The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did anyone hear or watch Bush's address yesterday afternoon? He looked and sounded like he was choking back tears. It really has humanized him in my eyes. I didn't vote for him, but I'm glad he's our president. In time of war, I suppose it is beneficial to have a Republican president. Money will be funneled into national defense and a coordicated offense. I imagine there won't be any spoofs of our president anytime soon on Saturday Night Live or anywhere else.

George W. has his father's reputation with Desert Storm to live up to and surpass and I believe he will. He's said the focus of his entire administration and presidency is this event. Could he ever have imagined at the start of his term that he would be at the helm of such an unbelievable thing? Could any of us? He will undoubtably go down in history. I support him now more than ever. I can't believe I ever thought any less of this great man.

I support you Mr. President.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Did anyone hear or watch Bush's address yesterday afternoon? He looked and sounded like he was choking back tears. It really has humanized him in my eyes. I didn't vote for him, but I'm glad he's our president. In time of war, I suppose it is beneficial to have a Republican president. Money will be funneled into national defense and a coordicated offense. I imagine there won't be any spoofs of our president anytime soon on Saturday Night Live or anywhere else.

George W. has his father's reputation with Desert Storm to live up to and surpass and I believe he will. He's said the focus of his entire administration and presidency is this event. Could he ever have imagined at the start of his term that he would be at the helm of such an unbelievable thing? Could any of us? He will undoubtably go down in history. I support him now more than ever. I can't believe I ever thought any less of this great man.

I support you Mr. President.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

May God bless him and guide him with wisedom, courage and strength.

SLW

during the 2 Clinton administrations the defense and military budgets were cut and slashed and cut and slashed some more. And some of you wonder how this horrific event happened? It may have happened regardless of the cuts, but it may not have either. Just think about it.

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Jennasis--I am in complete accord with your assessment of our President. His humanity burned brightly--a mirror image of the same grief, pain, outrage and sense of violation that we all feel, as fellows of our fallen. His reaction was neither scripted nor measured--but a genuine outpouring of the same righteous emotions by which we, as Americans, are all consumed--transcendant of political persuasion.

I do not require that my President display a glib flair for the perfectly turned phrase. I do not require that he fashion a flawlessly polished delivery. I only require that his words flow forth from a heart and mind dedicated to the preservation and protection of our shores.

Great men seldom seek greatness--but have greatness thrust upon them--by meeting the challenge of their station. History has borne out this truth time and again.

I join you, Jennasis, in rallying my support behind our President.

[This message was edited by EquiMom on Sep. 14, 2001 at 10:14 PM.]

I am in no way a religious person, but God bless America and our friends around the world. May justice be served in a swift manner without undue loss of any more American and friends' lives. May nightmares of this horror dim, yet the American spirit grow even stronger, with time. The innocent victims, I believe, are in a wonderful place. May the victims' family and friends find comfort from each other and from the incredible "strangers" across the world.
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Just feel the need to point out to msj that the tragic events of this past Tuesday had more to do with potential weaknesses in intelligence and certainly weaknesses in airport security than they did with the size of our military budget.

In total agreement with AHC. I think it was our lack of spending on Anti-terrorist activities that was more at fault than our not spending on building up our military. We have ample weapons, but insufficient information on terrorists, their activities, and their whereabouts.

I also agree that a glib speaking president does nothing for me. I didn't vote for Bush, but I feel more confident than I ever thought I would at his ability to deal with the situation at hand.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

AHC- the leadership at many levels will be scrutinized, including the former Commander in Chief who defiled the Oval Office and pardoned criminals while this attack was being planned in our country.

I was wrong yesterday when I questioned how the FBI for let this slip by, it's bigger than that.

SLW

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

I'm with you Jennasis, how could anyone not be brought to near tears having carried the burden of this country on their shoulders. And to personally witness the pain and suffering.

I also have to believe he will be able to draw directly from his father's experiences. Though I believe the president has great counsel in his cabinet, there is no guidance greater that that of his father.

