The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default You all were right! BIG regret! NOW what?!

Ready for the flames....

I originally posted how psyched I was to breed to this trakehner stallion (who I will not name) I thought
    he was a wonderful, talented, promising stallion, etc. etc. Long story short, I was VERY VERY WRONG! I am now sick to my stomach that I chose to breed to this horse. I can't even begin to describe just how much I regret breeding to this horse. I am so angry with this decision I made. Many of you COTHERS thought he was total crap when I originally posted how excited I was to breed to him. Again, I will humor you all by saying, "You all were right!!!"

I've only bred one other horse before and that filly ended up being the best offspring I could possibly imagine. (Obviously, a different stallion). I now wish I could take everything back and breed to that same stud. However, now I am stuck with this mare thats due to foal late Aug. and I am dreading the delivery.

Like I said, go ahead and flame away. I know this is completely irresponsible, etc. All I can say is that we all make mistakes and this is DEFINATELY my mistake. Any suggestions as to what to do??? I was considering donating the foal to a college or something.

I guess I should mention that the stallion owner does have a small following of people who have continuely purchased this stud's offspring. Evidently there are people buying these babies and she hasn't had any problems selling them (mostly to amateurs). Its not like this stallion is so horrible it should be turned in to dog food but I now believe that he CERTAINLY should NOT be a stud. Again, this is MY mistake and I take complete responsibility. I DEF. learned my lesson!

Anyway, do college equine programs accept foal donations?? Saying everything goes well and she delivers a healthy foal, I am not willing to wait around to see if it sells. The reason for this is because I doubt it will sell! Even if it does sell I am sure I will lose money since I am assuming it won't sell for more than I am paying to care for it. Therefore, does anyone have any ideas? what would u guys do in this situation?

Don't know the ins and outs but why so dreadful? You don't know what's coming or do u? Could be the best thing that ever happened to you?

We have all made mistakes and sometimes they turn out for the best. Would we make the same mistake again....no. Lesson learned. Just don't count it out until you see what comes.

Best of luck
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Why is the stallion so awful?
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

I personally don't think anyone should breed a horse if they must sell the foal. Too many things can go wrong to gamble with an animals life in my opinion. That said, I think you are being ridiculous. Quit with the negative thoughts and wait and see what you get. Then make the best of it.

1 members found this post helpful.

The stallion was advertised to be WAY more accomplished than he really is, when seen in person he simply does not have the level of quality I was hoping for, whoever photographed him did an awesome job because, again, in person his conformation is okay at best, etc. I could go on all night....

Does your mare suck too? I am sticking with ridiculous.

Definitely wait and see what you've got before you panic!

I've seen some 'oops' babies that turned out to be very solid, decent citizens! crappy neighbour stud jumps the fence and breeds crappy mare kind of thing..

Fingers crossed for you to get a nice 'oops'.

Don't be so hard on yourself either, like others have said 'lesson learned!' at least you're not completely in the dark and you realize it may not have been an awesome choice!

Well, have hope, then, that the foal will inherit the best of traits from both dam and sire and not the worst. What's done is done. Don't start discounting the foal before it's even born!

laurierace,

I don't HAVE to sell the foal. As a matter of fact, I REALLY wanted to keep this one for myself. However, I am absolutely depressed by what I saw. This is one of the biggest mistakes I've EVER made.

So far, you guys have said that I should just wait and see but I am already preparing for the worst. I don't want to be stupidly optimistic and then not know what to do once an atrocious foal, that MAY be mediocre at best, pops out. I certainly wouldn't want to sell something that doesn't do the breed justice. However, I also don't want to be stuck with a foal that I hate.

I guess I would wait and see. Once the foal is born, I would have an impartial, knowledgeable person evaluate it for me. Genetics can work in ways, both good and bad that one would never expect. Don't condemn the baby before it is even born

no, the mare is very nice...

I will gladly accept any unwanted foal donation

Gee, kind of like Christmas huh? I know you are going for humble and remorseful but that is not what I am getting at all. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I was expecting some story about a foal born with 3 eyes and no legs and its head where it's ass should be.

But there isn't even a baby yet!
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Well - dont feel so bad. Im sure every single one of us has done something incredibly stupid in their lifetime that they regretted doing ...

Me?

I bought a 2 year old, very unique TB filly from NZ. When she landed, between purchase cost and transportation to my door, she cost me $25,000.00 and I didnt even LIKE her that much the more I got to know her

Biggest, dumbest, most expensive mistake I ever made

Hopefully I'll never repeat something like THAT ever again or I'll be in the flipping poor house before I know it!

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    I was expecting some story about a foal born with 3 eyes and no legs and its head where it's ass should be.

But there isn't even a baby yet!

LOL!!!

seriously, the stallion's get has a market, why going all hysterical about donating the foal?

Have a box of wine (and maybe some other adult activities)
    The world will look better in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I guess I am just trying to prepare for the worst. Obviously, if its head where its ass should be, born with 3 eyes, etc. lol!...then it should be put down! However, I'm talking about something that may look like a horse, have all the right parts in the right places, but can't move and/or jump to save its life, and/or doesn't have a good personality, and/or isn't built well, etc. THEN what?! I wouldn't expect anyone to buy something like that!

Laurierace, whats with the hostility? I don't think anyone would want to pay to raise a horse they didn't want! Nor would I expect anyone to buy a horse that doesn't do their breed justice!

Truecolours, what did you end up doing with that filly?

I guess I am just trying to prepare for the worst. Obviously, if its head where its ass should be, born with 3 eyes, etc. lol!...then it should be put down! However, I'm talking about something that may look like a horse, have all the right parts in the right places, but can't move and/or jump to save its life, and/or doesn't have a good personality, and/or isn't built well, etc. THEN what?! I wouldn't expect anyone to buy something like that!

Laurierace, whats with the hostility? I don't think anyone would want to pay to raise a horse they didn't want! Nor would I expect anyone to buy a horse that doesn't do their breed justice!

oops sorry for the multiple posts....

Alagirl, I like your suggestion...will do!!!