The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Milk coming out of foals nose!?

My mares foal is about 1.5 months now and is giant. He is
    so tall he really has to tweek his head around to nurse. I have noticed after he nurses milk comes out of both his nostrils.

Will this hurt the foal?

Both mom and baby are good weight and the colt does munch on her hay and grain.

Has the foal been checked for a cleft palate?

Those are classic symptoms of a cleft palate but what is puzzling is how he has reached this age without contracting aspiration pneumonia (if that is what it is) unless it is so mild it is not affecting him that badly

The one cleft palate foal I had 9 or 10 years ago we ended up euthanizing at Day 3 or 4. His was so severe it involved the entire soft palate and 4 ridges of his hard palate and surgery wasnt an option as the fluid was already in his lungs and the surgeons advised he was too far gone to even put him under and attempt surgery on him

Thats the first place I'd look

Yep......not good at this age. I would have him checked immediately.

I hope that Quinn sees this thread and responds. She was my "rock" when I went through this with my colt many years ago

She had (or maybe still has!) a cleft palate horse that was in his mid teens when my colt was born. She said he made a mess in his water bucket all the time as what he was eating would re-gurgitate back out through his nose but other than that, he lived a totally normal and healthy life and wasnt sick or debilitated in any way and from what I can remember, he wasnt surgically corrected in any way

It was because of Quinn that we did make the decision to give surgery a try with this colt, but unfortunately once he got to the hospital and was scoped, he was too far along to even consider it with him

Good luck with your little guy

A friend's foal had milk coming down his nose when he was less than a week old. He was checked for cleft palate and is clear. Vet decided he's simply very greedy and chokes on the milk so splutters it out of his nose! He's growing just fine.

Check for a cleft palate, but it's doubtful that's the problem at 1.5 months of age. You would have noticed other issues by now if indeed it is/was a cleft. Some mares are quite the milk cow and when they let down their milk, it literally is a flood that the foal can't keep up with and will sometimes come out the foals nostrils. Do have it checked for a cleft to rule it out, but as long as the foal isn't aspirating it, he should be fine. Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

he was checked by vet and he doesn't have any issues like you guys are talking about. (cleft palate)

He hasn't started it until about a week or two ago. Like I said, he is getting really tall and he has to twist his head to nurse. When he stops nursing and stands normal, then milk trickles out of his nose.

He is totally healthy, runs around all day and eats with mom, so I don't think that it is effecting him.

I just wasn't sure if others that have had tall foals have seen this happen?

I don't think at this point there is anything I can do.

My now 8-day-old foal was doing this for the first few days. She does not have a cleft palate, but she is VERY tall. Too tall to nurse from her 17.3 hand mum easily!

What was happening is exactly what Kathy said above. Lots of milk from the mare and it just would come streaming out from the teat that wasn't being nursed from, going up the foal's nose, on her face, etc. We just watched carefully for any signs of aspiration but after a few days the foal figured out how to turn her head and avoid the milk up the nose thing.

My filly did this last year from day one. She had issues swallowing due to being slight dummy and ended up at the vet school for a week.

Did your horses issues just start?

This thread from last year may be helpful. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ing+foals+nose
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Thank you TC.

My boy has been gone for 5 years but lived to be 21. "The Flying Scotsman" was born easily and all appeared to be fine. We unfortunately lost the mare within 24 hours and had been bottle feeding "Scotty" after picking up some most appreciated colostrum. Almost immediately, the milk was trickling out his nose. He was a small baby and as such our Vet couldn't scope him for some time. He did in fact have a fairly large hole in his soft palate. When he drank, the hole enlarged to the size of a quarter and much of what he drank came back out his nose. At the time, there was nothing offered to be of help surgically.

He grew and learned how to expel whatever went up the hole. As he got older, hay would wad up and he'd blow it out the hole. His stall was covered in green slime. His water bucket was disgusting. His name went from Scotty to Snotty. This disability did not in any way take away from his abilities amazingly enough. It looks like this is not the problem with your foal and that's a good thing but it isn't always a death sentence either.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

i have noticed it in the last couple of weeks. He never has a runny nose, but on the occassion that I have seen him nurse, when he stops nursing he has milk dripping from his nose. He stands there for a minute, snorts the milk out and then walks on his way to bother mom or eat her food!

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Check for a cleft palate, but it's doubtful that's the problem at 1.5 months of age. You would have noticed other issues by now if indeed it is/was a cleft. Some mares are quite the milk cow and when they let down their milk, it literally is a flood that the foal can't keep up with and will sometimes come out the foals nostrils. Do have it checked for a cleft to rule it out, but as long as the foal isn't aspirating it, he should be fine. Good luck!

This.

Our 2.5 month colt has milk periodically come out both nostrils when he nurses vigorously. My SO is a vet and the colt has been checked multiple times for a cleft palate (once would have been enough but I wanted to be extra sure!). His diagnosis was "the colt is a pig". Very technical! The mare is like a dairy cow and the colt is quite exuberant when nursing. He slurps, gulps, and bangs those udders half to death - poor mare! He drinks fine from the water trough and hose. Since you've ruled out cleft palate and he's not coughing there's not much to do except get some pics of his baby milk face!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

If you have ruled out other things IMO this is not that unusual especially if momma is a good milk producer and or the foal is an aggressive milker. If there is a concern that he maybe aspirating some, enough to be of concern just check his lungs from time to time with an inexpensive stethoscope. If you hear gurgling I would talk with a repro vet.

I had one do this. I noticed it once in her first week, then not again. She started coughing mildy and had a runny nose at about 30 days. Long, expensive story short, she ended up with aspiration pnuemonia. Her initial endoscopy showed no abnormalities. She would roar every now and again, so as a yearling I took her back to UCD for another endoscopy. She ended up having a fourth brachial arch defect

My foal was boarded, so I honestly dont know how much milk was visable out the nose leading to her getting sick... but I will say please dont ignore even mild signs of something being not right. We thought she had a mild respritory infection and treated her accordingly for 3 days at home. Within an hour one nightI she crashed and went into respritory distress. We loaded her up and took her to UC Davis right away, and it was VERY touch and go for the first couple days in ICU.

Might be a good idea to start listening to the foals lungs on a regular basis Milk out the nose always makes me nervous after the nightmare i went through.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud