The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Folks, I'm tempted to lock this thread... we already had the Great Bush Vs. Gore Debate back in November. There's no need to go there again.

I'm allowing a somewhat looser rein with regard to staying on horse-related topics because I think a lot of people have other things on their mind. But that is NOT an invitation to rant about whatever subject you're currently PO'ed about.

Neither Clinton nor Gore are currently sitting in the Oval Office. So WHY are we talking about them? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Move on.

Too much emotion and too much wine tonight is not the time to discuss politics. I just want people to remember how united we all felt on September 11th and not to bicker about various parties....I'll not say another word.

Past governorship, a daddy who was President, buddies in high political places -- there is no training in the world, or politically expedient shortcuts, for what the U.S. and its President has gone through in the past week and a half.

Though I'm only a lowly Canadian, a tree-hugging liberal to boot, and I may disagree with some of what's been uttered by Dubya, I have been surprisingly impressed with George Bush.

No, he doesn't possess the gift of the natural orator, yes, he seems surprisingly uncomfortable at times in the media spotlight, his diction may defy clarity at times, but I do think he's trying his very best for the country and its citizens. His greatest P.R. problem is that he's stiffly sincere.

I'll take character over charisma anyday!!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Come alive in 2005!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Being kind of shy myself, and many times at loss for the correct words when confronted, I feel more of a kinship with Bush, than any other President. Like he is human and not perfect!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also hey look at his pedigree, it almost makes me happy we did have him in office at this time of grief and need of cool heads and long thoughts of how to proceed. And most likely advised by his father.

Oh, boy. Having gone to two institutions of higher education where I suspect the students were smarter than average, I am very familiar with the phenomenon that smart people often have a LOUSY ability to . . . convey nuanced affect.

Example A: One of my former classmates from NYC called me to ask if I could plug him into the right people at my firm b/c he was looking for a new job, and he thought my firm might be right for him. Now, this guy is VERY VERY smart. But I suspect he doesn't do well in interviews b/c he lacks the ability to change his affect like a chameleon changes his color.

Matter of fact, law school was REPLETE with people who were BRILLIANT but lacked the ability to convey empathy and sincerity, ALTHOUGH THEY FELT IT.

I have to say, though, that now that George is feeling his feelings to the very core of his being (or at least that is what *I* think), he is conveying his sincerity and feelings more distinctly. IMHO.