The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your favorite/least favorite gemstone, diamond shape, etc. . . . ?

What is your favorite/least favorite gemstone, diamond shape/color, gold color, anything, etc. . . . ?

It's a hobby of mine and I have a small degree in gemology, Accredited Jewelry Professional from GIA, is why I ask.
    Last edited by sonomacounty; May. 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

My favorite is sapphire, which is my birthstone, accompanied by diamonds. Shape doesn't matter. Size matters. :-) LOL

Although I really enjoy all nice gemstones - precious & semi-precious - my birthstone (Amethyst) also happens to be my hands-down favorite. I only like the really deep purple Amethysts though - don't care for the paler lavendar ones.

For favorite Diamond shape, I only like round. Don't care for the others.

Gold color? Definitely good old yellow gold.

Ah, sapphires, love them.

Avoid the real dark ones that you usually find in the mall stores. The nicer ones are actually a more blue color, not that almost black/super dark navy color.

http://www.palagems.com/sapphire_connoisseurship.htm

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Size, cut and clarity all matter to me! Love a good emerald cut diamond, but in the interest of getting a slightly bigger stone for less $$$ I went with princess cut. I love sapphires as well. Not at all a fan of pear cut anything. My birthstone is ruby, but I am not a huge fan of them. I am currently on a smoky topaz kick

I prefer yellow gold. Or platinum. White gold always looks like someone trying to pull off platinum on a budget to me. Plus, I was married with my great grandmother's yellow gold band
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My birthstone is ruby, but I am not a huge fan of them.

In reds, red spinel blows ruby away, imo. I'm not a ruby fan, either.

Peridot, brilliant cut.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    My birthstone is ruby, but I am not a huge fan of them.

In reds, red spinel blows ruby away, imo. I'm not a ruby fan, either.
    Thanks! DH might be less than thrilled with you!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Don't care much for jewelry in general. I wear one horsey necklace that I was oddly drawn to when I saw it; normally the faux-Indian type art is a turn off. Couldn't stop looking at it, finally just said "It is what it is and I like it." The only times I've taken it off have been during massages, when I go diving, and for my wedding (and technically could have worn it as the red color matched my dress!).

Otherwise, don't have pierced ears, don't wear rings (until I got engaged). Happened to have a round diamond as an inheritance that I had always planning on selling for a few months of board () since I don't wear rings, but used it instead.

I can tell you I don't like heart-shaped anythings when it comes to stones. So...trite looking. Fakey. A friendly acquaintance has one as her wedding/engagement ring set, and she loves it, but not for me, thanks.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Sapphires.

My engagement ring is a princess diamond framed by sapphires on either side. Wedding band is channel set sapphires and diamonds. Lucky me, it's also DH's birthstone, so there's a double meaning there.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I think amber is cool. Diamonds are boring - I prefer coloured stones. Shape/size I don't really care about - it is more about the style and whether I would wear it or not.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Don't care much for jewelry in general.

I used to be that person. Then I inherited some old diamonds. Then I started reading about old diamond cuts. Then it spread to colored stones.

I'm great for picking out expensive hobbies. Sigh . . .

---

Diamonds are boring

Well, a really clean, well cut diamond can give you lots of different color sparks (dispersion), as you say you like color.

---

I think the best thing to clean diamonds with is Windex. I hear that is what the GIA uses. Realize that if you wear your diamond every day, you should clean it every day or else they don't perform that well. Windex soak, soft toothbrush scrub, rinse over stopped sink, dry w. blowdryer (to avoid water spots). (Don't even Mention toothpaste, no, no, no - it can scratch your setting, leaves a film on your stone, . . .)

Oh, if I blowdry - it is on a cool setting with the ring on my hand. Otherwise, too easy to drop & chip it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    [B]
    Oh, if I blowdry - it is on a cool setting with the ring on my hand. Otherwise, too easy to drop & chip it.
    How can you "chip" a diamond? I thought that was impossible. Is it true? Really - I'd like to know. Didn't think diamonds could chip, unlike other gemstones.

I have been converting my mother's jewelry that I never wore into jewelry I do wear. My current favorite is aquamarine but pearls and diamonds are nice, too and i do love the ruby and diamond pendant I had made from one of her rings.

I prefer estate jewelry to modern.

Forgot to mention opals
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A diamond can chip. Otherwise we'd never have cut diamonds.

However it's highly unlikely to chip it by accident/fall.

In diamonds my faves are pear, oval, ascher and cushion cuts.
    I've never been attracted to marquis cut in general.

I also love garnets, my birthstone. And most colored gems. It all depends on how they're cut and set.

I dislike colored diamonds.

I love lots of estate/antique types of jewelry. And the reproductions...they have fun with settings.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I prefer estate jewelry to modern.

Yes !

Forgot to mention opals

Oh, you better believe it ! Adore.
    ---

If anyone wants to read a great/fascinating book about old diamonds/diamond cutting - American Cut: The First 100 Years by Al Gilbertson

(I'd better get off the computer, as I could talk gemstones all day.)

I am not a huge jewelry-wearer, but I have a huge fondness for:

Opals (my birthstone, and the only piece of jewelry I wear every day in ring-form). Love love love that iridescent milky purpley sheen.

Amethysts and Emeralds. When I was young, my dad worked in Uruguay and Argentina quite frequently, and a few times he brought back amethyst and emerald jewelry for my mom and me. I do love the colours, but it's the sentimental attachment I treasure more.

I think my perfect engagement ring would be an opal with some combo of the other two stones. Hmmm.... should I leave this for the SO to see?