The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tipperary Sportage velvet helmet cover?

I trail ride, occasionally go xc schooling, and do some dressage. As a general rule I don't show. However, I would like a helmet that I can show in, if I decided to go to a show.

My last two helmets have been Tipperarys. I love them. The first one, (the original sportage that was shiny) I loved. The second one, doesn't fit as well but does its job. Er, well it DID its job. It is now way past its prime and I've taken more than one fall with it. So yes, way past time to replace. I want to get another sportage, of course. I was looking at velvet helmet covers for them though and either the internet pictures don't do them justice or they look like crap. So does anyone have one of these velvet covers for their Tipperary Sportage? Opinions please!

Planning on ordering this helmet today because, as far as I can tell *gasp* Smartpak's mile long list of manufacturer exclusions for their 10% off sale DOES NOT include Tipperarys!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Show in your Tip as is - lots of folks do. Mine even has a skull and crossbones decal on the back, and I wore it at a recognized dressage show.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

The Tipperary T2 and T4 helmets are more show appropriate. I have a T4 that I really like.
    While I was waiting for the T4 to come in I showed jumpers in my Sportage w/ a standard velvet helmet cover [my Sportage is green, so no getting around the need for a cover]. The fit wasn't 100% perfect, but it wasn't too odd looking or very noticeable. My trainer wouldn't have let me wear it if it was.

I have the velvet cover (from Victory Canter, I think), but haven't actually used it yet. I would say the quality is moderate. For foxhunting I use a non-velvet black cover that is not Tip-specific and it fits and looks fine.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/