The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Healthy lunch ideas?

I'm doing weight watchers and need ideas for lunch. I CAN pack my lunch, but am unable to eat it at work (Receptionist, so someone has to sit at my desk during lunch and we have no other place to eat). When I pack lunch, I generally just go sit in my car and eat it.

Other than that, I try to go to harris teeter salad bar, or subway. What are some healthy going out lunch places?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I'm doing weight watchers and need ideas for lunch. I CAN pack my lunch, but am unable to eat it at work (Receptionist, so someone has to sit at my desk during lunch and we have no other place to eat). When I pack lunch, I generally just go sit in my car and eat it.

Other than that, I try to go to harris teeter salad bar, or subway. What are some healthy going out lunch places?
    You can still go to places like McDonalds or Wendy's--like any place where you can get a grilled chicken sandwich and/or a salad or maybe a baked potato (does Wendy's still have those?). Water with lemon or unsweetened (or sweetened with Splenda or other no-calorie sweetener) tea or diet soda.

There are sooo many more options for healthful eating out now than there used to be! You mainly want to avoid or strictly limit anything fried or oily or creamy. Or sugary.

Try visiting the websites of any nearby chain eateries for more information on healthful options there.

Nearly every grocery store has deli sandwiches, fruit, or options. Smoothies, yogurt, nuts, lots of choices. On facebook recently there was a healthy eating tip for packing a salad in a large jar, dressing on the bottom, stout vegies like carrots, then leafy vegies on the top. When you're ready to eat, shake the jar to distribute the dressing and you're good to go.

Wendy's even has a sweet baked Potato now. They have good salads as well.

Panera is my all time favorite..I love their Chicken Fuji Apple Salad or their Greek Salad with chicken added.

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they have a food bar...although I think it's rather pricey for what you get.

Do you have Panera? A little pricey but I think they list the calories...their salads are great. Oops same minute as Dalpal!

Another vote for Panera here. I also sometimes just pick up some pita chips and hummus for a nice light lunch.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

So you guys don't have an employee lunch room or anything? Is eating in your car, or somewhere outside your building, that bad of a thing?

It's SO EXPENSIVE to eat lunch out every single day. You can plan to make extra at dinner and pack that as your next day's lunch - that would be easy and save you money.

Also, define what you mean by "healthy" lunch. Smoothies are often made with ice cream, AND packed with sugar. That's not very healthy. Pita and hummus are not food, they are a snack. You will only find yourself being MORE hungry and much sooner.

Proteins and fats (good fats) are what keep your body satiated and keep you from getting hungry again. Sugars (even in the form of fruit) will just burn through you and leave you feeling hungry much sooner. So, opting for something like a grilled chicken breast, topped with some fresh made pico de gallo and some avocado would be better than an overpriced salad with a sugary-laden dressing poured over it. Besides - salad rarely fills you up unless it is loaded with meats, cheeses, and eggs. Do you really think it's the lettuce that's helping keep you full? Lettuce is mostly water

So rethink your definition of a healthy lunch and remember that the only way you can trust what is in the food is when you make it yourself. I'm not saying don't eat out, but don't do it every day. And DON'T EAT FAST FOOD. Blech! NOT HEALTHY.

Mexican, if you don't get something laden with cheese and sauce, is actually a pretty healthy option. And not Taco Bell mexican But if you have Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Rubios, Chevy's etc, their salads minus the dressing isn't actually too bad. Same goes for something like fajitas, although with the marinade on those there will be extra sugar.

Thai is another go to option for me. Not what some people would consider "healthy", but the main thing for me is most of their cooking is gluten free and Thai doesn't use a ton of sugar (if you stick with curries).

I'm assuming weight watchers provides the guidelines for healthy lunch.
    I'd try to pack a lunch; are there any parks nearby? if the weather is good, you could go eat, and then take a walk.
    One oft-overlooked hazard of buying ready-made meals is the portion size- it's usually, almost always, way too large. Even healthy food, if eaten in excess, will lead to weight gain.

I try to make extra at dinner and eat that for lunch. So, for example, if you make a nice roasted chick pea dish, make some brown rice to go with and pack up the left overs for lunch.

I also often make a lot of baked chicken at one go, cut them into lunch size pieces and freeze them. You can then wrap them in some lettuce, add some mango chutney and it's a nice lunch that will defrost by the time you are ready to eat.

I bring the frozen SmartOnes or Healthy Choice entrees to work for lunch. You do need access to a refrigerator and microwave though. I lost 40 lbs. on Weight Watchers almost two years ago - and have kept it off. I avoid eating out as much as possible. Those "healthy" entrees at fast food joints usually aren't very healthy at all. The only fast food I trust is Subway because I can tell them exactly what I want on my sub and how much. They also don't put on 2" of meat like most delis.

Quote Originally Posted by dropitlikeitshot View Post
    So you guys don't have an employee lunch room or anything? Is eating in your car, or somewhere outside your building, that bad of a thing?
    In my previous job, I had a whole hour for lunch. I didn't like the tiny, dreary employee lunch room so I would eat in my car and listen to an audiobook while I ate. I loved it!!!

I also like the Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, etc. frozen lunches. They are so easy and convenient and some of them are pretty good (as frozen lunches go). I have heard that some of them are high in sodium, though.

Another favorite is to go to Fresh Market or Kroger or Publix and pick up some sushi.

I have an hour for lunch, and we do have a galley style kitchen, but ZERO sitting area. I really dont mind eating alone in my truck...its nice to get out of the office and AWAY from co-workers. I've just never really packed lunch before.

I will not go to fast food places like mcdonalds or wendys. Too much temptation there! I will go to subway and panera, but always feel guilty eating bread.

I think I might try the lean cuisine type meals or the leftover dinner idea!

Personally, I don't find the frozen Lean Cusines or Smart Ones very healthy....you'd be better off packing a turkey sandwich and an apple. Then again, I stopped eating processed foods about a year ago. I don't buy those frozen packaged meals anymore.

It is totally amazing how much food you can eat for the same calories if you fix it yourself. I make a ham or turkey sandwich for under 150 calories (40 calorie Natures Own bread, one oz of meat, wet vegies instead of loading up the mayo. Miracle whip is only 20 calories per half TBSP. Mustard is zero. Sweet pickles on the ham is also zero, if you find the right ones.

add to that a cup of strawberries, a cucumber vinegar salad, a cup of vegetables like broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots. Well under a 250 calorie lunch. That is a LOT of food. You can't get even 1/4 of that going out for the same calories.

If I need to eat out, I head for Wegman's. They have calories listed on their food bar, with lots of options. Asian stir-fried greenbeans are 110 per cup. Grilled veggies also about 100 calories a cup.

Looks like I need to finder lower cal bread! All the bread I look at at the grocery store is like 100 calories per slice! I do always get 100% whole wheat, but I have GOT to find lower calorie bread...

Cooking extra the night before and taking leftovers is the best way. However, if you can't, there are always cold cuts. Basically make your own lunchable... cheese, sausage, ham, etc. Crackers are nice, but you don't need them. Pack a small salad or some pickles to add green.

It's not uncommon for me to grab a few slices of cheddar, deer sausage, and some yogurt as I run out the door in the morning. Breakfast and brunch right there. I've done it for lunch, too. The protein is very filling.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Healthy lunches? I say stop eating out, skip the fast-food joints, beware the sodium content of frozen dinners, take advantage of the fact you have to go somewhere to eat. This is what I eat for lunch almost every day:

Easy healthy lunch:

Before you go to work, in a tupperware bowl, add grapenuts or some cereal, yoghurt (I skip supermarket yoghurt often and splurge on good quality, tasty yoghurt), maybe a little milk to soak the cereal more, maybe some sliced fruit, maybe topped with a little honey, whatever you like. At lunch time, grab your tupperware and spoon and go WALK somewhere to eat (even if it's to the stairs of another building).

Pretty easy - this is what I eat every day these days:

At night, in a pot make whole grains (wheatberries and barley are my faves - lower carbs, higher protein) about ~1/3 cup. THey take about 1 hour to cook. In the beginning, add garlic, chopped ginger, onions, some herbs, salt, pepper, a little oil (I'm currently on a spicy sesame oil kick), sliced carrots, other roots, whatever you like that takes a while to cook. After 30 min, add sliced kale, turnip greens, mustard greems (I get these loose at Harris Teeter for 99cents/lb), green beans, broccoli, whatever. After 30 min, remove pot from stove, mix, place in tupperware and take to work the next day. Microwave it and go eat! Make a big batch that lasts a few days.

For variety, I might add a little peanut butter watered down with hot water, cayenne and a tad of vinegar (peanut sauce!). Or a can of diced tomatoes with jalepenos, some fresh diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans and fresh cilantro. Or cumin, curry, garbanzo beans and coconut flakes.

It takes me 5 min to boil water and chop, and I essentially throw it all in pot and walk away (just watch that you don't run out of water).

it's cheap, easy, tasty, and super healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Looks like I need to finder lower cal bread! All the bread I look at at the grocery store is like 100 calories per slice! I do always get 100% whole wheat, but I have GOT to find lower calorie bread...
    Nature's Own has both the 40 calorie Honey Wheat (not whole wheat), and their 50 calorie Whole wheat. It is expensive, but I figure I am worth it.

I have lost 161 lbs so far.

I use Oatmeal Square cereal for breakfast, mid-morning snack, and mid-afternoon snack. Heaping 1/2 cup - dry. Lovely sweet crunch and VERY filling. I LOVE the Golden Maple flavor but it is hard to find. I buy 30 boxes at a time when I find it.

try this. steam some well trimmed asparagus and when soft throw it and the water and some chicken broth into the blender and make into soup.
    good hot or cold with salt and pepper and very low calorie.
    you can make potato soup, leek, cream of broccoli, etc this way.

for salad i love to grab a bag of shredded cabbage and toss it in a bowl with homemade chicken salad.
    the chicken salad moistens the cabbage just enough and it's delicious and filling.

also some white beans, rinsed,drained and tossed with some freshly chopped parsely, olives, radishes, whatever you like and squeeze a lemon and drizzle evoo over.

oh and cut up a mango and some other fruits you like into a tupperware and add some goat cheese. drizzle honey and chopped nuts all over.
    in a couple of hours the flavors will all have melded together.
    so good!