The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Well, last night was Jimmy Rices first official meeting as our new leader and what a great job! Much was discussed!

Horse show commitee met first. Most talk was about revamping the prize list and getting started with the hiring of judges. If anyone has requests please e-mail myself or BRILYNRTRIP. Dressing up the facility was another topic. If anyone knows or has a nursery we are looking for donations of, plants, shrubs, trees or anything of that sort. If we all pull together and talk with your local nurserys every little bit will be one big major-WOW look how great it looks.

At the regular PHA meeting we discussed of course the dinner dance. We talked about how we need to change the presentation of the James Walsh Award. We need to grab the rooms attention a bit more so we talked on the current president handling that with a projector at the same time so we could have a visual also.
    The actual awards went smooth and quickly[thanks Ken Johnson] but Bobby Savage pointed out how we should at least write something in the program to say a little extra about the champion in each division and what a great idea that was! Thanks Bobby.
    Mary O'conner[who did a great job with the photos that night] was put in charge of a new on running project of collecting more for a future L.I. Hall of fame project. So, on that note, keep those pictures coming!
    Our spring seminar was put in motion. We are hoping to pull together one with a course designer, jumper rules and Judge to come and speak. Karin, Mary and I have already started working on that so we can pull it all together as soon as possible.
    Claire came and was introduced to all.[our hopefully future website person!] Looking forward myself to mondays LIHSAA meeting to get that rolling among the other 10,000 things!!!

As usual, Janet, what did I forget!!!? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

Well, last night was Jimmy Rices first official meeting as our new leader and what a great job! Much was discussed!

Horse show commitee met first. Most talk was about revamping the prize list and getting started with the hiring of judges. If anyone has requests please e-mail myself or BRILYNRTRIP. Dressing up the facility was another topic. If anyone knows or has a nursery we are looking for donations of, plants, shrubs, trees or anything of that sort. If we all pull together and talk with your local nurserys every little bit will be one big major-WOW look how great it looks.

At the regular PHA meeting we discussed of course the dinner dance. We talked about how we need to change the presentation of the James Walsh Award. We need to grab the rooms attention a bit more so we talked on the current president handling that with a projector at the same time so we could have a visual also.
    The actual awards went smooth and quickly[thanks Ken Johnson] but Bobby Savage pointed out how we should at least write something in the program to say a little extra about the champion in each division and what a great idea that was! Thanks Bobby.
    Mary O'conner[who did a great job with the photos that night] was put in charge of a new on running project of collecting more for a future L.I. Hall of fame project. So, on that note, keep those pictures coming!
    Our spring seminar was put in motion. We are hoping to pull together one with a course designer, jumper rules and Judge to come and speak. Karin, Mary and I have already started working on that so we can pull it all together as soon as possible.
    Claire came and was introduced to all.[our hopefully future website person!] Looking forward myself to mondays LIHSAA meeting to get that rolling among the other 10,000 things!!!

As usual, Janet, what did I forget!!!? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

Don't know if you addressed the following issues in your discussions about class/division specs guys...and though I've discussed these briefly with Karin, I'm not sure I have done it in a way to bring it to the LIHSAA board's full attention and consideration:

And that is:

1) the matter of the Low Children's Eq being a blanket 2'3" in height--since the Small/Med CH Ponies jump 2' and the Large CH ponies jump 2'6, could we not have the riders in the Children's Eq division jump the same height they will jump in their hunter classes? (Same with horses?) It seems that the Sm/Med's are jumping the eq too high, and the Larges are jumping the eq too low--and wouldn't eliminating the 2'3" blanket height also eliminate the need at most shows to stop the ring to adjust the fences ONE more time?

