The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Equi Pride

http://www.equipride.biz/

Anyone use this? I'm very interested in this. they claim that your horse doesn't have to be on any fortified feed except the most extreme sporthorses (which I think of as Grand Prix Jumpers/Dressage top reiners etc.) They get one scoop ( almost the size of a measuring cup) 2x a day and hay. It's about $40 for a pail and last 40 days ( average size horse)

Basically I am curious because it sounds healthier, you can eliminate supplements and it's cheaper then my feed......but wanted other feed back BEFORE I tried it on one of my horses. Nutritional content is listed so any insight on that would be great as well.. Thanks!

I tried it. NONE of my horses would eat it, and they've never turned up their noses at any other food.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I am on my first bag right now, about half way thru. My two mares are eating it, my gelding wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole! Main thing I have noticed is my one mare who tends to be stressy when taken away from the group and a bit ADHD, is much quieter and more focused. NOw I did also add some magnesium to her diet so it may not be the equipride, but I think it is. The other mare is looking better (but not great, she is older and very arthritic) on it, and vet commented two weeks ago on how well she is doing. So I am planning on getting another bag for the mares and continuing.

I like the product, but also had issues with palatability. The only way I could get horses to eat it was to V E R Y gradually increase the amount I fed. I started with less than a spoonful and increased a tiny bit at a time. Once they were used to the taste, they were okay with it.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I've used it - 1 inhaled it right from the start, the other needed a few days adjustment then inhaled it after that.

It DOES smell different, because it IS different, it has a fermented aspect to it. It's definitely something some horses will just hate, always, but it's also something some horses will kill you for LOL

It's a really nice product

I feed nothing else but EquiPride... both the crumbles and the Lix tubs. Yes, do start very slow on the crumbles since it has a funky smell.

It has simplified my feeding program and I KNOW it doesn't have all the stuff I don't want them to get., i.e., sugar, starch & soy.

Rock hard hooves, shiney/soft coat even tho they live out 24/7 and easy weight management.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I think it's a product with a lot of merit if you can get your horses to eat it. Sadly, I could not. Mine didn't want the loose crumbles or the solid tub. I did have one that would eat the crumbles initially but then stopped. As others have said it is a fermented product with a very yeasty smell. It was off-putting to me and most of my horses. I wanted to try it when I was doing my soy-free experiment.

So if I tried it I would need to introduce gradually for taste ( which I would just to accustom them to something new...)

those whose horses are on it have you taken them off of fortified feeds altogether? Are they in work or are they pasture puffs? one of my big concerns is the show horses and older horses getting enough to sustain them....

Thank you for the replies..I think I will get a pail to try on my one horse.

Since you're giving them all the good stuff they need in a concentrated form, there is no need for any other fortified feeds. In fact, you'd be overdoing things. To meet caloric intake for the horse in work, you up whatever you're mixing the Equipride with: beet pulp, oats, etc.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Since you're giving them all the good stuff they need in a concentrated form, there is no need for any other fortified feeds. In fact, you'd be overdoing things. To meet caloric intake for the horse in work, you up whatever you're mixing the Equipride with: beet pulp, oats, etc.
    Ok so you would do away with pellets, senior, grain etc but they would still be on their forage etc....makes since and is what they claim but just wanted to see if others thought that was true!

I love Equipride! I add a little beet pulp and a sprinkle of grain (for taste) and all the horses will eat it. I can't believe the difference after six months..better hooves, coats, less skin problems.

Yes, I am a long term user. 2.5 years now.

My soy sensitive Rocky Mt mare eats this and timothy pellets.

She inhaled it the first time, nodded her head with approval - yum. Comes at a run when called to eat. The pellets make the "feed" sound like real grain. But she will eat plain, with no pellets. She does love bp also. My arab who has had sweet feed his whole life eats it first time, and always. He eats it plain nothing with it.

It is really is not sweet, more so salty. It contains no molasses. YA!

Yes, I can definitely see a difference. Attitude, feet, coat look wonderful.

Her coat is like black silk. SO shiny.

Much easier to feed this and not have to play the bagged grain game. Which I have found over the decades I have had horses, the feed can vary from bag to bag.

Default Hard Keeper Friendly?

Has anyone used this with a hard keeper? My horse doesn't like beet pulp or most complete feeds and is constantly just under the right weight. He's currently on Trifecta (the irony of it having a beet pulp base is not lost on me), which he does eat fairly well, but I refuse to feed him 10+ lbs of it as it says on the bag. He currently gets 7.5 lbs (3 of the plastic scoops per day) broken up in 3 feedings. I like the idea of using the equipride (if he'll eat it) with oats to have a more natural diet. Also am curious as to the amount of oats he would have to consume.

I just started feeding the Equipride 1 week ago. I'm only feeding it to 2 of my 3. My hard keeping, super picky eater would likely go on a hunger strike for days if I tried to poison him with something new (I added a supplement he didn't like once and didn't eat for days, even though I stopped feeding said supplement).

