The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Lisa dahlink - read the message - pub outing at regionals - we had a thread referencing this a few weeks (months?) ago.

But... and here's an idea... how about a COTH outing DURING the regionals on Sunday? I see a few coolers of beer, wine and munchies, while watching some pretty decent eq trips. If we aren't tired after that, we can remove ourselves to the pub...

Thoughts, anyone?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I am the Executive Secretary of the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association. If you go to our web page www.ghja.org and email me, I will send you the list of trainers who are GHJA members. It's a good start.

I agree with Cashmere...BUT - some of the best trainers in the Atlanta area are not GHJA members for one reason or another. I know one of the best who hasn't joined in several years as a type of boycott on the quality of local shows, as they were being run years ago. She goes only to the quality A shows so it doesn't matter to her. Her customers join GHJA to be able to get points at the regular show level. I'm not trying to slam the GHJA local circuit but with the large number of A's in our area the best trainers usually go to those shows and I noticed they weren't listed in my GHJA triner's listing.

Let's all get together at the Regionals - of course, I won't be showing. I'd hate to ruin my record of not showing for 1 year. I am a great cheering section - had plenty of practice. I can taste a Black & Tan now!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

A COTH outing on Sunday at regionals sounds great... DMK, you are the wine goddess, yes? Will you give us a list of what libations to bring? My kitchen renovation from H*ll should be over by then, so I will be happy to bring munchies, wine or both...

And Lisa, for shame... we would NEVER plan a pub outing without you!!!!! Is Rachel showing at regionals?

But you raise an interesting point. There ARE, in fact, quite a number of adults in our area with similar interests, dare I say standards, and a willingness to pay for their accommodation. I am at a total loss to explain why there aren't facilities which cater to this group. S-dale comes closest for me so far, but I am not sure that I would describe the cost as "fair!" (However, as J. frequently points out, it is LESS expensive than having me back at one of the places we've been before, because of the anger therapy expense...)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Well, not to worry, irish - I won't be showing in the Regionals either [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I can't think of a better idea than for a bunch of adults to get together, drink wine and provide color commentary on a bunch of juniors who could ride circles around us, blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their backs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OK, LaurieB - ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD?????
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

My friend and I have been so unhappy boarding our horses - that she built her own barn on 150 acres. I don't mean to brag - BUT - it's wonderful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Right now we have an 8 stall barn - with 4 stalls that are to be boarders stalls. When we are 100% ready - the Georgia group is cordially invited to an open house. Horses might also be invited. If we don't hook up at the regionals - this might be an acceptable alternative.

I will be going south to show at the Atlanta Fall Classics. Perhaps LordHelpus can be pursuaded to make the trek along with the rest of the Ohio Ky. Clique. Only 7 hour drive or so. Perhaps there is a purveyor of adult beverages nearby?
    I too know somebody to stay away from in your area. My Email addy is on my profile.
    Once beat the bushes for a decent boarding barn in So. Texas. Ended up in a Saddlebred barn. Good ones as in World Champions. He did not mind my western APHA horse in there.Perhaps you ladies could locate a situation where another breed type barn just needs to fill stalls. You might find a free lance trainer to come by twice a week or something. Seriously check it out. Saddlebred, Arab, Morgan. All take good care of the stock. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

From Allergy Valley USA
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

This isn't fair! I have been a lurker/member here for over a year and a half. THEN My darling best Friend (Eqchick) has mannaged in one post to round everyone up to meet for BEER!! I am so jeolus!!

Why this is unfare:
    1) I live in FL and never see my ATlanta friends
    2)I never rarely turn down a beer adventure
    3)I have TWO threads in H/J and off course begging BB-ers to meet me in NY at HITS..NOBODY wants to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

That is it. When is this "meeting?" Maybe I can come up and really make the party happen. hahaha lol

~~Lisa~~

RolexH, there really is an easy solution to your dilemma- fly up for Regionals!!

You will probably see a ton of old friends, you can help me interview trainers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] and we can take pictures of the kids for the horse show dogs thread!

Lucassb, DMK, Irish... I can garauntee you that RolexH and I can bring some fun to the Regionals suaree. RolexH happens to be one of the best amateur judges I know (Eq and Hunter/Conf). I would consider myself more of a color commentator (What exactly do you think she was smoking when she put THAT shirt and THAT coat on when riding THAT horse?!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Sounds like fun to me! Oh, by the way:
    Lucassb- if you ever want a rock to borrow- RolexH is a good friend to have. I have already contemplated asking her to let me show it off in my first AO class (once I get the animal to match!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I hope this all works out, the rest of you need to give RolexH a lot of grief until she consents. She needs to have a girls' weekend now that she's MARRIED da, da, da, dum [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .
    Which came first, the truck or the trailer?

Sounds like you better get busy with your travel agent. We Atlantans are a relentless bunch. Hey, fair's fair... we go to FLORIDA in the winter; only reasonable that you should come see *us*... and your pal EqChick needs you!

I will offer to bring your favorite adult beverage, if that will help convince you... myself, I am partial to Newcastle Brown Ale or a nice Merlot (DMK is the queen of Merlots, tho)

I am also pretty good at the color commentary (Hey, I understand that not all of us can RIDE well, but dressing correctly is a no brainer, right??)

As far as the Rock goes, if RolexH would just consent to flash it around prominently (to reinforce that this is a common and required element of the AA world,) that would probably be fine... I have tried on a couple recently that would do *very nicely*... identified by having not only the salesperson, but also the other customers in the store, execute that sharp intake of breath...

