The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking ahead for next year.... stallion suggestions?

I am planning to breed my WB/TB mare next year. She is 12 yrs old, and a maiden, so I want to use fresh semen.
    Here are some pics of her:
    http://cherryblossomfarm.net/kalliopy.html
    Here is her pedigree:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/kalliopy

What I want to keep:
    1. The JUMP! She has perfect form, and is incredibly scopey.
    2. Her stride. She has a huge step, and just walks the lines.
    3. Her temperament. She is a total sweetheart, and will let me do anything with her, just because I asked.
    4. Her bravery. She goes first, and will jump anything.
    5. Her soundness.
    6. Her height and build. She is a VERY solid 16.2+ hh, and I do not want any smaller, if possible.
    7. Her color.. at least the black. A pinto is not required, but I prefer blacks or very dark bays.

What I want to improve on:
    1. Her sensitivity. I love how responsive she is, and I can ride her easily -- but most people cannot.
    2. She could have a slightly shorter back and be a bit more rounded through the loins.
    3. She is a good mover, bit more dressage like than hunter, so a bit flatter movement.

So, what stallions would you suggest that are preferably black, are 16.2-17.1 hh (and throw size), have an amateur friendly temperament, a 10 jump, hunter movement, brave, and are available in fresh? (I know, just a few requirements! )
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

A Fine Romance.
    -Jessica

Even though he is showing dressage I wouldn't say he has lofty movement. He might not be flat enough for you.. but other than that, perhaps Steeped In Luck?

http://www.pairadoxfarm.com/page/page/2683044.htm

Perhaps too much size?

I keep toying with the idea of breeding my tb mare to him next year. I want some of that chunk factor!

Ok - You will have to research this guy, but, I think he is worth some research. Appears to be an inch shorter than your requirements, and bay so not black....but....

http://www.redfieldfarms.com/breeding.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxT1...3&feature=plcp

I don't have a suggestion -- but I just wanted to say -- WHAT A COOL HORSE!!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I agree!! What about using a Trakehner Stallion.. I would recommend Buddenbrock.
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

LOVE the sidesaddle pic! What a fabulous mare!

Take a look at Panoramic at:

http://www.truecoloursfarm.com/

A lovely 17.1hh black sabino TB stallon, very elegant and typey, terrific jump with a gorgeous, soft, lopey canter and a terrific hunter type trot on him

Have fun in your search!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Breeding to a bay or black horse is not enough; if you want to eliminate the possibility of chestnut you need one that's homozygous black. Sir Wanabi is, and he would fit many of your criteria.

She is a proven mare and worth spending money on...Popeye. You have to toss the black probably as he has produced bays and chestnuts but I don't think any blacks, so he may be AA. Sir Wanabi would be great too. I'd hold out for Palladio though for the fun of it...keeping the tobiano color maybe...he also has produced black so is Aa. PatO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AppJumpr08 View Post
    A Fine Romance.
    Thank you for suggesting AFR, AppJumpr.

OP, your mare is beautiful, and I love your description of her character! - very best of luck with her, no matter which stallion you decide to use.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Fabuluex. I don't think he'll give you a HACK WINNING trot, but he'll sure give you a terrific canter. He's homozygous black and otherwise fits the bill. I would expect him to give her a little more "short coupledness," which I think would help improve the foal. Fabulous amataur friendly temperment without dullness. Great jump. Brave.

And when the foal turns out to be black and a gelding, sell him to me!!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    So, what stallions would you suggest that are preferably black, are 16.2-17.1 hh (and throw size), have an amateur friendly temperament, a 10 jump, hunter movement, brave, and are available in fresh? (I know, just a few requirements! )
    You should check out Balt'Amour at Marabet Farm. Fits your request to a T. Best of luck!

You should check out Balt'Amour at Marabet Farm. Fits your request to a T. Best of luck!
    Ah! Totally forgot about Balt'Amour! One of the more underutilized stallions out there IMO ...

LOVE him!

Tzigane Pb* - ticks all of your boxes

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think right now I am leaning toward a stallion like Balt'Amour, Fabuleaux, Sir Wanabi, and if I want another pinto, Palladio.

She has plenty of TB blood in her, so I don't think she needs any more, although I do personally like AFR. I don't see much of a show record, real jumping photos, or offspring results with Panoramic, so I can't really judge him.

My major concern with Popeye is that he is available by frozen semen only. I hate to do that with a maiden, as it can get very expensive very quickly.

Tzigane Pb* looks very nice, but seems like more of a jumper/eventer than a hunter. The few photos of Buddenbrock make him look nice, but I can't seem to find any video of him jumping to see how hunter-like he goes.

Steeped in Luck is just too big, I think. However, crossed with a TB mare, I think the foal would be lovely.

Does any one have any thoughts on Gatsby?

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Fabuluex... And when the foal turns out to be black and a gelding, sell him to me!!!!
    LOL, if I go that route, I will consider it. While I would be breeding for myself, I have a feeling that a foal from her by a quality stallion will be a much desired commodity. There are few people who have seen her jump in person that haven't been impressed by her. Consistency is her hallmark trait.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I know he's not black, but Amazing checks all the other boxes you were hoping for.

He's doing really well at shows, and was 1st, 2nd, and 3rd last week at Buffalo during peak breeding season. He even gave a little girl a pony ride

Here are a couple of pics from the show...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high jump.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	35700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lineup.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	35701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aly.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	35702  
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

nothing to add but I always thought she was such a cutie on Diane Crump's website

Yes, I do have someone to add.. How bout Counterclaim?

http://www.flyingcolorsfarm.com/ourstallion.asp

Claim to Fame then Counterclaim is below him

He is 16.2, Hunter, fresh and I bet he jumps like his sire Oh and he is homozygous so 100% pinto and he is a black or bay
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

The Popeyes I have seen have been such a mixed bag. And some seem easy... But the one that aren't seem TOUGH!!! I like him a lot but I don't think I'd choose him given the list of things you're seeking as an improvement on the dam.

I am not a fan of the Palladios I have known and I would not expect him to improve hunter movement. Though he does have the jump and obviously color.

Sir Wanabi is an interesting suggestion. For a really great canter, jump, and short coupling--- another thought is Dacaprio. I don't know if he's homozygous black. I have no idea.

I think highly of Westporte and he'll give you the jump and movement. I don't know about color or size. I've seen them of aaalll different sizes and shapes (all well put together but varied).

I am obviously a bit biased but Fabuleux seemed like the obvious choice because I think he gives you consistency on the thing you're looking to most change-- the quietness-- but not in a dull way. I think if you rode Frankie, you'd think he was that temperment you're looking for. Sensitive and tuned in but nonreactive. And every Fabuleux I've ever come across has had that personality. They're just cool dudes. Not deadheads, just cool.

She is so special, if you go with non-fresh semen--- get some Rio Grande. She is so worth it!!!
    ~Veronica

She is so special, if you go with non-fresh semen--- get some Rio Grande. She is so worth it!!!
    I loved my Rio baby and the lady that bought her from me as a weanling still has her 15 or so years later, but a lot of them can be quite "opinionated" and will argue the toss with you. Overall, I dont believe they are known to be "user friendly" right across the spectrum ...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    I loved my Rio baby and the lady that bought her from me as a weanling still has her 15 or so years later, but a lot of them can be quite "opinionated" and will argue the toss with you. Overall, I dont believe they are known to be "user friendly" right across the spectrum ...
    That's true, but what a STELLAR athlete you'd get crossing her with Rio!
    ~Veronica