My second concern:

2) is that we need to (re)develop the equitation division so that it can stand alone, recognizing riders for moving up and making progress, not just going for another high score award or using the eq as a warm-up for the hunters...none of the eq courses below mini's are geared toward rider development--ie progressing over incrementally more difficult courses that would serve to encourage the development of more competent riders...the idea of the equitation division as one which need not require a monumental investment in horseflesh but would reward rider ability is very appealing, in my opinion, and ought to be considered seriously by those who are charged with designing the specifications. Different levels of equitation should exist, and have different levels of difficulty beyond changing the height and leaving the courses identical to the hunter courses...this is VERY IMPORTANT TO THE FUTURE--we saw in the photographs of our PAST what riders are capable of, but presently, I do not see many if any riders around who could duplicate those feats--let's inspire young riders and their trainers to do better, not by taking away from what they are doing presently, but by adding new challenges for them to meet. Please be brave, and seriously consider this important issue!!!

cc: to all LIHSAA board members that I have e-mail addresses for

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we need to (re)develop the equitation division so that it can stand alone <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mary O'Connor - I love you. Not only do you say nice things about my riding, we also agree about the eq division!!!!

By the way, that horse had the DIRTIEST stop in the world - when he went around, we kicked butt against fancier & bigger - OF and on the flat; when he stopped, there was no power on earth that could keep me on him.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

It has been, and will continue to be, brought to the LIHSAA's attention, that the eq situation is a mess and needs serious fixing. As far as the height of the jumps in the Children's Eq on Ponies go, I'm not sure that it is a LIHSAA concern. Your idea is good, but I thought eq specs were each individual show's own doing. I may be wrong on this--

Deb- your update was great. I only have one thing to add to it- It looks like we now have over $2200 pledged for the Footing Fund. This was raised from donations from Jim Rice, George Lukemire, and myself, and the 50/50 Raffle at the dinner. Every little bit helps- Please, if you or your farm come to the shows and use that ring, donate a couple of bucks to make it a really nice ring. Your donation is tax-deductible!!

So with new footing, some flowers and shrubs, and the roadway worked on the show grounds won't be recognizable!! Come on, Guys, we need everyone to make an effort!!

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

be happy to write some letters to "likely" sponsors....

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

and I am in total agreemet with you on your eq. beefs but as Janet stated it is not a matter LIHSAA has any control over. the eq. classes are not LIHSAA pointed therefor we do not have any right to put stipulations on them. That is a management call. The course designer is also the person who sould be challenging these riders on your other issue.
    hmmmmm.... wouldn't it be great if we have a seminar about designing courses and hope all managers and course designers from our local shows come and get some tips!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

year's PHA show the sm/meds had to do the eq division 3" higher than the children's hunter division that followed it, while the large ponies used the same classes as a warm-up that was lower than the classes they would jump next....just doesn't make sense...maybe, Deb you could pass this observation on to this year's manager? (this "custom" was also practiced at most other shows, I thought it was an official LIHSAA "spec" but I guess not?)

As for the second concern...I strongly feel that the LIHSAA could take the lead on that one--work WITH show managers to create some kind of incentive (recognition for moving up, achievement certificates, or something--note I am NOT in favor of counting points in this case....) and specifications for jump-starting the eq division. There USED to be LIHSAA ride-offs at the end of the year in many divisions, not just short stirrup and open...Leadership on this issue has not been forthcoming from shows and course designers are only as good as the specs that the class calls for (ie, if the AHSA Pony Medal class didn't require 2 tests in the first round, how many times do you think the test would be offered? Nah, those that use it for a warm up for the Pony Hunters would want to feel out those lines, and nothing more....). Passing the buck along to the shows and to the course designers is a cop-out, in my opinion...I know we have immediate priorities that have to take precedence over revamping this division, but once those issues are settled, it will be time to turn the attention to improving things elsewhere.

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Felt that shot but it was only a flesh wound!! lol I really and honestly don't know how LIHSAA can do that but I am up for suggestions. On that note, example- all the Adult eq. classes are on the hunt course with hunter type courses so in my opinion this really does not promote true adults eq-ing so if we put it in the main ring with incentives how many horse show managers could fill the adult eq.? See the dilema?
    Stevie Nicks

...when LIHSAA Adult Eq was filled when it did take place in the main ring..and there was normally a heck of a shootout come finals time (in the Main Ring at Old Field)--but I'm not suggesting that Adult Eq is the right place to start; sorry, but it it probably too late for the adults to learn new tricks, so a top down approach will not work...no, it is the junior eq, starting with the lowest levels that needs to be looked at, overhauled, tweaked and re-tweaked--if you do this with the idea of building something from the bottom up, you will, over the course of a few seasons (or earlier, you might be surprised to find) end up with a group of strong young riders who have been able to make progress because of the system, not despite it, because of their own abilities, not because they are privileged enough to be sitting on some top dollar horse or pony. And you might, in the process, strengthen the local show scene so that those who would like to move up won't necessarily be forced to move on... As for the flesh wound
    I consider it an honor to have placed this challenge before y'all--!! I might point out that at many shows over the past couple years, the pony jumper division has been in this same fix--chicken and egg--the good thing about the eq division is that it only costs the price of the set of ribbons to offer; prize money isn't a consideration (unless there is scholarship money at stake--remember the incentive part?? I do have some very interesting ideas for creating incentives...). Now I also realize that first things first--but I didn't want you guys to get the impression that once the immediate future is taken care of that the pressure would be off!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

I would like nothing more in time to put some things you talk of in motion. To strengthen the L.I. horse shows.! At this moment unfortunatly, we have some managers that do not even send their results in and do not have the consideration to see the havoc that causes. These things are what make me wonder if some would even want to work on bettering their horse shows and our L.I. riders. They do not seem to want to work with LIHSAA at this point. Can there be hope, really, of what you speak of?

Ha-Ha- too late. Flame suit has been on for quite a bit already!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

Here's an idea for raising some money for the
    new footings at Yaphank.

Could you add a line to the prize lists,
    something like they do for the Drug Fee?

i.e.,
    DONATION TO YAPHANK SHOWGROUNDS' NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART FOOTINGS REVITALIZATION FUND.....................................$1.00
    (Donations are tax-deductible. If you do not wish to contribute, please cross out.)

The IRS and AAA do this all thie time.

Paying an extra dollar with show fees might be easier for people than sending in a check.

Re: James Walsh presentation at next years
    awards, please see one of the last replies on
    page 10 of LIPHA-December thread where I put down several ideas for creating a more exciting, interactive show.

Later...
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

is exactly why the LIHSAA and PHA must continue to grow stronger, and why the inspiration for change has to come from that direction...HOPE???? are you kidding? Look at what has been done already!!! You gotta be kidding! Just wait and see--no, actually, there is no time to wait, just you keep pushing those roadblocks out of the way and let them all watch in amazement!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Jump off- trust me, that post was on my mind at the meeting. Where do you think I got some of those ideas. Trust me, we are realing you in on that project weather you want to or not!!! lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Time will tell Mary. At least I know we have a great bunch of people now that are ready to dig heals in. I believe that word is starting to spread!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

No one is interested in the Eq Divisions anymore. How do you fix that? Shows use the eq classes as warmups, which doesn't help the "different course, different ring" ideas. Incentives? The Hunters have it all over the Eq in that department. In years gone by, many would do 2 or even 3 divisions at a show. Now the expense and wear and tear on the horses is a factor. Remember, people used to show maybe twice a month and that was considered alot. Now they go weekly and twice a week.

I have always been in favor of the Ladder System, maiden, novice ,limit, etc., but it does not work in today's shows. It is a shame.

I don't think that finals is the answer either. They haven't worked for the Adults for a long time. Or the Mini's, for that matter.

There is no quick fix but, I agree with Mary, it has to be addressed. It is just one more thing that the new board will have to put on its agenda.

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

I personally am an Eq girl at heart..although I've only been doing the Lows, I would love to get into the Eq again...But the classes do seem to be really small if they fill at all!!!

