The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paleo Diet

It was mentioned on here a while ago and I have looked into it. I'm on a medication that causes weight gain and I have GOT to get about 20 pounds off for the sake of my horse if not my own sake! Is anyone here on it? What do you think about it?

Love it, takes a lot of planning though, and you have to like to cook. Much easier if you have someone who can eat that way with you. Cooking for one can be hard, and if someone in your household brings home breads or brownies, you have to have some amazing willpower to not eat it. Granted there are tons of recipes out there to make your own Paleo treats!
    I keep a blog of most of my food, but I have been slacking lately
    http://bacoogle.tumblr.com/
    ~ Unexpected ~

I eat paleo as well. It's been a pretty big life changer for actually very little effort/changes to the way I ate before.

I agree...it does take some meal planning and a little extra money spent on groceries. However, once you find recipes you like you can alter them or go through a rotation of the same. That is pretty much what I do-I've got about two weeks worth of "go-to" recipes that I cycle through often.

However, once you figure it out it's pretty no brainer. Also, you'll come to love the way you feel on it, trust me. It is definitely one of those lifestyle changes so don't think of it as a "diet".

I would also suggest that when you first start, stay away from the "paleo" baked goods. You could probably incorporate those in when you've reached your goals, but at the beginning you want to reprogram your body and allow to stabilize.

I do the P diet. If it doesnt swim, fly, run or grow in the ground, I don't eat it. Except for condiments. Those are my weakness. And no byproducts; like flour, etc.

Except booze, obviously.

I love it as well. I slip up occasionally (damn you half-price margarita Mondays!), but it's easier to stick to than you'd think. And I feel great.

As others have said, it takes some planning. Especially if you have to pack a lunch for work. I always just try to make enough of dinner that I have leftovers.

I have found that I can eat pretty much as much as I want and I still drop the weight. That's the part that really has be sold.

Word of warning though: if you eat Paleo for about two weeks and then try to eat something with wheat in it, you will be in excruciating pain. Well, I was at least...

Good luck!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Another advocate for the Paleo diet here. I love it! And it's pretty easy to do, at least in your own house. Protein + vegetable for most meals, small amounts of fruits and nuts for snacks. The basic tenet is "just eat real food." Shop the perimeter of the grocery store, buy organic, grass-fed as often as possible. This is easier if you live in a place with good farmer's markets You will find that you feel better all over!

Check out these links for more info:
    http://www.robbwolf.com
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com

And for recipes:
    http://www.fastpaleo.com

Add me to the Paleo crowd. I've been eating this way since March of 2011 and am still doing fine. I can't imagine eating the old fashioned way!

Wheat is the single worst thing you can eat. Take it out of your diet, if nothing else, and you will see weight loss and feel much much better.

While I'm not a strict Paleo dieter, I have incorporated quite a few recipes that I've found into our weekly meals. Since cutting out pasta (not completely, but mostly!) I feel more energetic and less bloated. We like vegetables so that part wasn't hard, but bread is something we haven't given up completely. Also, I tend to not be creative with making meals, so I like to have a recipe. I have used foods that I wouldn't normally have used (I tried leeks for the first time, as well as Spaghetti squash, while trying some Paleo recipes). Overall, I definitely like the dishes, and we try to make them a few times a week.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I get all of the recipes I try here: www.paleomg.com

They are DELICIOUS!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
    It was mentioned on here a while ago and I have looked into it. I'm on a medication that causes weight gain and I have GOT to get about 20 pounds off for the sake of my horse if not my own sake! Is anyone here on it? What do you think about it?
    I do Paleo, more or less, but it's easy for me because I eat 100% of my meals at home and have access to locally and organically grown. Most folks don't!

But you don't need to get that fancy. Just ditch 100% of the following:

(1) Sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup. Anything made with it. No sweet drinks. EVER.

(2) Anything made with flour.

Eat salads with uncured cold cuts or chicken breast or egg in place of sandwiches. A nice lunch for me is sometimes a whole can of tunafish (eaten OUT of the can! ) and a Granny Smith (non-sweet) apple. Horseperson's Paleo!

Works like a charm!

i love paleo too, and am reading the primal diet book right now.
    i think that's even better, we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i love paleo too, and am reading the primal diet book right now.
    i think that's even better, we'll see...
    I feel like Primal is much stricter. I did a primal/Whole 30- 30 day challenge (with myself, lol) and it REALLY cuts out all sugar, by products, additives, etc. Paleo can be a little more flexible (like there are some schools of Paleo eating that feel heavy cream is okay, as are potatos). So it really depends on how strict/clean you want to make your diet.

If people need recipes, check out Nomnompaleo and DEFINITELY get Melissa Joulwan's cookbook "Well Fed". I regularly pull recipes from "Well Fed" and they are actual recipes, that are easy and delicious.

