The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

I hate to bring this up again, I know a lot of people ask this, but...

I am finally living in Atlanta and loving it. New house, new job, new people to date [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , but I haven't had time to get into the hunter-scene yet. So, now I'm on a mission. I would like to find a barn I can at least begin to get back into riding at. I don't have the time to show regularly right now (traveling, locals are okay), so I want to get back on a horse and start learning the Atlanta scene. Then I'll make a decision about who I want to stick with.

Can anyone help me? I live in Midtown and work close by, so any barn that's not in Conyers or Athens should be okay. Anything inside the perimeter would be a Godsend! I know about Chastain, but I hear if you're not boarding, you can't ride there. Is that accurate? I don't own a horse, so need to find a trainer with something I can get on for a couple months, and then I'm looking to lease or possibly buy. Have to >>as always<< wait and see how work goes- forever living around the travel schedule [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .

One last thing, if any of you have specific comments about who I definitely should stay away from, please email me and let me know. Also, if there are any good shows coming up in the area you think I could meet people at, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks so much for the help!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Which came first, the truck or the trailer?

I hate to bring this up again, I know a lot of people ask this, but...

I am finally living in Atlanta and loving it. New house, new job, new people to date [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , but I haven't had time to get into the hunter-scene yet. So, now I'm on a mission. I would like to find a barn I can at least begin to get back into riding at. I don't have the time to show regularly right now (traveling, locals are okay), so I want to get back on a horse and start learning the Atlanta scene. Then I'll make a decision about who I want to stick with.

Can anyone help me? I live in Midtown and work close by, so any barn that's not in Conyers or Athens should be okay. Anything inside the perimeter would be a Godsend! I know about Chastain, but I hear if you're not boarding, you can't ride there. Is that accurate? I don't own a horse, so need to find a trainer with something I can get on for a couple months, and then I'm looking to lease or possibly buy. Have to >>as always<< wait and see how work goes- forever living around the travel schedule [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] .

One last thing, if any of you have specific comments about who I definitely should stay away from, please email me and let me know. Also, if there are any good shows coming up in the area you think I could meet people at, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks so much for the help!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Need your e-mail address!!!
    Come alive in 2005!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have been in Atlanta now for about 8 years and would be happy to try to help.

Email me if you'd like more info.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Susan
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I can add my 2 cents too if you give your e-mail.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Whew... glad you guys got that taken care of! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] We wouldn't want to have to rely on MY knowledge of local riding/barns, would we? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Gee, Irish Horse Woman!! Your 2 cents and my 2 cents would nearly make a nickel! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    LOL
    Come alive in 2005!

DMK- between you, me and Lisa - we can write a book of where to go BUT more importantly- where NOT to go!!! Sorry - I forgot about Lucassb - she could put the finishing touches on the saga!!

Charis - if we can only convince people to look alittle further north - HAVE WE GOT A PLACE FOR THEM!!!!

For those of you responding, thank you so much. Any information you might have would be a huge help. Like I said, too, if you know about a show around here coming up that I could see some trainers in action, that would be great. Or if you guys will be participating, I can start networking with COTH BBrs in Atlanta!

Please email me at kittmurphy@hotmail.com The reason I ask for no abuse is, I don't want to get 500 junk emails from posting my address. Any helpful advice and/or contacts would be greatly appreciated!

And DMK, go ahead and send a book, I'm the type that would feel more comfortable the more information I have. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

Thanks again for your time!

Don't you think we should warn EqChick about how boarding-challenged we are... I mean, we ARE a picky group!!

So, EqChick, be forewarned. We are pretty much all the type that like our horses to be fed on schedule, top of the line grain/hay, lots of fluffy shavings over mats, thank you very much... and oh yes, the paddocks better have nice grass and good fencing and the ring footing... well, you get the idea!!! As far as I have been able to tell, these are NOT routine offerings at boarding facilities in this part of the world...
    -PaulaEdwina

Tell me about it! I grew up in Dunwoody and have ridden at a couple hole-in-the-wall places in Alpharetta which are long-time gated communities now, and one barn in Dunwoody that I understand to be closed now. I had a friend that used to board at Atlanta Equestrian Center (? some really generic name like that) off Lawrenceville HWY years ago, and she felt like she had to constantly be checking on her horses. That place didn't have one trainer- actually there were many. She thought since there wasn't one person trying to market the barn really well, people didn't take care of it as well as they should. I don't even know if that place is still around (this was 10+ years ago), and I don't know if that's really what I'm looking for, either.

I like places that are smaller, mostly adult clients, clean, safe, sane- of course we all know how challenging that can be! Let me know if you've got suggestions- like I said, I just want to break back into the scene- I'll decide who I want to commit to once I've gotten to know the local horse community better. I figure while I'm flexible (without animal dependants) I should try to shop and get to know people.

SE Regionals are at Chateau Elan Sept 16-17 (DMK, check me... is that right? My prize list is at home ;< )

There will be a number of trainers there, though the divisions other than the big eq are likely to be smallish... however, it would be a place to start, and we *do* make a habit of going to the Pub (conveniently located ON the horseshow grounds) afterward... I am SURE you are welcome to join us!
    -PaulaEdwina

I too would be interested in the places to go and places to avoid in Atlanta. Am trying to get my son interested in riding. My husband is a lost cause!! Please email me at matthewsmom@mindspring.com

Thanks!

In my horse-world experience, there is no better way to get the dirt on regional politics than to swap stories over a beer. I would love to see the big eqs at Chateau Elan, too- I really miss competitive equitation. (You guys probably know how inconsistent the adults can be- besides I don't have a honker wedding ring to impress the judges [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] although I bet I'll shamelessly use one when I get it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Lucassb and Irish Horse Lover, thanks for the emails. You guys have helped me out a lot. I might call you to get some other numbers, but I recognized a lot of the names you mentioned which was a relief. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I think I am going to start visiting barns this weekend. I'll post again to see if my first impressions meet with reputations- I don't want to get the wool pulled over my eyes.

In the mean time- what do you all think about the adults in this area. Is it worth going to local shows, or should one concentrate efforts (and vacation time) on A shows? Depending on what horse I end up with I'd probably be in adults- maybe hunter, maybe eq, maybe jumpers- most likely not over 3'6" unless some fantastic horse becomes available to me.

Is there just GHJA or are there other local show orgs? I really should probably just go pick a brain at the tack store, but if you guys don't mind, I consider this a more reliable source than whoever Corner Tack Store has got working on a Sat. morning.

I think there were something like 14 A shows in the Atlanta area this year. So it is possible to do quite a bit of showing at good facilities etc without having to travel too far. Conyers and Chateau Elan are both excellent facilities with quite a few good shows.

I personally am partial to Bob Bell's shows, and for local or schooling shows have found the Progressive Show Jumping weekends to be very good also. At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk, I have been extremely unimpressed with most of the GHJA events I have seen.

The adults here are pretty fun. Divisions can be large (like many places, we LOVE that 3' ring!) but generally friendly and as I mentioned we do make a habit of the pub routine.

PS... too funny about the ring. My darling SO knows "the spec" that is required ("oh THAT'S why you wear gloves with the crochet stuff on the back...so you can SEE THE ROCK!") and I will be right there with ya!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    -PaulaEdwina

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

HEY!!!! YOU guys are "boarding challenged" I'M a "boarding dropout" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I "fixed" my problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

SE Regionals are September 14-16, also there is a John Rush show at Chateau Elan the weekend before Labor Day weekend.

Oh, and lucassb... if you are sounding like a jerk about GHJA local shows, I am right there sounding like one with you. My opinion - such as it is - is if you are going to do local shows, take the time to check them out in advance of spending money, or just go to Rick's PSJ shows, and be happy...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK - I joined your group - if you want something done right - do it yourself!!! I'm loving having my own place but can't wait to get barn help.

Don't forget about Stacey Boe show at Conyers during Labor Day weekend. That would be a good place to view the local trainers since there is usually a decent turnout at the show. The problem here is that there aren't many places that have lesson strings.

Don't rub it in about the boarding challenged thing!! Don't I KNOW you got your deal fixed!! I am sooooo jealous!!!!

Guess we should plan our pub outing for regionals...

what do you say?
    -PaulaEdwina

eqchick-- Long lost BB-er!!!!
    when you find the 3'6" horse to lease make sure you get the twin brother for me! hehehe (preferably a free lease :P ) What about the numbers Rob gave you? call him. Ps/ what are you doing? are you working right now or are you loafing on the job??? I am telling!!!!!

(rolex is doing a kidney bean too)

~~Lisa~~

I've finally made it!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, everyone (DMK, Irish, Lucassb) are pretty much correct about the lack of a boarding facility having everything we want, including total freedom... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

On a tangent, seems like we have a good group of adults (well, I do have Rachel, but she doesn't count [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) who are willing to pay a fair price, are involved in the same discipline, and want the same things in a facility. Why isn't there a place for us?

As far as the local GHJA shows go, most of the adults (myself included) do both some locals and the As, as the fence height is 3' for both. There are good locals, and then there are those, ummm, unmentionables that I won't take my horse to. Unfortunately, the quality local shows are PSJ and that's it, IM(not so)HO. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Oh, and John Rush is doing locals now. His are pretty good. Forgot about that. Oh, but, at his first try at a local, there were all of seven jumps in the main hunter ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know of any barns that you'd want that have lesson horses available.

Oh, and if you want to do the eq, the locals are the place to do it. Most everybody I've found showing at the As in this zone uses the eq as a warm-up. The AHSA eq, if it is even offered, doesn't fill to my knowledge.

As DMK mentioned, John Rush has a show at Chateau the 24-26 (I'll be there), and then Stacey Boe is a local A rated show (has all the medals, including the AHSA adult medal, which never has filled (one year, I was the only one entered [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) ), and draws not only all the local people, but strictly A barns too. It is a very nice show, with lots of prize money offered, especially for the jumpers. And, it's for an excellent cause.

Lucassb is right: it is possible to have the best of both worlds with the amount of good shows right here.

On another note, so when was the pub gathering? Was I not informed?