The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Repair- Central Virginia and flooring recs

Any recommendations for trailer repair in Central VA?

I have a 4 horse Cherokee head to head that I love but has started to show its age in some spots. It is used 3-4 times per week, and isn't garage kept if you know what I mean...

It will soon need a ramp replacement (welds have been replaced once, but the ramp is bent on the sides from one of mine that always steps off the side of the ramp), needs a new skin on the dressing room door (two spots have corroded all of the way through).

And I'd like to do something with the floor that is just starting to pit enough to make me concerned. I'm guessing the horse trailer equivalent of the "spray in bedliner" that you see in trucks, but need a reputable dealer to suggest the best options for a 10 yr old trailer. In other words, I'd like it fixed well, but don't want to buy the trailer all over again.

Hubby is a great welder, but he doesn't do aluminum welding. He says find someone to send it to. I'm located between Charlottesville and Richmond and would like to find something within 2 hours of home. We've bought trailers from Blue Ridge before in Ruckersville, but never had repairs done there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I bought my trailer from Ruckersville Motorsports on 29 just south of where rt 33 crosses. I know they have a service shop further west on 33. Haven't had to use them for any work as until a few months ago there was a trailer dealer a few miles down the road from where I boarded. I guess I will soon be in the same dilema as you are as I need a few small things done as general repair. Luckily the garage down the road from the barn did my new tires and cleaned and repacked the bearings on my trailer a few weeks ago and they also do inspections.

Default 2 options

VA Trailer out in Lexington across from the Horse Center replaced my Sundowner floor on my gooseneck and did a great job -- they've also done other repairs for me over the last 12 yrs - bit of a hike from Richmond but worth it IMO

I've also used Blue Ridge for yearly service and to replace some minor things -- very pleased with their service (although I haven't had anything major done there) - stood by their quote, finished early and did a great job - would use them again for major stuff should something come up

Would not hesitate to recommend either place

We just had VA Trailer (across from the VA Horse Center on Rt. 39 in Lexington) fix our escape door ( needed welding back on) and the escape door latch replaced. They did a good job and were reasonable. I would recommend them.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com