Anyway, so far, so good. Neither mare or easy keeper gelding wanted to eat it the first day. I had just mixed with a handful of there current grain. Mare ended up eating it (her philosophy is that it's better to eat something she doesn't like than not eat at all), gelding didn't. Next day I mixed both with some beet pulp, mare inhaled, gelding picked through. I cut his down to about 1/4 cup 2x/day with soaked, but not watery (it seems he doesn't appreciate watery beet pulp) and he started eating it. He's now licking his bucket clean with the full amount.

I'm going to try and pull mare off beet pulp in the next day or so (she doesn't do well on it), but I assume she'll eat it anyway. She's only getting 1/2 cup soaked beet pulp at this point so I think I'm good to go. Next thing will be to cut out the handful of grain that goes along with it.

I'm glad it seems to be working out. Too soon to tell how much good it's doing, but I'm happy they're eating it. I spent quite a bit of time tracking down someplace to buy it. Finally the distributor passed me along to some feed stores he works with and they ordered it. I think I spend $49 for the 50lbs bag which was much cheaper than buying the 25lbs bucket directly from Equipride.

And OF COURSE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN ANY VERMONT STORES! GRRR!!!

I want my horses getting vitamins and minerals, without the added of a "grain" as the vehicle. Right now they are on Poulin MVP ration balancer, but my gelding has been edgy and seems to be getting higher strung as of late. Although he has been on MVP since last fall, this spring is when I noticed a difference. It's a ration balancer that contains soy.

I would like to get them on minerals and vitamins cost effectively, and make sure they are gettign enough Vit E and Selenium since our soils are deficient here.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by morsekg View Post
    Has anyone used this with a hard keeper? My horse doesn't like beet pulp or most complete feeds and is constantly just under the right weight. He's currently on Trifecta (the irony of it having a beet pulp base is not lost on me), which he does eat fairly well, but I refuse to feed him 10+ lbs of it as it says on the bag. He currently gets 7.5 lbs (3 of the plastic scoops per day) broken up in 3 feedings. I like the idea of using the equipride (if he'll eat it) with oats to have a more natural diet. Also am curious as to the amount of oats he would have to consume.
    They are not suppose to need any grain (that includes oats) once they are switched over except for the those that are at the highest level of performance, which lets face it not many of our horses meet that requirement!

That is why I have posted though because I wanted to know how true that was! Having mostly TB and TB crosses this is important!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    And OF COURSE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE IN ANY VERMONT STORES! GRRR!!!
    Road Trip!!

I drive about one hour north to get mine in Franklin, TN at the kubota dealer. I get a few bags at a time. Store in the house.

I would call my RM a picky horse with her food stuffs. She will turn her lip up (literally) at many things. She loved the equipride. Salty, yumm. I tried the other day to give her a fresh, sweet strawberry, and she said no way. And happily showed me her lip curled up. What a comedian! The other day on the way to the trail, she had her nose stuck out the trailer, through the mesh screen, and had her lip up. I could see her gums, and teeth! She did this for about 5 miles or so. What a funny gal. This horse is very funny, never had such a funny horse. I like it though. Sense of humor I guess you would call it.

Default Oats?

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    They are not suppose to need any grain (that includes oats) once they are switched over except for the those that are at the highest level of performance, which lets face it not many of our horses meet that requirement!

That is why I have posted though because I wanted to know how true that was! Having mostly TB and TB crosses this is important!
    Well I had previously contacted the company to ask about my horse being a hard keeper and they said that I could feed it along with my complete feed to increase utilization and to supply vit/min since I don't do the recommended amount, but recommended that I feed him oats instead (more natural diet). Guess I should have explained myself better in my first post.

I love the idea of natural feeding, but my 18.1 hand hard keeper TB might just be beyond that type of management. He is by no means at the highest level of performance - ridden 5 days a week and jumping 2 of those days usually. Only time I saw him at a good weight (and not even close to overweight) was when I bought him after he spent a year on pasture and no work.

I guess i'm just hoping to find someone who has tried this kind of diet on a hard keeper before I do it!

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    It's really not uncommon for even light pleasure horses to need more calories than just something like this and grass/hay. It doesn't require "the highest levels of performance" to need a good amount of calories.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's really not uncommon for even light pleasure horses to need more calories than just something like this and grass/hay. It doesn't require "the highest levels of performance" to need a good amount of calories.
    I'm aware of that. Which is why I am asking the questions of people who have in fact used this. The manufacture CLAIMS that only those in the most stressful of work routines need something "extra". I am of course leery of this but if that is in fact the case I'm all for it. The premise is that the horses body utilizes, breaks, down, absorbs everything faster and more efficiently then regular feed, so therefore they only need 10 oz ( per 1000 pounds) a day of this stuff plus hay. The science makes since, the products ( pre and pro-biotics, etc etc) make since. However just sounded a little to good to be true. Now because I took the time and asked I have decided that I am going to try it on two of my horses, a TB and an arthritic pinto. IF I get the results they claim ( better weight, coat, skin hooves, and joints) I will switch everyone over.