The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me wait for a call back

My Pom got her rabies, lyme and bordatella vaccs two hours ago and is not doing well. She is lying next to me shaking. When you make her walk she has her head low and her tail between her legs. We went to the feed store which is her favorite place in the world and she didn't want to get out of the car! She is not afraid of the vet or of getting shots so it has to be some kind of a reaction. Her temp is 102.3 I did call the vet back and am waiting for a call back. Speculations and jingles welcomed.

Take her back to the vet now.

Its a mobile vet, they came here so I obviously have no idea where they are now.

I just left another message, hopefully they call back soon. She drank a little water and peed when I took her outside but wouldn't even eat a little piece of ham when offered.

Is there another vet hospital close by? Even if you aren't a client there, they will have experience with vaccine reactions.

Ok, vet called back and had me give her benadryl and previcox. She said I should start to see improvement in about an hour. She didn't seem concerned since she isn't having any symptoms of anaphylaxis and her temp is normal. Thanks!

She seems to be perking up a bit. She went up the stairs into the bedroom on her own and wagged her tail a little on the way up when she saw me looking at her.

This is precisely why my animals are NOT over-vaccinated. Babies get their first set of shots, a booster a year later, and that's it. Rabies as needed...

how is your dog doing ?

its been a few hours now.

Hope she's doing better!!

Coming to this late, but, hoping that she is doing better now.
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

My sheltie is thunder and firework phobic. We are going away over the week of the 4th of July so we can't go with a petsitter like usual and have to board him somewhere so he doesn't injure himself. That is why the pom had to get the vaccinations. She seems pretty much back to normal except when I pick her up she yipes like she is sore everywhere. Thanks for asking about her!

See Laurie, it's all your fault for over vaccinating. Sheesh...some people. Glad to hear she's on the mend. You might want to think about spacing them out the next time.

The Bordatella is one that she has never had before or at least hasn't had since she was a pup, but the other two she has. I gave the DHLPP myself back in March with no problem so I guess is was either the Bordatella or the combo that was too much for her. Most likely she will never have to get it again since we don't ever board her usually. Poor thing, she is the brave one and she is the one paying the price for the scaredy cat!

I have used the nasal Kennel Cough vaccine and given it to my dog myself, that way you can stagger the vaccinations instead of giving everything at once.

She is begging at the dinner table so I think she is on the mend!

Oh, good! I was about to respond about Benadryl, but it seems you are in a good place now. I have to dose my youngest dog with Benadryl for a day prior to her vacs or she has a reaction, too. I keep her on the meds 'till the day after, as per my vet's advice. Keep that in mind for the next time, but talk with your vet about strategies, just in case.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Will do, thanks. She is 8, almost 9. Seems weird she would have a reaction after all this time but it is obvious she did.
    The vet told me to call her back an hour after I gave her the meds and let her know how she was. After an hour I went to check on her and couldn't find her! We went crazy searching the house. Finally found her all the way in the back of the linen closet. Scared the crap out of me all over again!

See Laurie, it's all your fault for over vaccinating. Sheesh...some people
    Sorry, Laura. Just sharing my thoughts, and you don't agree. The posting police are out tonight!

It might not have been the vaccinations themselves, but the medium they are mixed with. My dogs (this was about 8 or more years ago) would get a lump where they were vaccinated, and the vet thought it was the specific vaccine brand and what it was mixed with. She changed brands and no more lumps or reactions.

Hope she's doing fine today.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White