OMG, while posting this an F-16 or something just went shooting over the top of our house. We have a great Marine Corp Air Station in Yuma. This time it gives me a great feeling of security.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Although I know many feel the former president defiled the Oval Office, I doubt that his sexual activities have much to do with the events of this past week, SLW.

How about we just stand behind the man who holds the office now and support him as he deals with a very difficult time in our history....

AHC! Good statement.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

My friend who was on a tour in the White House during this,Tuesday morning, had toured the FBI Offices on Monday the day before the attacks.
    When asked what they were doing about the Drug War, the person answered that they are not concentrating on the Drug War but on the TERRORIST Problem!!!
    This was on Monday!!!

I was glad to see our President have emotion and admit to it.
    Better than Bin Laden and his terroist followers who have no concern or emotion for anyone but themselves.
    Bin Laden himself lives in a cave, while his followers sacrafice an do his dirty work for him.

God bless America, and may he give all of us, from the president through to people the strength to survive and prevail through this.

My horse and I marched in the Presidential Inaugural Parade for Bush last January. I feel extremely honored that I had this opportunity to support this President in his Inauguration. (Plus, he said he that one of his favorite parts of the parade was the sidesaddle horses :-)!)

It is wonderful that both Republicans and Democrats are dropping political divisions and petty arguments to join together to face the horrible events of this week. It is wonderful that people are supporting our leaders and creating a unified front to handle the results from these events.

God Bless America!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

one of the difficulties with our intelligence system is that we often insist upon playing "fair" with people for whom fairness is a totally alien concept. While in principle, this is admirable, in reality it does handicap our side in many ways.

Some of the most striking observations I've heard in the last few days have been the ones relating to our policies about informants and intelligence gathering. How we have placed so many restrictions on who can be recruited (we don't wan to pay, gasp, any *criminals!*... so please could our intelligence officers ONLY deal with NICE terrorists who don't have a record...), effectively tying their hands behind their backs in many ways.

I do believe, that in these kinds of counter terrorist efforts, that people must and do get their hands dirty. And frankly, I'm OK with that. No, I don't like the knowledge that the money we've paid an informant or a spy could easily be used to purchase weapons which are later possibly used against us. But since there are few choirboys in the organizations we are fighting, I don't believe that we have much choice if we wish to have any kind of early warning system or effective prevention in place going forward.

To appreciate heaven well
    'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
    Will Carleton (1845-1912)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Lucasb! Wonderfully put, and sooo painfully true. They oversight committees and the budget cuts in intelligence over the past eight years have crippled us in so many ways. These terrorists want to fight dirty, fine, we'll show em'!, let's just keep it quiet so all the bleeding hearts don't get to put in their 2 cents! (Preparing to duck under my desk for upcoming debate!)

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

lucassbb, this is what I heard a Republican senator saying on the radio two nights ago, and it made more sense than anything I've heard so far. We aren't in a position in this case to take the high road -- the risks are too great.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Flamesuit on!

Give the guy a Kleenex and tell him to get to work. After all, it is weakness (many)that put us in this place.

I am a lifelong Democrat. I had the pleasure to work for a national hero (and Marine) who would bring high school kids to tears when he said the Pledge of Allegiance. Do I think that character is important and proper phrasing and use of the bully pulpit is critical? D#$% right!

Everyone here wants to blame Bill Clinton. Why?

I'd rather follow a Rhodes Scholar straight to the outhouse than a whining C- Yalie into the White House. GAAA!! Save those people in the elevator! Get those people back to work. Make sandwiches, donate, do something. Don't sit there and cry about it.

I wouldn't turn the care of a sick horse over to someone like this. Get moving, do something!

Lucassb- Since 1995 the CIA has not been allowed to pay informants. Is that what you are thinking of?

AHC- it's not about *sex*; it's about lying, impulses and not being the right person for the job. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I sense we have two different, and opposite, expectations of our leaders and I will respectfully not try to *recruit* you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

KAM- I still recall the rainy January parade, it was a fabulous unit you rode with in Washington!

SLW