The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's that time of year again...heat rash woes

Heat rash never used to be an issue for me until the last year or so. Do any of you have any remedies or topical treatment products you recommend?

I try to keep where it happens (usually my thighs) clean and dry but I don't know if there is anything else out there that might help.

I experienced a heat rash for the first time last year in Hawaii. It was on my upper chest and stomach area. It sucked even more because I was in Hawaii and WANTED to be outside and tan and what not.

I really didn't have much luck with anything topical. Mine went away after I stayed out of the sun for a few days. I just made sure while I was on vacation to keep it as dry as possible and I put on aloe to keep the itchiness away.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Preventing it is the key. I use medicated powder and that white diaper rash cream helps in preventing it also. Is it just a rash or sun poisoning?

I have been bush hogging and have a bit on my butt. I will not wear the same pants I did last time. I do sit on a gel saddle pad, and a dish towel, and usually very stretchy shorts, and do change them when they are beyond sweaty.

I hate heat ass. Well that is what I call it. Yes, key is prevention.

I used to get it horribly bad when riding then got tropical rider's enduracools, and a different saddle. My saddle was not fitting my horse or my butt, new saddle and it went away. But yeah, new tights worked fabulously too. Oh and hanes her way the thicker cotton hipsters undies.

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    Preventing it is the key. I use medicated powder and that white diaper rash cream helps in preventing it also. Is it just a rash or sun poisoning?
    Just a rash. Not actually in the sun today, just in the heat. If that makes sense. I'll have to pick up some powder. That used to help my feet stay dry in paddock boots during the summer.

never had it but wouldn't somethign like desitin (for diaper rash) help settle it down? or jock rot stuff ? (not had that either just thinking out loud,lol)
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

I bought Monkey Butt (it's a powder) as a gag gift for hubby. Wouldn't you know he gives it high reviews for preventing heat rash. Around here they sell it in tack stores, but resently saw it at Walmart.

My cyclist brother recommended the Anti-Monkey Butt Powder to me, and darned if it doesn't work like a charm. He says in cycling circles it's the hottest thing going.

I bought mine at a bike store, but if it's at Walmart it's definitely gone mainstream.

I have just started developing heat rash this year and it's horrible! Yet another reason to hate the heat. Mine gets itchy (and even a little bit "stingy"), but I also develop this dark, mottled patchy discoloration on my thighs. It's ugly and disturbing. I have been using Gold Bond powder, but will try diaper rash cream or the monkey butt stuff. The problem is anticipating when I'm going to need it. I don't usually think of it until it's too late.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I have just started developing heat rash this year and it's horrible! Yet another reason to hate the heat. Mine gets itchy (and even a little bit "stingy"), but I also develop this dark, mottled patchy discoloration on my thighs. It's ugly and disturbing. I have been using Gold Bond powder, but will try diaper rash cream or the monkey butt stuff. The problem is anticipating when I'm going to need it. I don't usually think of it until it's too late.
    That's my problem too. I don't think before it's too late!

I do get a mottled patchy redness on my thighs from the heat.

I'll pick up some diaper rash cream and anti-monkey butt. They actually have a couple different kinds including lady anti monkey butt.