**Barb**
    **BARB***

I'm not saying it will be easy to repair, but for the sake of horsemanship and the art of riding, (as opposed to salesmanship and the art of translating money spent into ribbons won) it is worth trying to rebuild...of course the ladder system needs to be returned to...and the reason the eqs are only hunter warmups is that old chicken and egg thing once more...but that is another reason that starting from the ground up, with the younger riders is the way to go--sorry, but the time has already passed for riders who are already using those classes to warm up their hunters...no one is suggesting that those who are already doing too many divisions for their horses own good should do more. No, the riders I want to attract to the eq divisions of the future are only in leadline now--they will follow the only path open to them (hunters/spend to win) unless we give them another option (equitation/skills progression)...I am suggesting growing a division from scratch basically, not teacing old dogs new tricks...What I'm saying is, that we need to (re)invent another type of dog, or should I say "puppy" since whatever we end up with it will be small to start with. Humor me for awhile Janet--eventually we will get there.

p.s. I think what I have in mind will serve to KEEP riders, who otherwise would depart for other activities, in the sport--not deplete the market for hunters. A nice hunter will always be a very desirable and sought after animal, but not everyone can afford one, or to campaign for the high score awards and year end finals (ie Zones, indoors), the eq division should be there both to prepare riders to go on to bigger and better things (ie Young Riders, jumpers) and to encourage the art of riding and horsemanship for their own sake; the nice thing about the eq division is that it needen't take a lot of money to excell in it if it is structured correctly.

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Jan. 09, 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONYPULR:
    Remember, people used to show maybe twice a month and that was considered alot. Now they go weekly and twice a week.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Janet has hit the nail on the head with that one! Being we have so many shows here in the summer months that is a major factor. So, continuing on that note, some of those shows top off at 30 horses and are in major LIHSAA violations that in the past meant nothing to them.I think it is time to start having them 'pay' the consequences on them to start the uphill swing to being on top of things. Then,hopefully, shows will try to bring back a dying breed of eq. and move forward in all directions for they will see how we want the quality of shows to improve. I for one- would love to see these eq. classes befor the hunters gone and replace them with lower, real eq. classes in the main rings! Give the kids one schooling hunter class befor their actual hunter class and give the others the same fence height in the main ring if they truly want to eq. But-at this point, managers would say they make a lot of money in those classes so how can LIHSAA fix that snag?

If you'e going to keep me thinking Mary I shall do the same to you!! lol [the flesh wound has already healed!! lol] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

POINTS...we areen't going to change their habits, and the motivation for doing that will not change...the reason they are doing those extra rounds over the same course they will be doing their hunter classes over, is to get an EDGE over the competition, by practicing in advance. Their competition, in turn, is forced to up the ante by doing the same...I repeat, we are not going to change these habits---if you renamed those extra classes "monkey -see-monkey-do" classes, they would still fill, and the managers would still make money on them...I'm not even suggesting that they be eliminated--trainers want them (more money for coaching), managers want them (more money from entries), but we don't have to kid ourselves by calling them "equitation classes", or kid anyone else by contending that they are advancing the art of horsemanship or equitation.

As I've said, we need to start with the youngest riders and develop an alternate path, from scratch, that will serve to keep many riders in the sport who otherwise would drop out for lack of funds or lack of interest in the hunter division, and encourage others to play along as well...that was a "thinking" dart I lobbed at you Deb--no lasting damage could occur!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

That one bounced right off!!!

Points. Ahhh. I'm so glad you metioned that word. Last time I took someone to Harrisburgh, Washington or the Hampton Classic for that matter I still missed the warm up class! lol So, When will we all realize we are not preparing our riders for the points we are determied to chase? The eq. classes expecially befor the Zone 2 classes, must go, and put the kids and Adults in the real eq. ring with courses to match. I believe the money for horse show managers and trainers alike will still be there. Then, maybe we will get people to drive over the bridge! Because then, we will have better quality shows. Then the trainers over the bridge will possibly come because they are not watching L.I. give either riding lessons in an open warm up or having 35 ch. eq. kids jump around befor the real deal is going! Now, again, please tell me how LIHSAA can put that in motion?

Flame suit again is on! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks