thing and we would have started with clones. What a boring and uninteresting world this would be if we all looked exactly alike, and we all thought exactly alike and we did everything exactly the same. Individuality is the gift of life. Vanity is it's downfall.

Snowbird you sound like me. Im glad you responded the way you did. You braught up a good point. I thought back to when my mother was young and back in the 50's when she was a teen ager she had an 18inch waist. No jokeing. I even have the belt to prove it. I just wish More people looked at the larger picture. I hope something good comes of all of this. I realy enjoied what you had to say.
    after I read you post for the 4th time It made me realize why is it so important to them if they have no weight problem. Because it has been drilled.i find the nicest riders are the ones that are fit, built, energetic,look healthy and don't pass out from exaustion. Im sure Snowbird being such a grate trainer you don't drill people to think this junk. I like to see a healthy apearence. Im sure when this comes in to you barn it is delt with but how can the people who are not lucky to have you get this point across. Any ideas. I realy would like more of your imput

[This message has been edited by CTT (edited 04-08-2000).]

Sandstone -- that was about the scariest thing I've ever heard on any horse bulletin board, bar none.

Why are you encouraging someone to mistreat her body, when you obviously KNOW it's wrong.

Obviously what got her to a size 4, was good, honest, hard exercise. Diamond, keep doing that!

Sandstone -- don't be a lemming. Be a leader. Why don't you start a workout group with your friends? Be the fittest and strongest barn on the circuit!

You want a fit horse to ride, right? Not some emaciated thing ... the logic should follow.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

My God, Sandstone, please, please, please read these threads again. This is not looks we are talking about, it is your LIFE. Just like a young horse, you are still growing and developing. You would not do anything to risk that young horse's future, would you? Then why endanger yourself? For the sake of what a few ignorant people perceive as the "right" look, you are risking your future. J Turner is right, it is up to you to be a leader. You know better, so why not take the point position and show others what a well and fit rider really can do?
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

J. Turner & Louise You both Have a good point about being a leader. We cirtenly nead more of them. The first thing we need to do is educate these people on how to BE A LEADER! It comes with time and paitence. What were looking at as a whole picture is YES we do have an problem in our show world. The first step is to educate so that they can learn how to get to that point to be a leader. We must educate on a proper diet, Proper exercise and proper daily habits. What we are faced with here at the moment is we have people from every side, We have the adults who dream of being thin again and we have the JR's who Folow in the foot steps of others their age thinking its ok to be unhealthy skiny. What I feel is more of a problem is the children (yes the adults too) but they are takeing health risks. For many of them they are growing and with out the proper diet they are causeing alot of damage. Not enough calcium in their system can cause frail and weak bones. And what grows for them to get biger and taller? yep you guesed it BONES! I have mentioned alot of health risks from not eating, Your liver, kidnies, your monthly cycles, bones.
    I was doing a quick surf on internet and started to look for what I see as healthy. Sure there are some but I began to look at the pics and saw how small and fragile they look these days. What I feel is needed to be done is to find a way to go out there and educate people on the affects of an improper diet. what hapens to growing children when they crash diet. But how. How can we who care go out there and make it known its not OK for children to do this its not ok to be like everyone else, its not ok to risk your life? It takes more than a handfull of people to do this. I know I have said alot and Im sure by now you are sick of me saying this over and over again, but thats how you get a point accross. I realy do think Sandstone's post had alot of validaty here although we don't agree with her it is a diffrent side of the issue. If she did not write that we would not have responded like we did. What is hapening is by her and othres statemnts we are becomeing more aware of the problem and at the same time reaching down and voiceing what we think on the isue. Sandatone and her friends are not the only ones. they are just a handfull. When you have itme just look at pictures of riders out there and see what I am talking about. Im also curious what are the mens views on this. We see so much of it in females but what about the males out there. Do they folow in these foot steps? does it afect them ? or is it the female group? I encurage everyoone to put their two sence in even if they are on the oposite side.

Has anyone ever read the book "Little Girls in Little Boxes"? It's about the scathing weight issues in gymnastics and figure skating. Perhaps they should've added riding. I haven't read but exerpts, but I've heard it's incredible.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi