The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default French link vs. oval lozenge

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on a French link versus an oval lozenge.

Back story: My 4 year old gelding was being fussy in his plain eggbutt snaffle. He seemed to be banging himself in the mouth, so I switched him over to a loose ring French mouth. Its what I had laying around that would fit him. The plain eggbutt snaffle is a 5.5" and was a smidge big, while the loose ring is a 5.25" and fits perfectly. He's doing better in the loose ring French mouth, but I think he's playing with it a bit much, to the point of grinding on the bit (the most horrible sound). The French mouth is also a 13mm diameter, so I think the thickness may be an issue as well.

Ideally, I'd like to get a double-jointed eggbutt snaffle in a 5.25" but that's proving to be difficult to find unless I want to spend a lot of money (which I don't). So what are the pros/cons of the French link and the oval lozenge?

weight of the mouthpiece
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

The pros and cons come down to what an individual horse prefers and goes well in. Links, lozenges and beans also vary, in metal, weight and shape.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

The mouthpiece weight actually makes some sense. My loose ring French mouth is pretty light in addition to being on the thin side. My plain eggbutt snaffle is a bit heavier and thicker (but not by much). Here's what I'm looking at, regardless of price right now.

http://cheshirehorse.com/Tranz-Angle...it-P11001.aspx
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/He...1277C3702.aspx
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/JP...4581C3702.aspx
    http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/JP...3303C3702.aspx

Any experience with any of these bits (weight, thickness, etc.)?

I use the JP model you've pictured on my Selle Francais in eggbutt cheeks as pictured. His bridoon is very similar too (losenge eggbutt 14mm) They have a more balanced weight in the mouth than a single joint would. the losenge is a bit wider than on an HS and the like. Since your horse is being fussy in the mouth, I'd give it a shot and see if it helps him create the right activity.

when I use a french link, it's usually a loose ring (lots of play/lightness to the mouth piece, lots of play in the cheek) and is for horses with DEAD mouths that need livening.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble