The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fun things to do with 15 and 16 yr old kids?

What kids of fun things to kids this age enjoy doing with their parents?

You're kidding, right?
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

well our teenagers like camping and horseback riding and hunting with us... but they're homeschooled freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Wait, what?

I can tell you what they enjoy doing with relatives... One summer my brother and sister visited my uncle then my grandparents. My grandparents phoned my uncle one day: "Their parents aren't home and they want us to take them skydiving. Is it ok?"

Uncle: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..."
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Amusement parks, concerts... places and events where they aren't attached to you at the hip and they can go off and "be cool" and independent.

If they're at all interested in history, visiting historic sites is great. They WILL remember that.

The beach is NOT a fun place to go with your parents at that age.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Walking in opposite directions.

ETA: I'm actually 16 and seriously, just take them to one of those frozen yogurt places where they have a million toppings and you can use as many as possible. They will be so overwhelmed by trying to decide if they should have two or five different kinds of chocolate chips that they will forget to be teenagers.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Rafting, kayaking -- we always went on overnight rides.. but, we also were of the homeschool camp

We looked for ghosts at gettysburg, wemt swimming at different parks and hiked the trails there, stayed overnight in Appalachian Trail shelters (yes, telling stories around the campfire).

15-16yr olds are explorers! try orienteering events. They like to show they've mastered certain skills --

This time of year its waterskiing, in winter snowboarding!
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Send them with other people to do stuff....

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My dad used to take the whole family to Hollywood Blvd. This was in the early 70's so before it got really bad, then sanitized. We'd observe the Hari Krishnas, ladies and gentlemen of the evening, cruise through a really neat bookstore that was there then, and finish off the evening with hot fudge sundaes at C.C. Brown's. Seems like a life time ago.

One year my then 15 y.o. second cousin came out for a month-long visit. She's a bit more than 20 years younger than me. She rode so we did some horse-related stuff. But I also handed her the Triple A guide, some other tourist information, and a list I made up and told her to pick some of them and that I'd guarantee that we'd do some number of them (it worked out to maybe 2 a week) as long as it didn't involve a water park or something illegal. Yes, we went to Hollywood Blvd. Also Venice Beach, a musical, maybe Olvera Street. She wanted to see the Hollywood sign which I helpfully pointed out from the 10 freeway (but I didn't count that).
    The Evil Chem Prof

Aw, this post is kind of sad!

My oldest is only turning 14 but she would do just about anything with us. Oddly, we also homeschool, so we are used to being together. Maybe that is why it's easier for homeschooling families?

Exploring a new city is a good one - we'll also learn about the history and then seek out some historical sites so it's not just trudging around looking for a candy shop.

Hiking, museums, water parks (although I personally hate water parks so that is always a challenge in patience for me), concerts, etc.

I think it depends on the kids and parents; if they are active and you are too, it's easy. If not, it might be harder to find something "fun" that you all enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    What kids of fun things to kids this age enjoy doing with their parents?
    Depends on the kids. Enough of them are slugs wanting to play video games or texting all the time.

Are they even nice kids or the snarky "you aren't my generation and aren't cool enough to entertain me".

Basically, at that age, most kids don't want to spend time with their parents, they like to be with the group they ascribe to (fellow pubescents with shared attitudes).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpthemoon16 View Post
    Wait, what?
    As the mother of a 17 year old boy this made me laugh out loud!

We always took a couple of friends...hiking, canoeing, museums (Smithsonian was a favorite), games (lacrosse in particular), dinner, shopping, miniature golf. Vacation was DisneyWorld for a couple of years with a friend. They could safely wander off, we had lunch and dinner together. They still hung with us though. One year, my daughter had a couple of friends meet us there, the boyfriends played golf with my husband, the girls had spa day.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Indoor rock climbing
    Paintball
    and there are some great ideas above!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

skiing and bowling also make our list... any kind of traveling.

My kids would LOVE a ghost stakeout-I'll have to add that to our list!

water parks, rafting, or tubing if there is a river handy.
    what hobbies do they have ? is their a touristy thing involving that?
    I am attending Comicon this year with a couple teens and heading up to tour their fav online gaming company..they are stoked, I wonder what I can think of for next year
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Indoor rock climbing
    Paintball
    and there are some great ideas above!
    Dee
    yes the in-door rock climbing, we enjoyed that... and the competition became ferrous that eventually lead to running distance races

When our older boys (now 24 and 22) were that age (not yet driving, then they really won't go anywhere with you!) they liked to go to big events that interested them with us. A favorite was a visit to the "X Games" in Providence where they could watch all kinds of crazy skateboarding/BMX, etc...contests. Travelling, of course. Best trip for them: we went up to Montreal (only a five hour drive for us) during the Jazz Festival and stayed at a hotel walking distance from downtown. They could go out by themselves at night to watch various free, outdoor, shows. Safe enough city for that in the downtown area and they felt very grown up...walking around together with no parents in a, technically, foreign city, listening to cool bands. We just made a rule that they HAD to stay together, HAD to stay within a certain block radius of the festival center (drew it on a map), had to keep their cell phone on and answer if we called and had to be back at the hotel by 11:00pm. We did lots of touristy things together as a family during the day, so we got some family time too.