The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chicken Coops

Looking at buying a coop/run. They give ranges for how many birds they hold. I currently have 8 birds and I'm looking at this coop...

http://www.knock-out-deals.net/size-...oof-p-440.html

or the bigger one...

http://www.knock-out-deals.net/large...oof-p-438.html

Do the ranges run small, big or just right? I want my birds to be comfortable.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

definitely go with the bigger one. more space is always better.

DEFINITELY go for the bigger one. When all is said & done, these pre-manufactured coops - dimensions supplied notwithstanding - look a LOT smaller close up & personal.

As ArabDiva said - "more space is always better".

Edited to add that you should also check locally. Quite a few of our local feed/supply & shed stores are now carrying these types of pre-manufactured coops, which could save you the shipping.

Get the bigger one. Sooner or later you will wish you did and then you'll have to upgrade. We are on coop #3! because we keep realizing we need more room..

Thanks guys! I had that same feeling. Unfortunately, there aren't local places near here that carry coops, but shipping is free at this online place.

Does this coop look like it has all the components you'd need?
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I must say that I DO like the fact that they offer a hardware-cloth bottom to the run. This is UBER important re: keeping predators out - even in suburban Long Island.

I agree with the others to go with the bigger one. A general guideline for space is 4 square feet per bird in the coop (more if no run or no free-range) and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Otherwise you may run into feather-picking or other behavioral problems. Personally I like to be able to walk in and stand in the coop, but many people are happy with that type and the extra space in the run under the coop is appreciated. It's good that it has human-access to the run which makes for easier cleaning. It also appears to have a window for ventilation.

Hardware cloth is great. Chicken wire is great at keeping chickens in but not predators out. I've never put it on the floor of a coop. It would be a predator deterrent, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for the birds.

As for the company, I've never used them so cannot comment on the quality of work, but the pictures do look like nicely built coops.