The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

nlk - I wouldn't expect to be able to cut out ALL supplemenal feed, but you may be able to CUT DOWN on how much you feed. That is how I interpreted their page. You don't NEED supp's to cover the vitamins/mineral, and this makes your horses digestive system more efficient so you may be able to FEED LESS to maintain weight.

Good luck and let us know how your horses do on it. I am happy enough to plan on buying a second bag and continuing for awhile.

I have been using Equipride for about a year now and I am extremely happy with it. Add it to a cup or two of soaked Senior and no horse will refuse. Not too many will eat it plain, but a few will. I start with a quarter of the full dose and work my way up to the full amount over the course of a week.

I am a former Platinum Performance user and I think this product blows that one out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    I'm aware of that. Which is why I am asking the questions of people who have in fact used this. The manufacture CLAIMS that only those in the most stressful of work routines need something "extra". I am of course leery of this but if that is in fact the case I'm all for it. The premise is that the horses body utilizes, breaks, down, absorbs everything faster and more efficiently then regular feed, so therefore they only need 10 oz ( per 1000 pounds) a day of this stuff plus hay. The science makes since, the products ( pre and pro-biotics, etc etc) make since. However just sounded a little to good to be true. Now because I took the time and asked I have decided that I am going to try it on two of my horses, a TB and an arthritic pinto. IF I get the results they claim ( better weight, coat, skin hooves, and joints) I will switch everyone over.
    Just to comment on the needs of additional grain/calories ...

Once the horse has been on the product for a while, you can slowly decrease the other grains and see what level they are able to maintain weight at. This is going to be different for every horse, based on metabolism. I would probably wait about a month before doing this.

As a general rule, I am able to feed much less grain/feedstuffs with the Equipride; however, if you have a harder keeper you will probably need to add calories, just like with a ration balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    nlk - I wouldn't expect to be able to cut out ALL supplemenal feed, but you may be able to CUT DOWN on how much you feed. That is how I interpreted their page. You don't NEED supp's to cover the vitamins/mineral, and this makes your horses digestive system more efficient so you may be able to FEED LESS to maintain weight.

Good luck and let us know how your horses do on it. I am happy enough to plan on buying a second bag and continuing for awhile.
    I was just going off what their representative said on being able to maintain them on the Equi Pride alone. It does say that you will not need hoof, digestive, joint, coat, skin supplements ( which is what the majority of horses are on!) that is an added bonus. It's interesting to hear how it has worked for everyone.

As a side note I was planning on switching slowly and slowly tapering off fortified feed to figure out how much would get cut out.

I've tried both the loose and the tub form of equipride. They were giving away several of the tubs at one of our local feed stores, because they'd decided to stop carrying it. None of my three (or the other horses in our barn) would eat more than a tiny amount of the tubs, including the tiny welsh pony who is on a diet. They made faces but would eat the loose stuff when it was mixed with some beet pulp. But they are all pony crosses and will eat almost anything. It did not have ny miraculous effects on any of them, and I thought it was low on some essential nutrients, and I wasn't convinced that the fermentation process would enhance the levels that dramatically. For my soy sensitive ponies who can't eat grain, I'm back to horsetech's glanzen Complete, mixed with soaked beet pulp. Simple, yet effective, and they all have great feet and shiny coats.

Instead of starting a new thread, I was hoping someone familiar with Equipride would have some insight.

I've been feeding the product since May and my 2 horses look incredible. My mare is at the perfect weight (FINALLY), their coats are wonderful, and their feet are 1000x better than ever before. I feed the Equipride with a small amount of beet pulp and everyone is happy.

Unfortunately, I went to order another bag (50lbs lasts my guys a couple months) and I can no longer get the 50lbs bags. They have some remaining 25lbs tubs available, but to spend $42 for 25lbs when I was spending the same amount for 50lbs, I don't think so.

After hearing from the feed store, I called my local dealer to see if there was anywhere else I could get the product. Evidently the company cut off distribution to the area (or something along those lines) due to pricing issues in Texas (?? I'm not really sure what was going on). So, until they get a new dealer/resolve issues in the area, no more Equipride.