I am thinking a nice baked brie would go well with our snacks, and of course some crab and artichoke dip for crackers... what else??
    -PaulaEdwina

LucassB am I am not too sure my favorite drink is what "normal" people drink in the day. hehehe I guess I can get a bottle of Montrachet...it would be a fitting wine for a horseshow. what's the dates?

the big rock: yes indeed it does go lovely with everything BUT Kitty Hawk you must wear gloves when you ride (especially in eq!). Darling.... we must start at square one, mustn't we? It is the diamond EARINGS that we need! Two rocks: righ ear and left ear. Just large enough to see gleaming aross a ring right at the judge.

Hmmmm... I would love to try out some trainers with you. Sit with the video camara. And of course we do need to put this COTH in order. Our Jack Russells are the most handsome, brilliant, and fabulous terrors on this board. OKay I am serriously considering this...

~~Lisa~~

JRT's huh? We may have to clear it with my corgi first! (he is the king of horse show dogs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

As for wine, I think a lovely selection of merlots and pinot noirs are in order. If the weather is a tad cool (hah!), perhaps something with more body like a zinfandel. And of course, I always keep a decent stock of chardonnay on hand (it really is a "summer" wine).

And I think I too need a crack at that rock... I'll be heading (hopefully) back into the A/Os soon, and since I am single AND compete in the (gasp) Olders, I feel dreadfully at a disadvantage without a rock in that group. Almost naked as it were. And the ear studs, while cute, can't hardly catch the eye of the person talked into polishing my boots, much less the judge.

SE Regionals are Sept 14-16, with THE Regionals on 9/16, not to start before 1 PM. Mark your calendars!!

Not to worry, I know I speak for the whole group when I assure you that *these* girls can throw convention out the window in a good cause.

Besides, I can make snacks that work with ANY desired adult beverage. Perhaps a nice Stoly and some chive & cheddar puffs?? Not to worry, we will think of something appropriate.

Love the earrings idea... of course, it is always better to have BOTH (matching, natch...)

Do let us know when you are planning to arrive and we will be sure to roll out the red carpet. Or at least dust off a spot on the rail for you...
    -PaulaEdwina

Okay guys, I will stop at this place in town that has great, *pre-prepared* (redundant?) food on the way to the show called Eatsies. ATL ladies, if you have not already descovered this wonderful place, introduce yourself!

RolexH, make the flight arrangements, mi casa es su casa. We can go earring shopping while you're here, too. I agree with you on the gloves, but I figured now that I'm in the Adults, they were no longer expected! Geese- from the classes I've seen if I show up in a hunt coat, I was ahead of the game! Oh, well- an excuse to buy some honker earrings now (I couldn't find an excuse to buy the ring for myself, but the earrings, we can justify that one with ribbons, easy).
    Which came first, the truck or the trailer?

I'm famous in horse circles for my quacamole and other ringside appropriate munchies!!

DMK: Is your corgi social? If so, Harry would love to meet him/her.

Irish is not exagerating about the farm in good ol' C'ville!!! The footing in the ring drains in 20 minutes!!

PS: When the Atlanta crowd comes visiting Irish Horse Woman's new place, we'll have to make it like a progressive dinner (progressive barn tour?)
    Y'all have to make a stop at my place as well!!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Come alive in 2005!

Charis - maybe we can convince Julie Montgomery to make an appearance and add her onto the barn tour list.Maybe we can make the trek over to the regionals together - since we are both on the other side of the world? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

OK, my trailer is hitched up and ready to make a tour of the various rings... uh, and their barns [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But we know NO barn evaluation could be truly complete unless we let Robbie test his tootsies [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] He's sort of like Norm on Cheers, when he got the job as a Beer Taster - he's almost TOO good for the job! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

yes, Charis, Casey is very social - loves kids, mud, other dogs, mud, adults, my scooter, mud, golfcarts, and did I mention mud?

DMK-- One of Rolex's first friends was a corgi. Mr. Rolex loves everybody. EqChick has Emma, she is his daughter. Too cute for words! She kind of looks like a squirrel though. Shhh don't tell her owner; she is a little obsessed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I am marking my calender. I really think I will join the crew in Hotlanta. This shall be an event that the COTH will not forget. AT least not unless all memories are a little too cloudy due to some great Margeritas.

LucassB- you have got this hor'derve thing down pat! Some Vodka; some olives; and cheese! Just what my hips need. If the vodka is a little too much then I will go for a cold Corona after all it is the "summer beer". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You can tell that I am focusing WAY too much on the consumption of fine liquids. But hell, why not: you then will meet Lisa (rolexH) at her finest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Eqchick- yes you have made a point. Of course some of the "shows" we have been hanging out at have been pretty frightening. The bar has been raised. The votes are in: gloves are a yes; and HUGE Diamond Stud earings are the new "want". Does Mr. RolexH know this yet? No, but he will love my new "have-to-have". And for you: Stud earings are not the only 'stud' I expect to see nibbling those ears... (attorney? hottie? real estate babe? JD haha?)

~~Lisa~~

Oh EqChick, you ARE going to be one of us!!!

Eatsie's is *wonderful* and of course conveniently located next to Maier and Berkele (though now they call it Mayor's Jewelry, I believe.) They have a very reasonable selection of sparklies. I was disappointed to find, however, that they don't have (and can't seem to obtain) the cushion cut I *really* want.

<sigh> I know it is an old-fashioned cut, but I WANT one!!!!

DMK, I found a very nice Pinot Noir at Harry's the other day. Shall I bring some for us to try?
    -PaulaEdwina