Also, almost any recipe you love I can pretty much guarantee someone out there has Paleo-fied it. So don't think that you'll be restricted to eating just a slab of meat and a pile of vegetables everynight. There are TONS of options/ideas out there!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I eat paleo as well. It's been a pretty big life changer for actually very little effort/changes to the way I ate before.

I agree...it does take some meal planning and a little extra money spent on groceries. However, once you find recipes you like you can alter them or go through a rotation of the same. That is pretty much what I do-I've got about two weeks worth of "go-to" recipes that I cycle through often.

However, once you figure it out it's pretty no brainer. Also, you'll come to love the way you feel on it, trust me. It is definitely one of those lifestyle changes so don't think of it as a "diet".

I would also suggest that when you first start, stay away from the "paleo" baked goods. You could probably incorporate those in when you've reached your goals, but at the beginning you want to reprogram your body and allow to stabilize.
    "Baked Goods" and "Paleo" is a contradiction in terms. Pre-Agriculture=no grain=no baked ANYthing! That be the point!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    "Baked Goods" and "Paleo" is a contradiction in terms. Pre-Agriculture=no grain=no baked ANYthing! That be the point!
    I agree, although there are a few things in certain Paleo circles that contradict "eating like a caveman"

To be clear, I was saying that the baked "paleo" goods should probably be stayed away from, at least in the beginning. I think there are a lot of Paleo followers out there who will eat a plate of Paleo cookies (they are made with either coconut or almond flour usually, but still have some form of sugar) and feel like its "okay" because its got no wheat in it. Well, wheat is not the only culprit in weight gain-so is sugar. And those baked goods still have a good amount of sugar in them.

I think if people truly commit to 30 days of very strict Paleo/primal/whole 30 eating, you will find yourself not even wanting those baked goods, or actually any kind of grain. That is what I did, and let me tell you-when those 30 days were up and I had one binge night on corn products (tortillas, tortilla chips) I woke up the next morning with what felt like a monster hangover! And it has not been hard to say no to bread. You just don't crave those things any longer. In fact, some days I find myself dreaming about a nice, big salad!

Oh my goodness, Well Fed is one of the best books ever! She has a website: www.theclothesmakethegirl.com and ALL her recipes are awesome! Stovetop carnitas? Yum! Fried f'rice? Yes please! World's Best Chili? Yes it is! =)

I feel like dairy is more on the Primal side than the Paleo side, but many Paleo-ites believe that raw dairy products are good, especially when from goats and sheep instead of cows. I have cut dairy out pretty much 99%. This week I cooked with it, but generally I stay far away.

I personally can't eat white potatoes, but many believe that as long as you don't eat them all the time and you don't ever eat the skin, you are fine. I do eat sweet potatoes though, but maybe once a week or if I need extra carbs.

I know, I totally love her cookbook. Mine is starting to look very beat up, I use it so often!

Oh, and homemade mayo? LIFECHANGING. Even if you poo-poo Paleo, stop buying manufactured mayo and just make your own. SO much better, and SO easy.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I mostly eat Paleo. My problem is dairy. I love yogurt (eat one almost every day), cheese and milk. I try to buy high quality without a lot of fillers and crap (if I could buy raw I would!), but i've seen too much good in terms of digestive health from yogurt to give it up completely.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I eat primal- slightly more permissive (dairy) and have had good success. For me, the biggie has been eliminating grains and processed foods.

And my desire for baked goods has pretty much ended. The last cupcake I had made me mad...LOL, I could have had a much better treat.

Just think of eating meat and veggies.

I loosely follow it, and unlike the previous comments, find it VERY easy to follow and find it doesn't require much in the way of planning ahead or cooking ahead. Most of the foods that require complicated recipes and prolonged cooking times aren't foods you are going to eat anyway (rice, beans, baked goods, etc.), so it dramatically simplifies mealtime- veg raw or lightly cooked, some fish or steak, you're done. Snacks- fruit, nuts, boiled egg, leftover chicken, raw veggies, dried meat. Nothing more simple.
    I do "cheat" a little- sandwiches are handy, and hard to do without bread, so I eat sandwiches sometimes. And the occasional bit of cheese.
    Anyone eating "baked paleo goods" isn't following the spirit of the diet, sorry.

Wendy, I agree with you that it's very simplistic. I never have to read labels, because I don't buy things in boxes. Meat+veggie for meals is so easy!Just add different spices.

I think it gets more complicated if you actually do want to Paleo-ize certain baked goods. That requires much more planning, purchasing, and preparing - and I love that I don't have to think much about my food choices. I just change it up with spices.

It does make eating at restaurants kind of a PITA though. I don't want a SALAD. Ha! So I am always the one eating a steak. Oh darn!