The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by In The Gate:

How is badmouthing our former president going to help anything? Many faults you raise with Clinton can also be found with Bush. I suggest you not call Clinton names that are more frequently than not attributed to Bush rather than Clinton<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't heard of Bush screwing interns in the oval office, then asking for clarification of the definition of "sexual relations". Bush was not a draft dodger, either.

For the record, had Clinton actually done his job the first TWO times Bin Laden attacked U.S. citizens, (ramming the U.S.S. Cole, and the U.S. Embassy Bombing) it is unlikely we would be having this discussion at all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Yeah, Clinton is a smooth talker, alright. Most pathological liars are. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm glad Bush is in office and that he has the team of heavy hitters to consult with and decide the best course of action. No wonder Bin Laden is suddenly denying his involvement rather than bragging about it; I think he realized that he has stirred up a nest of angry hornets, and perhaps he bit off more than he can chew. He will burn in Hell. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] The man is a coward, hiring fanatics to do his dirty work while he hides in a cave.

~*~ He who dies with the most tack wins! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ~*~

Wow. There are people who are still finding great personal satisfaction in continuing to think about Clinton's sexual behavior. Flame me if you like, but I'm seeing some kind of voyeuristic perversity there. It is completely irrelevant to the tragedy at hand, anyway. Thousands of people just died and the thing you focus on is the image of someone else having sex?

Aren't we being a little gullible in believing G. Bush to be as honest as the day is long? Just because he TOLD us he is honest? No matter what the party, powerful politicians lie. It's part of getting re-elected. Sooner or later, we will hear about something George W. lied about, or a strategic memory lapse.

Anyway, seeing him in action, having to speak contemporaneously in press conferences, I get worried. Fine - he has adopted a style of speaking that features short, staccato sentences in order to seem decisive and an everyday guy at the same time. That works well for him when he has a prepared speech to read from. But I can't help but notice that he truly has difficulty putting coherent sentences of his own together, and I wonder about the cognitive abilities behind that deficiency.

Sure, I'll stand behind him - he's what we've got for president. I'm just glad that Mr. Powell is a smart cookie, even though he too had some curious memory lapses during Iran-Contra. I really hope they can find the terrorists.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hobson:
    Aren't we being a little gullible in believing G. Bush to be as honest as the day is long? Just because he TOLD us he is honest? No matter what the party, powerful politicians lie. It's part of getting re-elected. Sooner or later, we will hear about something George W. lied about, or a strategic memory lapse.

Gee, Hobson, is the glass always half empty with you? Gullible, No I'm Not Gullible. I have done my homework and studied the man, as govenor of Texas. He was as honest as the day was long! Many politicians lie, wouldn't it be nice to believe that we actually have an honest man in the White House? Why not give it a chance and see what transpires in the days and years to come.

In regards to Mr. Clinton, I doubt seriously that anyone is interested in his sex life, as abundant as it may seem, they are interested in the morality or lack therfore of the man. The man that was our president for eight years. The man who had the opportunity and the means to assist in the eradication of terrorisim, and didn't. That is what people are referring to. Let's face it Hobson, the dude was caught with his pants down! Yeah as an American I was really proud of that one!

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brookes:

Gee, Hobson, is the glass always half empty with you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo!

I've been an avid reader of international newspapers since I was a teenager, and it's made me REALLY jaded about Our Esteemed Leaders of the world and their motivations.

Certainly seems like there is more than the usual level of hostility in some of these posts. The late, great "Bush vs. Gore" debate is seeming tame in comparison.

Hobson, you are not alone. Those of you who have posted elsewhere that the flag-waving looks like chest-thumping, and is scary in itself, I'm also in your camp. People on this board are arguing out of both sides of their mouths - that they don't want political divisiveness during this tragic time, and then stomping anyone with a different point of view. As if the presence of terrorists weren't scary enough, now we have the spectre of a new era of McCarthyism.

And Nimue, I've seen your post on another thread, fanning the flames. Your previous posts seem to suggest that you're a BB regular, using an alter in an ugly, trolling way. Do we really need that now?

Sheesh and yuck.