So, having said all of this, does anyone have a recommednation for a product similar to Equipride? My mare had a laminitis scare last November and while I'm pretty sure we were dealing with something else, I want to be super careful with what I feed. In addition, she does NOT do well with soy so that rules out most ration balancers. She's not necessarily an easy keeper in the winter (but on Equipride she held her weight W/O the usual summer weight gain) either. My gelding is a pretty easy keeper and could be fine on a ration balanacer again, but I have 3 horses and I really don't want to buy 3 different feeds. Gelding also looks a lot better since coming off soy.

Any suggestions? Someone suggested McCauley M10 ( http://www.mccauleybros.com/suppleme...D=m10#features ) but I don't know anything about it. For the winter I planned to add a fat source for my mare.

horse tech Glanzen 3 plus one of their multi vitamins (they have versions for horses on grass or alfalfa).

Quote Originally Posted by arabiansrock View Post
    horse tech Glanzen 3 plus one of their multi vitamins (they have versions for horses on grass or alfalfa).
    I'll have to look into this product.

Any other suggestions?

I'd like to know if anyone is having current success with this product? I am thinking of trying it mainly for digestive improvement on a hard keeper. Planning to use it as a top dress and not changing anything else in the diet.

Thanks!

I took my horses off of it for about three months due to money. ONe mare started looking scraggly and the other mare got hyper and distracted again. So I put them back on it two weeks ago, and am trying (again) to convince my picky TB to eat it (I have him up to a whopping half cup so far ). This weekend the distracted hyper mare was calmer in the cross ties and easier for my daughter to ride. Scraggly mare got clipped and turned out she looked great under the yak fur so being off it probably wasn't hurting her. No change in TB yet since he is barely getting any.

I do plan to just keep them on it from now on as the hyper mare really seems to be more relaxed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KC058 View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone is having current success with this product? I am thinking of trying it mainly for digestive improvement on a hard keeper. Planning to use it as a top dress and not changing anything else in the diet.

Thanks!
    I started my horses on it about a month ago. So far so good, although I'm very curious to see how their coats look when they shed out.

I mix it with alfalfa pellets and rice bran. One of my horses is quite the hard keeper and sensitive to many ingredients in feeds-- he is doing very well on it. He is maintaining his weight nicely despite the fact that his calorie intake has gone down slightly since switching to Equipride.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Tried it, but my horses didn't like it. I tried it for a few months last summer for one of my horses on stall rest that didn't need all the grain, but needed vit/min. He would clean it up slowly through out the day/night, probably boredom. Once he was back on some turnout, he stopped eating it, would eat around it. I love the concept, but didn't work.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!! I'll report back my creative ways to get a finicky racehorse to eat this!

Well so far my tb gelding is eating it. he is up to a half cup. What i am doing to "help" him eat it is I bought some CocoSoya oil and am pouring a serving of that on top of his supp's (including the equipride) and then shake it up good to distribute the oil. So far it is working. Hopefully I can get him up to the full dose then take away the CocoSoya.

Was interested in this, too, and saw a person here in TX just advertise they were dealing it....$75/50# bag! Ouch....I would like to try it, but now, not for that $$$
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Was interested in this, too, and saw a person here in TX just advertise they were dealing it....$75/50# bag! Ouch....I would like to try it, but now, not for that $$$
    This is roughly an 80 day supply for one horse.

1 horse gets 10 ounces a day, a little over 1/2 pound.

So no, it doesn't seem expensive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    I pay a little less than that, but I calculated the cost and it came out to about $0.81/day per horse.

I was feeding Buckeye Gro N Win to balance my horses' rations, which is still a little cheaper than EquiPride-- about $0.72/day.

So while EquiPride is pricey, the cost isn't that much higher than alternatives once you get over the initial sticker shock. Although the jury is still out for me on whether or not it's "worth it"-- I've only been using it a little over a month.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I like the idea but my horses found the stuff to be really not palatable, they aren't normally picky if I introduce things slowly.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

I tried the Equipride with my mare. She would eat 2 oz, then 4 oz...but more than that...no way. She should get 10-11 oz for her weight. So, I am feeding the one bucket of Equipride at the rate of 2 oz/day...No way I am throwing that much away but when it is gone then no more Equipride. My barn does not do soaked anything.

She is an easykeeper and looks great to start with so her current regimen is 1 cup grass hay pellets, 4 oz ground flax,
    2oz of Equierry's Choice (vitamin and mineral supp) and 2 oz of Equipride until it is gone. Still get the vits without any concentrates or soy.

Susan