The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Pollards talks about the accident

http://soundcloud.com/chrisstaffordr...-eventing-team

He states that none of the horses were insured. He goes on to say that there will probably be no money from the other driver, but he says he doesn't want to discuss the driver.
    Nathalie talks about the first time she saw Fly and her relationship with him. Katie also speaks.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Thank you for sharing this, Lori.

I. Cannot. Imagine.

((((HUGS)))) and Jingles to all involved.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Katie is unbelievable. How did she tell that story without weeping? What a brave young woman. I love that Michael put in at the end how strong the girls have been and how terribly tragic it has been for them. Nice to acknowledge that aspect. Ugh, it is just SO SAD.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

So sad... there are no words! What an unimaginable loss!! I was hoping against hope that they were insured... not that that would make up for the loss at all but at least it's something

Does anyone know the story behind the other driver? In the interview Michael Pollard states something about "given the situation of the other driver which I don't want to go into"... I'm wondering what that means?!

I don't know a thing about the other driver but I ASSUUUUUUUME he is a completely stupid, selfish, moronic, texting, in-a-hurry-can't-be-bothered-to-wait-an-extra-15-seconds asshat who should have his cell phone and driver's license revoked. He should also have been forced to stand at the scene to observe the death, destruction and misery he caused, all by himself, because he didn't want to drive behind a horse trailer. I don't care what he has to say for himself, he is the #1 causer-of-devastation in this case. But that's just my opinion. He makes me sick.

http://smarthorsekeeping.blogspot.co...community.html

Just wanted to share my thoughts. This has been so heavy on my heart all weekend, I simply cannot imagine what the Pollards are experiencing.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    I don't know a thing about the other driver but I ASSUUUUUUUME he is a completely stupid, selfish, moronic, texting, in-a-hurry-can't-be-bothered-to-wait-an-extra-15-seconds asshat who should have his cell phone and driver's license revoked. He should also have been forced to stand at the scene to observe the death, destruction and misery he caused, all by himself, because he didn't want to drive behind a horse trailer. I don't care what he has to say for himself, he is the #1 causer-of-devastation in this case. But that's just my opinion. He makes me sick.
    It really is hard to believe someone could be so irresponsible. I think you summed it up pretty well.

What was the Pollards' trailer? A slant or head to head?
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

The other driver must be uninsured, or I can't imagine how his insurance wouldn't cover the value of the horses. I also can't imagine not having insurance on my show horses though either.

It only adds to how terrible it must be for the Pollard team. Certainly have my sympathies.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyderKy View Post
    What was the Pollards' trailer? A slant or head to head?
    Sounded like a slant

Interesting comments about the shipping boots.

Although leave it to a mare to extricate herself from an ugly situation
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

This is SO sad. They're such strong people, being able to talk about it without breaking down.

Although I had to smile at Michael's "Hanni Badger" comment.

It looks like the driver received a ticket for failure to yield:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=20089

I can't imagine. There aren't enough words of sympathy for everyone involved.

Well this could be really catty and politically incorrect but it could be possibly be that the other driver might have some residency issues (if you get my drift) or maybe the driver didn't have insurance, maybe there's a DUI or suspended/revoked license...unfortunately most states don't value horses as more than livestock - meaning that their value would not necessarily be determined based on their talent, breeding and competition history.. Terribly sad, scary and I cannot imagine the heartache they are going thru.

Made me cry to listen. So so very sorry for all involved. If there is any justice in the world, they will find some great new horses soon.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by houndsears View Post
    It looks like the driver received a ticket for failure to yield:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=20089
    YOU HAVE G.O.T TO BE KIDDING! Holy smokes. This renders me speechless-a fairly rare occurrence, to be sure. Somebody please tell me ROBERTO HERNANDEZ had to stand by and watch the horror.........

A local stable I often go to for clinics and lessons was hauling several horses home from a show. They were in a one ton diesel truck with a 4 horse slant load trailer (I think, it was a big combo). On the other side of the interstate a group of young teenagers in a sportscar were racing another car. The teens lost control of their vehicle, and crossed the grass medium directly in front of the horse trailer.

The driver of the trailer said she took her foot off the gas and that was the end of that. They T boned the small car which ended up underneath the truck. The force of the crash shoved the engine of the truck into the cab, injuring the driver and passenger, and crumpled the bed of the truck forcing the nose of the trailer through the back glass and into the cab.

Because the trailer did not flip over the horses had only minor injuries but stood on the highway for several hours until another trailer showed up. The driver of the truck was taken in ambulance and the passenger was airlifted. The size of the truck saved their lives, as well as prevented it from becoming a more than two car accident.

The two teens died instantly. There is a road rage/reckless driving law on the books now because of the accident.

Thanks for the interview link. And thanks to the interviewees for having the courage to share this with us at this point in their loss.

This is a tragedy that just can't be fixed, in any way. The horses can't really be replaced for any amount. My heart breaks for the Pollards.

Re the driver in any way being able to make this good monetarily ... I guess-timate that the total value of the lost horses, Icarus, Jude's Law and Ulando, would be between $1.5 and $2 million. All 3 had won at Advanced, with Icarus going 4*. Of course there is no replacing a horse qualified for Olympic selection at this point. No amount of money can put Michael back in the status he was re the Olympics.

...unfortunately most states don't value horses as more than livestock - meaning that their value would not necessarily be determined based on their talent, breeding and competition history.
    I am so saddened by this whole ugly mess..for everyone .
    I am going to call my USAA vehicle carrier tomorrow and ask them where they would stand on this...I fear its the above though...also while my trailer repairs would be covered they would not cover my horses if I self inflicted damage in a 1 vehicle insident, this I do know. Horses would have to be seperate own coverage, cause I asked once.

I applaude the Pollards for being a Class Act and NOT going there about the other driver, I hope they have good counsel and keep this all "In House".

We can vent and wish every imaginable or unimaginable ill will and pain towards the other driver...but whats done is done...and it would be WAY more benificial to help the Pollards move forward and build a finacial recovery fund so they can start looking when the time is right for new future stars.