Hobson, you are correct, this is not the time or the place to bring up former President Clintons many weaknesses. Thanks for the reminder. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Happy Riding,
    SLW

Hobson:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"HE (BUSH) TRULY HAS DIFFICULTY PUTTING COHERENT SENTENCES OF HIS OWN TOGETHER"...

When asked by the WSJ about the expense of a war,
    GWB stated:

"Well I'm not going to aim a 2 million dollar missle at a $10. tent in the desert to hit a camel in the butt."

I'm an oratorical snob (just ask Jennais) AND THAT SURE DOES IT FOR ME. I laughed so hard I almost >>>>>>>>>>>>. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Come alive in 2005!

Charis,

even I will agree, that's a doozy!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've been an avid reader of international newspapers since I was a teenager, and it's made me REALLY jaded about Our Esteemed Leaders of the world and their motivations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does your skepticism extend to leaders of all countries, all religions, all organizations?

Yes, pt, pretty much so. I'm even cynical about Mother Theresa, who cuddled up to the likes of Pinochet and Marcos, giving them her blessings in exchange for donations.

I think Olaf Palme was a trustworthy guy, though. And Joschka Fischer, as far as I can tell, is a man who tries to be consistent, and is honest when he has to compromise his beliefs.

OK, my ignorance is showing.

Who are Olaf Palme and Joschka Fischer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Well I'm not going to aim a 2 million dollar missle at a $10. tent in the desert to hit a camel in the butt." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hot diggity, Bush does have some sense bout him! PETA would be proud [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Hobson, hang in there - this is like the Bush/Gore/Nader routine. Remember ~ Clinton/Bush/Gore are all the same, really, they are. Bill is just a bit friskier then the others!

Ride it Like You Stole It...
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

That quote actually comes from VP Cheney.
    **Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.**

My goal was to end the bickering on this thread.

You, Nimue, do not live in the United States. I do not criticize your government for having not taken out Osama Bin Laden. Bill Clinton's job was not to assassinate people. There is no reason to expect him to have done such a thing.

Bush has his bad points too, as does Clinton. However, I will reiterate myself as saying that now is not the time to criticize Bush.

Analyzing the past will not change it. There is nothing we can do about Clinton's actions or his failure to act.

I think, as I said before, it is time we get back to what this board is intended for: horses.

Erin, just today posted a reminder of the Bulletin Board rules. I think we all need to go read them.

She also has been nice enough to let us have an open forum for discussion. Let's not take advantage of it.

This is a time to support each other. Let's not make the situation any worse than it already is.

Valerie
    ~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
    Valerie's home page

As Americans, we have the right to NOT be "patriotic" if we chose. Disliking a president isn't a crime, neither is choosing not to fly the flag in a private place of business.
    That's the WHOLE IDEA, remember?

it would be nice if everyone could, for the sake of our country and our freedom,at the very least pretend to be rooting for the same team.

I didn't vote for Bush, and I admit that when this first happened last week I was skeptical about his ability to handle the situation. But in the past week, I've grown to admire him.

He's obviously not the best public speaker- he doesn't have Clinton's charisma- but he speaks very plainly and (at least in this situation) from the heart. It was touching to see him choked up- because although he's president, he's also human and is bound to be affected by this tragedy. As I mentioned in another thread, Tom Brokaw got teary when he first saw the picture of the rescue workers raising the flag at ground zero.

I think that in this situation, it's very important to rally 'round the flag- and around our president. C'mon, if I can do it, you can do it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One of the first things Clinton did was declassify everything and mess up the entire intelligence world. He made it "friendly" so to say. That is why I am not a fan of Clinton.

"Come hup you hugly beast!" Surtees
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I am not an American. What happened last Tuesday was targeted on American soil but directed at the world...65 nations were affected...now is not the time to be bickering about Bill Clinton's sex life or whether Bush is a hick. People, let's unite so that we all have a future! I for one was not a Bush fan and was praying that Gore got in because I thought we'd all be better off with an intellectual vs. a cowboy but I have to say that I've been impressed with him so far. He holds the world's fate in his hands...not just yours. I thought that he would have bombed that absolute @#*@! out of Afghanistan and have been thankful and very grateful that he has taken his time. Let's remember how we all felt that fateful day and not digress into petty bickering about politics.

That comment doesn't even warrant a response.